Random Irritations

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
We’ve caught a client lying about an issue, rather than own up they’re now throwing mud around which means we’ve got to waste time disproving their nonsense.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Travelling with other people. Because one of the crew had an earlier flight we've all had to travel to the airport early. Five hours in Hamburg airport before my flight.

On the plus side, at least I'm going home.

I don’t miss Hamburg airport. Head Office was/is in Lubeck.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Volkswagens touch controls! I have the rental VW Golf and just drove 300+ miles. Whoever thought they were a good idea? They are distracting and slow to respond so you are taking your eye off the road. Even the touchscreen is slow to react. What was actuall wrong with dials, knobs and switches?
What are you changing while driving that means you are being distracted? Surely if it’s that important you just pull over?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Volkswagens touch controls! I have the rental VW Golf and just drove 300+ miles. Whoever thought they were a good idea? They are distracting and slow to respond so you are taking your eye off the road. Even the touchscreen is slow to react. What was actuall wrong with dials, knobs and switches?

Haven't they said now that manufacturers need to move more back to button control after all this rubbish?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I had the pleasure of a mate’s Seat Ateca for a couple of hours yesterday. Thankfully, mostly knobs but trying to find what I wanted from tiny greyed out icons down either side of the touch screen at 120km/h was interesting. I gave up…

BiMGuy

Visit site
No, he’s right. Too much is put through the touch control panel and pulling overtime you want to change something(heating/sound levels or anything else) isn’t practical.
How often do you need to change the heating settings? Do you really need to change them via a touch screen while driving. I would have thought any modern car would have volume control on the steering wheel, along with the ability to change radio stations.

What is so critical that it needs changing while doing 120kph?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How often do you need to change the heating settings? Do you really need to change them via a touch screen while driving. I would have thought any modern car would have volume control on the steering wheel, along with the ability to change radio stations.

What is so critical that it needs changing while doing 120kph?

Does seem a nice to change rather than a must change

Voice control does most of it but it's really temperamental 😆

HeftyHacker

Visit site

We've a 2014 Peugeot 308 as a runaround and all the auxiliaries run through a slow, unresponsive touch screen - It drives me mental.

The most annoying thing for me is the fact it doesn't automatically remember my audio choices for next time I get in so I always have to go through the rigmarole of selecting my phone through the Bluetooth before I set off.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does seem a nice to change rather than a must change

Voice control does most of it but it's really temperamental 😆
I've had 4-5 cars with voice control. Only one, a Seat, actually worked. The rest were useless and never used again after the first week.

Regarding the mk8 Golf, I think I read that the next incarnation will go back to having some buttons again. The total touchscreen set up has been universally hammered.

In terms of what you might want to change whilst driving,

Heated seats on, then off
Close vents when going through a tunnel, Tyne tunnel up here
Rear demister on/off
Change radio stations
Change from radio to podcast (linked from phone)

These are top of the head things and really shouldn't need pulling over to do. Simple press of a button or turn and press a dial by the drivers left hand, minimal distraction, no more than checking your speed. Going through multiple touch screens, entirely different level.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've had 4-5 cars with voice control. Only one, a Seat, actually worked. The rest were useless and never used again after the first week.

Regarding the mk8 Golf, I think I read that the next incarnation will go back to having some buttons again. The total touchscreen set up has been universally hammered.

Rear demister on/off
Change radio stations

These are top of the head things and really shouldn't need pulling over to do. Simple press of a button or turn and press a dial by the drivers left hand, minimal distraction, no more than checking your speed. Going through multiple touch screens, entirely different level.

Both my cars have auto demister, the Kia has auto vent close for tunnels! That was a nice surprise

Radio I can flick through my favourite stations via the steering wheel controls

Heated and vented seats are on buttons on mine

But then most of them are on buttons not hid behind screen

BiMGuy

Visit site

Rear demister on/off
Change radio stations

Are all of those really on a touchscreen?

I’m surprised anything built in the last 10 years doesn’t have the ability to change radio stations or modes from controls on the steering wheel.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Are all of those really on a touchscreen?

I’m surprised anything built in the last 10 years doesn’t have the ability to change radio stations or modes from controls on the steering wheel.
The 19 year old Citroen C3 has radio controls on the end of the windscreen wiper stalk. The 11 year old Skoda Rapid does not.

Neither has touchscreen controls, because neither has a screen.