Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The contribution towards the honeymooon is quite common these days but I am not a fan of anything that involves giving cash. Also seen requests for cash for house deposits and other things. All perfectly normal these days but cash gifts are just not for me, if I am gifting something at a wedding, it will involve some thought and be something that can be used and remembered years down the line (still using glassware from my wedding 20 years ago).

So, those are my thoughts, it is quite common now but not something that I approve of.
I guess you and I are very different people - I despise having to put thought into a gift as I'm always clueless and I hate the idea of getting it wrong and my gift going straight in the bin. People asking for money instead is an absolute God-send. :LOL:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The money towards honeymoon is common and I'd agree rather that than something they really don't want or need. Think it's a bit rough you aren't on the invite too - or at least ler her choose if you are her +1 for the night! Although my husband would be delighted to not have to go!
I'm delighted not to be invited.
My wife hasn't even seen or been intouch with her ex workmate since she retired 3 years ago and only ever met her granddaughter in passing a few times.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
The wife just received an invitation to an ex workmate's grand daughter's
( evening)wedding reception .
I'm not invited :eek:and she's expected to go along with another female ex workmate
This was attached , As you know we have been living together for quite a while and have everything we need for the household
But if you would like to gift us a small amount towards our honeymoon it would be appreciated .
What's your thoughts ?

I didn’t know it was a common thing in British culture to give cash. ?‍? An Indian colleague said their weddings gifts are to tune of thousands of pounds in cash. He went to India just before Christmas for three weeks to two weddings and professed he was skint.
Last wedding I went to was 2017 in Barbados and I bought my friends a painting of a monkey off the bloke who sold weed and aloe vera on the beach. It’s up on the wall at their home so they must like it! ?

Thoughts. They’ll be no cash gifts or gifts at my wedding and I’m certainly not giving cash over at others.

RichA

Visit site
The contribution towards the honeymooon is quite common these days but I am not a fan of anything that involves giving cash. Also seen requests for cash for house deposits and other things. All perfectly normal these days but cash gifts are just not for me, if I am gifting something at a wedding, it will involve some thought and be something that can be used and remembered years down the line (still using glassware from my wedding 20 years ago).

So, those are my thoughts, it is quite common now but not something that I approve of.
We got married over 20 years ago. It was fairly low key and there was no wedding list. People gave us gifts that they probably thought were very tasteful and useful. I'm sure a few people got some real bargains from the charity shop when we disposed of them in mint condition a couple of years later.
I love a wedding invitation that politely asks for a bank transfer in lieu of a pointless thing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Quite nice to remember who gave you it as a wedding present when you pick it up and use it decades after…money for a honeymoon…doesn’t quite do it for me.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm not invited :eek:and she's expected to go along with another female ex workmate
This was attached , As you know we have been living together for quite a while and have everything we need for the household
But if you would like to gift us a small amount towards our honeymoon it would be appreciated .
What's your thoughts ?

So from an ex’s g’ daughter who doesn’t know her from Adam(Eve). I would thank them for the invite but not go.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What's your thoughts ?
Forgive my words, but my initial thinking is "don't they have enough real friends and family to invite?"
As for giving money for the honeymoon, I wouldn't.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The cynic in me thinks they may be thinking who will gift the most cash!

I have the same thought with evening invites. Don't like them anyway as you are turning up half way through a party and it feels awkward. You turn up as the people the couple don't like enough to turn up to the actual wedding. Would rather just an invite to the church. Been to more than a few where I feel some of the evening guests are just the invited cash cows. Call me cynical but that is sometimes how I feel.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm more likely to remember a honeymoon than remember who bought us our third unused teapot. ?

That’s why you have a gift registry. No danger of duplicating the gifts then…It is common though with more couples “living in sin” nowadays to ask for cash?.
Going to a wedding in Northumbria in May, they sent some twee poem basically asking for cash but as the weekend is going to cost me £500+ in hotel costs it will be a reflected in the offering.?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
That’s why you have a gift registry. No danger of duplicating the gifts then…It is common though with more couples “living in sin” nowadays to ask for cash?.
Going to a wedding in Northumbria in May, they sent some twee poem basically asking for cash but as the weekend is going to cost me £500+ in hotel costs it will be a reflected in the offering.?

Does that include the green fees... ;)

AliMc

Visit site
Was at a wedding reception in the west of Scotland of a friend of my wife, the best man's speech was hilarious, he said that he had been asked to help sort out the seating arrangements and they had eventually decided to have those who gave the best gifts at the front and graded to those who didn't at the back, so thanks to Uncle Jim for the 40 inch TV and Auntie Jean for the teapot, that said I'm not comfortable with folk asking for cash and would be delighted not to be going !