Random Irritations

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Post Christmas cold calling seems to have ramped up today.

Sorry, as soon as someone who I'm fairly certain isn't called Dave, says his name is Dave, the phone goes down.

Several already today before 9am.

New BT handsets during lockdown with call blocking; if your number is not in the phone you have to announce yourself and wait to see if you are accepted. Not one nuisance call since it went in, down from around a dozen a day.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
How difficult it is to get a builder out to estimate a job building a dormer extension. That's 3 now cancelled on the day they are supposed to be out. Do they not want work?
Our clubhouse is Grade 2 listed and need Windows replacing, they guy who normally does them says he worked booked in for next 9 months until he can get to us

D-S

Visit site
New BT handsets during lockdown with call blocking; if your number is not in the phone you have to announce yourself and wait to see if you are accepted. Not one nuisance call since it went in, down from around a dozen a day.
Same here, originally bought one for my elderly mother who was being plagued by these scammers.; it was so good we bought one for ourselves, very good free bit of kit.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
How difficult it is to get a builder out to estimate a job building a dormer extension. That's 3 now cancelled on the day they are supposed to be out. Do they not want work?

Lad I play football with is a builder, he was saying he’s fully booked up until the end of 2023. He doesn’t need any more work at the minute and often doesn’t go to price up jobs. Not great but that’s the reality of it at the moment.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lad I play football with is a builder, he was saying he’s fully booked up until the end of 2023. He doesn’t need any more work at the minute and often doesn’t go to price up jobs. Not great but that’s the reality of it at the moment.
That is fine, but if he says he is going to price up a job, then that is what he should do. They will be the first to start moaning when word gets round they are unreliable and don't get work.
We have had about 5/6 people out to quote on a new bathroom and only 1 got back to us with a quote. We said we knew we would have to wait, and were willing to wait but they still didn't get back to us. Made me want to break my habit of not leaving reviews!

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Post Christmas cold calling seems to have ramped up today.

Sorry, as soon as someone who I'm fairly certain isn't called Dave, says his name is Dave, the phone goes down.

Several already today before 9am.

I normally respond “if your names Dave then mine is Rahul Dravid” then hang up.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hear this quite often, across all trades people. A genuine question, why doesn't he take on extra people? The demand is there so covering wages isn't an issue. In this instance is your mate happy being the size that he is?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hear this quite often, across all trades people. A genuine question, why doesn't he take on extra people? The demand is there so covering wages isn't an issue. In this instance is your mate happy being the size that he is?

Yes he’s happy as is, he was telling me he has another pal who has two building businesses and they are also booked out solid for a couple of years, my mate said he just couldn’t be bothered with the hassle of running a bigger company.
His biggest issue now is the cost of materials has rocketed since he put some quotes in last year, he now has to submit new higher quotes and see if the customers will accept them, but like he said though, if they don’t accept them there’s a long queue of people ready to step in and have work done.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes he’s happy as is, he was telling me he has another pal who has two building businesses and they are also booked out solid for a couple of years, my mate said he just couldn’t be bothered with the hassle of running a bigger company.
His biggest issue now is the cost of materials has rocketed since he put some quotes in last year, he now has to submit new higher quotes and see if the customers will accept them, but like he said though, if they don’t accept them there’s a long queue of people ready to step in and have work done.
That's fair enough, I understand that. There is a real opportunity out there to build a sizeable business if you want to but I do get it can be an easier life, at times, if you keep small.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

If only it were that easy. There is a massive shortage of skilled people in construction. There is even a shortage of not so skilled people.

It’s also a ball ache to employ people if you are a very small business. It’s a ball ache if you’re not too, but there are often other people to deal with the problems. It’s a hassle most people can do without.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get asked the same question, but its finding/knowing someone who you trust and know will do a good job, and them wanting to do it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If only it were that easy. There is a massive shortage of skilled people in construction. There is even a shortage of not so skilled people.

It’s also a ball ache to employ people if you are a very small business. It’s a ball ache if you’re not too, but there are often other people to deal with the problems. It’s a hassle most people can do without.
I get asked the same question, but its finding/knowing someone who you trust and know will do a good job, and them wanting to do it.
I run a small business so totally understand the issues with staff, hassle, will they do a good job etc. If you ever go to a gathering of small business owners and get asked about the biggest problems that you face, top 3 is the standard ice breaker, staff is always in the 3 for everyone there.

When you are booked out for a year though, and could get even more business if you wanted then it is what most businesses dream of. Not for all though so I would never criticise.