Random Irritations

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I
I run a small business so totally understand the issues with staff, hassle, will they do a good job etc. If you ever go to a gathering of small business owners and get asked about the biggest problems that you face, top 3 is the standard ice breaker, staff is always in the 3 for everyone there.

When you are booked out for a year though, and could get even more business if you wanted then it is what most businesses dream of. Not for all though so I would never criticise.

I know you do, and I wasn’t having a pop. I work for myself, but because of who and where I work, the only 2 people I would trust and use are 1 too close to retirement and not wanting it, and 2, not wanting to come back to this.
The problem is many don’t appreciate certain trades as they are “only a......” and that doesn’t help either.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes he’s happy as is, he was telling me he has another pal who has two building businesses and they are also booked out solid for a couple of years, my mate said he just couldn’t be bothered with the hassle of running a bigger company.
His biggest issue now is the cost of materials has rocketed since he put some quotes in last year, he now has to submit new higher quotes and see if the customers will accept them, but like he said though, if they don’t accept them there’s a long queue of people ready to step in and have work done.

plenty round here are only quoting for labour and then adding "materials at cost" on top rather than a complete quote

getting trades to quote is hard, getting them to actually do any work all but impossible currently

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a partially blind corner where everyone takes a quick turn. Due to the nature of the houses and footpath, you dont expect anyone there. Somehow the parking overlords have decided to allow a parking spot about 10m or so from the turn. I am sure this is within the rules, but whoever parks there is a brave person. Someday, it will get hit. If only the council had moved it back another 10m or so from the turning, it would give drivers some reaction time rather than brake suddenly.

(before i am flamed out, I am pretty sure it is a legal spot and the great british common sense says that drivers should slow down before turning into a road.... but...)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
1) Got a parking ticket.
2) Appealed against it.
3) No response till the last day, so went ahead and paid the lower fine
4) Next day got an email saying, appeal uphead and they will refund it.
5) Refund will take 6 weeks or so!!!

So I should pay up within 7 days but they get to sit on it for 6 weeks!!. A month into the process, still waiting for the refund

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How difficult it is to get a builder out to estimate a job building a dormer extension. That's 3 now cancelled on the day they are supposed to be out. Do they not want work?

I'm desperate for a roofer to do some fascias and soffits. Have had 4 out to estimate. 1 no show. Got two estimates back. Accepted one in August and now they've stopped responding to us asking for an estimate when the work might start.

So if you know any... ;)

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm more likely to remember a honeymoon than remember who bought us our third unused teapot. ?
I think it was an extended family member that set up a website with their honeymoon itinerary, so people could go on there and pay/contribute to a specific excursion as a wedding gift whilst they were on honeymoon (a meal in a nice restaurant, a helicopter trip, etc), so you knew what you had paid towards and they were able to thank people specifically for that trip/excursion - possibly a bit better than just asking for money.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I had a boss that would often pull that stunt. After a good few similar occasions I told him the next time he asked with zero notice he wouldn’t get it. Never had a problem after that.

We get that a lot from our stakeholders abroad. "Please can you give us (something that is planned for next month and takes a few weeks to do) today?"

"No, you can have it next month, in line with the rest of the business' requirement"

"But I need to present this afternoon..."

HeftyHacker

Visit site
That's fair enough, I understand that. There is a real opportunity out there to build a sizeable business if you want to but I do get it can be an easier life, at times, if you keep small.

Exactly what my brother in law has done. He was a self employed plumber who's taken on a couple of lads in the past 6 months as he was struggling to manage the workload. He says its been a godsend and has helped with his reputation with his customers as one of the lads is happy to work whenever which means he's been able to take on weekend work etc.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How difficult it is to get a builder out to estimate a job building a dormer extension. That's 3 now cancelled on the day they are supposed to be out. Do they not want work?

Most of the good ones are rammed, guy who did ours I keep in touch with and recommend him to others (bit far from you ofc) he did a quote for a friend of ours and said couldn't fit her in until autumn 2022 (this was spring 2021) the building trades on a massive boom he said ,plus it's a cost effective way to get more space pushing more people to get them instead of move with the crazy house market

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just imagine if a pedestrian is waiting to cross there after January....;)

The pedestrian should know better than trying to cut that bit. 10m up the road, he/she/it will be able to see traffic in 3 directions (it is a T-junction). No sympathies from me

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do I always offer to help out?

Offered to be a DSE assessor at work. Our last one retired just before covid and we need a new one. They asked me because I'd be one of the few who would actually keep up with it lol

Now I'm stuck in a teams meeting on my day off as that was the date for the course that I could make lol

Mind numbing

D

Deleted member 3432

Why do I always offer to help out?

Offered to be a DSE assessor at work. Our last one retired just before covid and we need a new one. They asked me because I'd be one of the few who would actually keep up with it lol

Now I'm stuck in a teams meeting on my day off as that was the date for the course that I could make lol

Mind numbing

Schoolboy error...

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Assume there wouldn't be repercussions if you did but guess you got through it in the end even though you'll never get that lost time back. Is it going to add to your workload?

Yes and no... I can do most of it no problem

Its just chasing people to do their risk assessments .. I checked it's every 3 years they need doing and about 30 of the 65 need doing this year lol 10 are expired