Random Irritations

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That’s why you have a gift registry. No danger of duplicating the gifts then…It is common though with more couples “living in sin” nowadays to ask for cash?.
Going to a wedding in Northumbria in May, they sent some twee poem basically asking for cash but as the weekend is going to cost me £500+ in hotel costs it will be a reflected in the offering.?
What hotel are you staying at ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Rather than just giving cash, if a couple had been living together for some time, I'd rather give a decent valued voucher for something like M&S, Amazon, Next, etc and let the couple buy something at a future date.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Mastermind contestants who haven't a cat in hell's chance of winning yet still make ridiculous guesses rather than pass.

I don't watch it much as a rule, but if you pass (you still don't get a point) but you can lose by having more passes than someone else with whom you have the same points.
So, fewer passes is better than more. They've probably been briefed to play it that way beforehand.
But if you haven't got a cat in hells chance of winning, I don't suppose it matters anyway.?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't watch it much as a rule, but if you pass (you still don't get a point) but you can lose by having more passes than someone else with whom you have the same points.
So, fewer passes is better than more. They've probably been briefed to play it that way beforehand.
But if you haven't got a cat in hells chance of winning, I don't suppose it matters anyway.?

Exactly...they waste time trying to think of an answer they know is wrong but refuse to pass.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Giving the maid who cleaned our room and she could not be bothered to say thanks. Actually Mrs3OTT gave her the tip I did not think she deserved one. not really into tipping unless exceptional service.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Getting asked to provide detailed spreadsheet of training costs as I'm walking out of the department and then told its needed asap today. Up at 4.30 and in by 6.00. On second coffee!!Annoyed to find out the person needing the info knew this was needed today at the weekend and so could have asked me yesterday morning

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Getting asked to provide detailed spreadsheet of training costs as I'm walking out of the department and then told its needed asap today. Up at 4.30 and in by 6.00. On second coffee!!Annoyed to find out the person needing the info knew this was needed today at the weekend and so could have asked me yesterday morning

I had a boss that would often pull that stunt. After a good few similar occasions I told him the next time he asked with zero notice he wouldn’t get it. Never had a problem after that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Still occasionally, on special occasions, will use my grandparents wedding present cup sand saucers...the elegant cups and saucers especially are beautifully decorated...and when we use them I remember my grandparents and my parents and give thanks.

Do we ourselves have anything from our wedding that any grandchildren might use? Well hopefully our Royal Worcester dinner service will still be around and worth using.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On the subject of weddings and honeymoons, it really annoys me when people say they are having a mini moon, meaning a short break, usually in UK, instead of a 2 week extravaganza to the Caribbean, or similar. What they really mean is they can't have a long honeymoon for whatever reason but feel too ashamed/posh to say so. The getaway after a wedding is the honeymoon - full stop. No need for stupid phrases and words. Nearly as bad as Staycation!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
On the subject of weddings and honeymoons, it really annoys me when people say they are having a mini moon, meaning a short break, usually in UK, instead of a 2 week extravaganza to the Caribbean, or similar. What they really mean is they can't have a long honeymoon for whatever reason but feel too ashamed/posh to say so. The getaway after a wedding is the honeymoon - full stop. No need for stupid phrases and words. Nearly as bad as Staycation!
Not what it used to be though. 4 weeks (whole length of moon's phases) with lots of mead involved was likely to 'encourage familiarity and procreation'. Not a massive consideration these days.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Still occasionally, on special occasions, will use my grandparents wedding present cup sand saucers...the elegant cups and saucers especially are beautifully decorated...and when we use them I remember my grandparents and my parents and give thanks.

Do we ourselves have anything from our wedding that any grandchildren might use? Well hopefully our Royal Worcester dinner service will still be around and worth using.
I very much doubt it. We have collected Royal Doulton and Waterford over the years and know full well that they will be sold by our children when we pop our clogs.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I very much doubt it. We have collected Royal Doulton and Waterford over the years and know full well that they will be sold by our children when we pop our clogs.
My aunt used to collect various pottery, lived near to Stoke, including dinner sets as well as figures. Her worries were her two daughters fighting over who would have what. When she died they all went to the charity shop, neither had any interest. My mum, her sister, was mortified but came to realise there was no point keeping the stuff in a box, never to be used. What one person likes is not necessarily what the next generation will want. Enjoy it for yourself, don't worry about what happens to it afterwards (exactly as you are doing (y))

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My aunt used to collect various pottery, lived near to Stoke, including dinner sets as well as figures. Her worries were her two daughters fighting over who would have what. When she died they all went to the charity shop, neither had any interest. My mum, her sister, was mortified but came to realise there was no point keeping the stuff in a box, never to be used. What one person likes is not necessarily what the next generation will want. Enjoy it for yourself, don't worry about what happens to it afterwards (exactly as you are doing (y))

HID watches a load of these programmes like Antiques Road Trip and one thing that is very clear is that a lot of this stuff like dinner services, figurines and pottery, unless extremely rare, never makes a huge amount of cash. The mother in law has a lot of this sort of stuff and we're already thinking about how much its worth wasting time seeing if it is worth anything against getting rid to a charity shop.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
HID watches a load of these programmes like Antiques Road Trip and one thing that is very clear is that a lot of this stuff like dinner services, figurines and pottery, unless extremely rare, never makes a huge amount of cash. The mother in law has a lot of this sort of stuff and we're already thinking about how much its worth wasting time seeing if it is worth anything against getting rid to a charity shop.

Is it worth sticking it in an auction? Yes, you'll lose on fees but you should get something back for it. Can then donate that to the chairty shop if you so wish.

We recently did this with a load of stuff my dad and stepmum had when they moved and downsized. There were several dinner services and assorted junk that they no longer wanted and were going to chuck away. Took them to the local auction house and got them to get rid of it for us.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Is it worth sticking it in an auction? Yes, you'll lose on fees but you should get something back for it. Can then donate that to the chairty shop if you so wish.

We recently did this with a load of stuff my dad and stepmum had when they moved and downsized. There were several dinner services and assorted junk that they no longer wanted and were going to chuck away. Took them to the local auction house and got them to get rid of it for us.

That may be a road worth going down. Hopefully not an issue we'll have to worry about for a good few years to come