Random Irritations

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
You'll get it back in April, I wouldn't worry too much. If it's urgent harrass the provider to sort it.

I think HMRC are doing "next month" real time adjustments to incorrect codings.
In September I noticed that I was put on a Month One code (so taxing me on that income rather than cumulative over the year) and when I phoned, they had added uncoded income (Dividends from the previous year that weten't yet due to be declared - utter clowns, but thats another rant).
I asked if I would get a rebate in April and she said no, it will be readjusted the following month and, for once, true to their word it was all adjusted out in October.

According to the advisor, this is to prevent them needing hundreds of staff in April doing adjustments retrospectively. Not sure of thats true but it sounds plausible, if not a little too sensible for HMRC.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I work also. After a pay rise they were supposed to be changing my tax code so that my normal pay would be adjusted.
As I suspected, income isn't simply from military pension. That was probably the simplest/first source of income that was generated after your tax code was re-calculated - though £200 seems a considerable amount for 1 (or maybe 2?) month/s additional income. Was it a promotion? Does total income push you into the higher tax rate (not already part of your 'normal' tax consideration?). Excuse the 'prying'! Happy for a vague reply! It'll probably be re-calculated (perhaps better/more conveniently) in April.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheeky banks / building societies

My friend wants a joint account so explained how our one works with the freebies etc

Thought I know if she gonna join might aswell do the recommend a person (£100 each) free cash

"Due to covid we have paused this"

Cheeky .. swear the banks are making the same money regardless .. all the mortgage pausing to "help" people they charged interest

Mandofred

Visit site
I've still got to get off my butt and call the tax folks.....I need a UK nat.insurance number or equiv since I will owe tax for the first time in the UK. I probably only go over the limit by a couple thousand from my American social security. One of the crazy tax weird details. I owe tax in the US for my pension......but tax on my social security in the UK.....hey, it's in the treaty. The good thing is that my wife should be eligible for part of my US social security so will be able to draw some money in another 1.5 years.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do it sooner rather than later, end of January is a busy time for HMRC as thats when tax returns are due, not to mention that theyre already too busy administering some of the covid schemes ie SEISS

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Johnathan Ashworth. He has been an absolute pain during the last 9 month and has the ability to argue that black is white over anything.

just wish he would give life a break

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I suspected, income isn't simply from military pension. That was probably the simplest/first source of income that was generated after your tax code was re-calculated - though £200 seems a considerable amount for 1 (or maybe 2?) month/s additional income. Was it a promotion? Does total income push you into the higher tax rate (not already part of your 'normal' tax consideration?). Excuse the 'prying'! Happy for a vague reply! It'll probably be re-calculated (perhaps better/more conveniently) in April.
not a promotion. The companys pay scales were all re-aligned and i had a massive pay rise. This happened a year ago and in that time my tax code has changed about 3 times.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
New Year is seen as a positive by many but I always feel down at this time of year. Can't help but see another year has flown by and another year closer to death (to quote Pink Floyd). January is the worst month. Have no motivation for anything really. Obviously tier 4 and everything making it ten times worse than other years. ?