Random Irritations

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have two large conifer hedges to trim back in our front garden. Neither planted by us, previous owners. Anyway, it's a big job and usually I over do it and can't lift my arms the next day. This year I decided to be sensible, do a side and an end each day for the next few days, leaving the top until last. Weather forecast was good, nice and dry for the next 4-5 days. First strip done yesterday, all went well. I was talking to a neighbour who was painting his fence, 'don't rush' I said, 'weather is going to be good until next week'. I wake up this morning, it's hosed it down. Air is damp and misty still ☹️ . I look a plank to my neighbour, it's put my plan back :rolleyes:

We’ve got someone coming tomorrow to cut our hedges, expensive but I’m buggered if I’m going to do it 😳🤣

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We’ve got someone coming tomorrow to cut our hedges, expensive but I’m buggered if I’m going to do it 😳🤣
I was going to get someone to do it this year, it's my most hated job at home, but just back from holiday and I've changed my car. This year on me again ☹️ . Next year,...........a proper man is definitely coming in. It's money well spent.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I love doing mine, my pride and joy and a bit of a focal point in the village.
Brought it back from an overgrown uncared for mess over a period of 26 years.
It had major surgery about 4 years ago when a pair of randy young bullocks decided to go through it as a short cut to get to the ladies next door.
They put a few dents into Lady Doon's wee UP as well, the joys of countryside living. :rolleyes:
Thinned it down and shortened it over the years and apart from the first cut of the season all 30 yards of it is now cut by hand.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love doing mine, my pride and joy and a bit of a focal point in the village.
Brought it back from an overgrown uncared for mess over a period of 26 years.
It had major surgery about 4 years ago when a pair of randy young bullocks decided to go through it as a short cut to get to the ladies next door.
They put a few dents into Lady Doon's wee UP as well, the joys of countryside living. :rolleyes:
Thinned it down and shortened it over the years and apart from the first cut of the season all 30 yards of it is now cut by hand.

You’re welcome to come down to Tyneside and do mine, they’re only about 60 metres long so a doddle for you 🤣

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Airbnb hosts who fill the photo section with arty pictures of towels on a bed, wine bottle on a table etc. It does zero to sell the property, just stop wasting time with these pictures.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
And yet it's allowed to be on EVERY STUPID YEAR!

Sadly, the stabbings and assaults will probably be regarded as collateral damage by those who grant any licences and permits required. Much like those who have been killed or seriously injured as a direct result of the lunacy otherwise known as smart motorways.

Billysboots

Visit site
Dont know aout GMaps.. but Waze shows a speedometer and it compares against what it thinks is the speed limit of the road.. and it will go Red if you are over the limit. I think there is a setting, where it will verbally warn you if you go over.
Very useful esp if you have an BMW/Audi which dont have speedos as standard

Agreed. I’m not sure why there is a suggestion of wild inaccuracy - in my previous life when dealing with this sort of stuff there was an acceptance amongst experts that GPS speed recording is extremely accurate, certainly more so than speedometers on older cars which routinely read around 10% over.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed. I’m not sure why there is a suggestion of wild inaccuracy - in my previous life when dealing with this sort of stuff there was an acceptance amongst experts that GPS speed recording is extremely accurate, certainly more so than speedometers on older cars which routinely read around 10% over.
Agree. I have used GPS to gauge how accurate my car speedo is in the past. It's well known that car speedo's are over generous so it is useful to see how far out they actually are.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree. I have used GPS to gauge how accurate my car speedo is in the past. It's well known that car speedo's are over generous so it is useful to see how far out they actually are.
Yeah I've noticed that with Google Maps. While my car says I'm doing 70-71mph on the motorway, Google will be telling me I'm actually going 66-67. I find it quite a handy feature anyway, as it will show in red if you've gone over the speed limit, so it's a decent warning to slow down.

RichA

Visit site
The GPS speed on my old Honda satnav over a decade ago was pretty good. The Google Maps one has been very reactive so far. I drove over 200 miles at 70mph on Wednesday and it was constantly fluctuating between 20mph and high 60s.

Billysboots

Visit site
The GPS speed on my old Honda satnav over a decade ago was pretty good. The Google Maps one has been very reactive so far. I drove over 200 miles at 70mph on Wednesday and it was constantly fluctuating between 20mph and high 60s.

That’s really unusual. Must be an issue with the GPS signal where you were. Or a vehicle issue - daft as this sounds, whenever I deliver a Jaguar at work, especially slightly older models, I have found it virtually impossible to get a GPS signal in the car - it’s like driving a mobile nuclear bunker.