Random Irritations

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The hype on the BBC news about Gavin and Stacey. It’s just a TV show, not real life.
The BBC plug the heck out of their shows now, on news, radio etc. It's shameless really. It isn't real, it's entertainment, and it's getting this publicity because it is one of their own.

I listen to a Richard Osman podcast about the entertainment industry, The Rest is Entertainment. It's very good. Anyway, he often makes the point that no matter the hype regarding a tv show, a film, a book, etc far more people don't watch it, aren't interested etc than do watch it, are interested. Hype way out weighs the reality. No matter the subject, yes, that includes Taylor Swift and Oasis 😄 . It's good to remind yourself of that every so often.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What? It's not real???

(In case it wasn't spotted the first or second time, the above is not a serious remark)

I thought the originals were finny and had a charm about them. I was living in south Wales, but spending the week working in Canary Wharf, and saying at my cousin in Loughton at the time. So lots if resonance.

I thought the last Christmas Special was really weak and should have be left alone. I am not expecting much of this year's.
Could the same not be said of the last couple of Only Fools specials which were nowhere near the level of other Christmas ones with the exception of Miami Twice which I thought was dreadful)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A pint of Morretti, £7.

Jeez! I baulk at €5 a pint. My local in the village is €3.20(£2.70). Lately, I’ve been getting local prices, a pint and a coffee for €4.00.

Although not published, there’s two & three tiered pricing here in Spain. Spanish pay one price, tourists pay another price and expats speaking a bit of Spanglish often pay something inbetween, or even the Spanish price.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
That's remarkable. Golf club or a "Social" Club?
Last week I visited a pub in the Gower. A pint was £5.35. I said to the young lady who served me, and this true, "I served behind this bar over 50 years ago. A pint was 1/10d and the till was manual. So how much was 3 pints?"
Then the voice in my head (aka my wife) said "Sit down, you old fart".
Five bob and a tanner.

Which pub was it?

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a social club.
I was also in the Gower a couple of weeks ago and noticed how reasonably priced things were.
We were staying in Three Cliffs Bay and also noticed how much rain there is in Wales!
Holidayed there for many years in my childhood. Nice walk down from the Gower Inn with Pennard GC up above.
Rain?
I just spent three days at Langland and Oystermouth/Mumbles.
Scorchio!

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Rail Fares in this country..

Buying season ticket for my son to go to school... it is the next station on the line. Fares till half term (1 month and 14 days)... for 5 - 15 year olds. ... (drum rolls) £94.50!!!! It used to be in the 70s till last academic year - and I thought that was a rip off

At this rate, i can drive him to school everyday rather than drop him off to the station.

(Stats via google).
  • Average Journey Time. 0hr 7 minutes.
  • Distance. 6 miles - 9km.

RichA

Visit site
The speed indicator that's just appeared in Google Maps navigation. What's the point? It's wildly inaccurate and the car has a speedometer.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The speed indicator that's just appeared in Google Maps navigation. What's the point? It's wildly inaccurate and the car has a speedometer.
Dont know aout GMaps.. but Waze shows a speedometer and it compares against what it thinks is the speed limit of the road.. and it will go Red if you are over the limit. I think there is a setting, where it will verbally warn you if you go over.
Very useful esp if you have an BMW/Audi which dont have speedos as standard

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Audi, have some rust on the outside of my front rim, car is 4 years old, said I need plenty of notice for inspection, they’ve just phoned to take car in on Monday and I’m home on Wednesday 🤬
They also have no idea when the next time an inspector will be here.