Random Irritations

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So presumably you need to have your computer, bank card and gizmo with you to do what can be done with just a phone.
That sounds like an unnecessary degree of faff.

My bank cards don't even leave the house. Google pay for everything .. if a card is stolen they can tap tap before you block it.. with a phone they need your fingerprint most time. Plus I can't remember last time I carried my wallet .. driving licence digitally stored

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My bank cards don't even leave the house. Google pay for everything .. if a card is stolen they can tap tap before you block it.. with a phone they need your fingerprint most time. Plus I can't remember last time I carried my wallet .. driving licence digitally stored

Unfortunately, we have to carry a Residencia card here in Spain, along with the original driving licence. No great shakes to add a bank card, plus there’s a good few businesses will only take cash.

RichA

Visit site
Have you just added it to your Apple wallet or is there actually an official way of doing it so it's recognised as a licence?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most wont accept a driving licence on a phone as it doesn't work with the hologram. No hologram = easy to manipulate. I wasn't aware of this but my daughter mentioned it to me, she is 22 and so often needs to show ID.

Incidentally, I'm with you. Never carry cash, only use my phone for payments etc.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you just added it to your Apple wallet or is there actually an official way of doing it so it's recognised as a licence?

Most wont accept a driving licence on a phone as it doesn't work with the hologram. No hologram = easy to manipulate. I wasn't aware of this but my daughter mentioned it to me, she is 22 and so often needs to show ID.

Incidentally, I'm with you. Never carry cash, only use my phone for payments etc.
Post office id is an app that proves your age , it's free

Some don't accept the driving licence but being 37 I not proving age normally so a picture is acceptable at the tip

When we do take away at work I try and get everyone to pay pal or transfer me. We have a few "cash is king" conspiracy people though

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
So presumably you need to have your computer, bank card and gizmo with you to do what can be done with just a phone.
That sounds like an unnecessary degree of faff.
I don't use my phone for any money transactions - I have a card and the PINsentry in a drawer next to my computer, so it's not a big deal for something I probably use less than once a month.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
They really don't degrade. They will if all the stars are lined up but in reality that doesn't happen. Don't flush them, they just cause problems.

Most things that claim to be biodegradable really aren't. Bags, plastics, wipes. They will still be around years later.
So just marketing?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
New Siemens Dishwasher is now installed. Got it to run and all that. Looks like a good kit.

Unfortunately, it can also be controlled via mobile. I hate connected devices (one more thing to go wrong). But being the geek that I am, I decided to go full monty and set up remote connectivity.
1) The german catalogue is no good. Siemens may make good products, but their documentation is atrocious!
2) So i had to sit there and try different things including watching YouTube videos.
3) Finally got it to all connect. It was easy, once i found the right sequence. In the meanwhile also ended up factory resetting it a couple of times.

Now the biggest irritation. Once it was set up, it tells me that it has to install a software update!!! For my safety and Security a new patch is required. Please keep the dishwasher switched on and the phone connected. Can take upto 10 mins.
I have lost a good 2 hours of what should have been a 20 min job.

The worst bit... i never intend to use remote switching on and status checks on my dishwasher. But like an EV (and it will make @PJ87 jealous), the app spews out a ton of data - water usage, soap level, energy usage etc.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
New Siemens Dishwasher is now installed. Got it to run and all that. Looks like a good kit.

Unfortunately, it can also be controlled via mobile. I hate connected devices (one more thing to go wrong). But being the geek that I am, I decided to go full monty and set up remote connectivity.
1) The german catalogue is no good. Siemens may make good products, but their documentation is atrocious!
2) So i had to sit there and try different things including watching YouTube videos.
3) Finally got it to all connect. It was easy, once i found the right sequence. In the meanwhile also ended up factory resetting it a couple of times.

Now the biggest irritation. Once it was set up, it tells me that it has to install a software update!!! For my safety and Security a new patch is required. Please keep the dishwasher switched on and the phone connected. Can take upto 10 mins.
I have lost a good 2 hours of what should have been a 20 min job.

The worst bit... i never intend to use remote switching on and status checks on my dishwasher. But like an EV (and it will make @PJ87 jealous), the app spews out a ton of data - water usage, soap level, energy usage etc.
Its pointless and waste of time. Can it load or unload your dishwasher?.....Of course not.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So just marketing?
Afraid so. One of the products we deal with is wipe material and I've had this chat before with mfrs, same with plastic bags. For them to degrade you need them in direct sunlight, at a particular temperature (warm) and another couple of things which I can't remember off the top of my head. Any aspect not happening, it won't degrade. Even if it did it would take a couple of years or so.

It won't degrade in a sewer, nor landfill etc. The conditions need to be ridiculously precise and that doesn't happen in the real world.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thread drift/people not reading the original post!

In particular, those posting on the thread regarding NRs in competitions that I started earlier this week which specifically asked about the highest numbers of NRs people have seen in a competition. People are now answering with how many time they have NR'd - and these are people who probably moan about politicians not answering the questions ;)

RichA

Visit site
Thread drift/people not reading the original post!

In particular, those posting on the thread regarding NRs in competitions that I started earlier this week which specifically asked about the highest numbers of NRs people have seen in a competition. People are now answering with how many time they have NR'd - and these are people who probably moan about politicians not answering the questions ;)
Shouldn't this be in the Golf Random Irritations thread? 😎