Random Irritations

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Treated myself to a bespoke suit for my wedding from Henry Poole & co. Not cheap but planned to only do it once. Still got it and jacket still fits. Trousers now too tight but tempted to see if they can do anything to alter it although rarely use any sort of suit these days
14 years ago my club had a centenary ball. Proper dinner suit (ie. Tuxedo) required. I went to Moss Bros to hire one and discovered buying one was only twice the cost. So I bought one. Haven't worn it since, and now it's way too big (having since lost about 10 kilos).

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not evolution, it's misuse of the language.

It's like ''ahead of''
''The England team arrived today, ahead of their match on Thursday''
No, they arrived before their match on Thursday
You cant arrive ahead of something that hasn't happened yet.

And while I'm at it....
The investigation is ongoing.
No it's not, it's an ongoing investigation.

And don't get me started on ''for free''

Now, where are my pills?

................... and 'The furniture sale ends Monday'.
No, Tuesday ends Monday, the furniture sale ends ON Monday. :mad: :mad: :mad:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So we can’t use the term bespoke unless it refers to the purchase of a suit?
I suppose unles we are at sea we can’t say someone is groggy or if they are drunk is three sheets to the wind? Or tell someone to pipe down? Or talk about a slush fund or losing money hand over fist?
I agree with the wrong use of a word which blurs meaning but borrowing words and idioms from other industries and pastimes is what happens all the time.
Using bespoke as a term for, for example, something made for a particular customer that doesn’t happen to be a suit should be perfectly acceptable.
I don't agree.
A bespoke kitchen isn't made from kitchen materials that have been set aside for that customer. The kitchen hasn't been spoken for. However, ''made to measure'' is already used to describe a suit and a kitchen and is used to describe something made to fit a specific room/person.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
If you get fitted for a set of golf clubs are they bespoke? 😬
Not if they existed before your fitting. They would have to be manufactured after your fitting.

During the manufacturing they would be bespoke.

They take your measurements and then pull a set off the shelf - either on site or from another place - is how it usually works.

D-S

Visit site
I don't agree.
A bespoke kitchen isn't made from kitchen materials that have been set aside for that customer. The kitchen hasn't been spoken for. However, ''made to measure'' is already used to describe a suit and a kitchen and is used to describe something made to fit a specific room/person.
And groggy doesn’t now just mean someone who has drunk too much grog, they don’t need to be displaying the identical symptoms of consuming too much rum to be called groggy. I assume that the current use of the word groggy is not a random irritation
Even the meaning of the word grog has changed over time to now describe a variety of alcoholic beverages, this I guess is also acceptable.
This is exactly the evolution of language by the appropriation of terms from other areas of life.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not if they existed before your fitting. They would have to be manufactured after your fitting.

They take your measurements and then pull a set off the shelf - either on site or from another place - is how it usually works.

But the cloth for a suit is already manufactured and it’s just off a roll 🤷🏻‍♂️
I’m just being stupid btw 🤣

Voyager EMH

Visit site
But the cloth for a suit is already manufactured and it’s just off a roll 🤷🏻‍♂️
I’m just being stupid btw 🤣
The cloth is manufactured, but it is not necessarily for a suit. It could cover a sofa.

Once the cloth is designated for a particular suit for a particular customer, then it is bespoke.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
If you accept that the Oxford English Dictionary is a suitable authority, then yes.
Bespoke - made specially, according to the needs of an individual customer.
Unlikely.
More likely that the clubs have already been made before the fitting.
They find a customer that fits the clubs that have already been made. This does not meet the OED definition.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The cloth is manufactured, but it is not necessarily for a suit. It could cover a sofa.

Once the cloth is designated for a particular suit for a particular customer, then it is bespoke.

Hmmm, I’d bet that cloth for a suit is specifically manufactured for that use only, I can’t imagine walking around town looking like I’ve come straight out of IKEA 🤣