Random Irritations

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If you get fitted for a set of golf clubs are they bespoke? 😬

Yes. ;)

Even back in the mists of time, 1500’s, it could be used in past participle, verb or as an adjective. 500 years ago the English language contained a lot less words, and pinching a word to use differently was quite common. As the number of words expanded so its usage became narrower but more recently, almost through laziness, usage has expanded again.

More recently we’ve seen “gay” and “woke” used very differently. Sometimes it irritates, and saddens, but it’s just a natural expansion/contraction/expansion of any language.

What can be of interest is to use an old English translator. For example, the word “aet” was very common 500 years ago. The modern version is “to.” Figure that one out…:oops:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I’m more concerned about the people that think Language is set in stone!

It’s been fluid ever since we started grunting and pointing at things! 😁
I guess that's aimed at me.
I've got a four legged pet, with fur, a tail, a wet nose and barks.
I'm going to call it a cat.
Is that fluid enough for you?

PaulMdj

Visit site
Yes. ;)

Even back in the mists of time, 1500’s, it could be used in past participle, verb or as an adjective. 500 years ago the English language contained a lot less words, and pinching a word to use differently was quite common. As the number of words expanded so its usage became narrower but more recently, almost through laziness, usage has expanded again.

More recently we’ve seen “gay” and “woke” used very differently. Sometimes it irritates, and saddens, but it’s just a natural expansion/contraction/expansion of any language.

What can be of interest is to use an old English translator. For example, the word “aet” was very common 500 years ago. The modern version is “to.” Figure that one out…:oops:
😬 If the cap fits…

Attachments

• IMG_6522.jpeg
    IMG_6522.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 15

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Hmmm, I’d bet that cloth for a suit is specifically manufactured for that use only, I can’t imagine walking around town looking like I’ve come straight out of IKEA 🤣
This could be true for many cloths, but not necessarily all cloths.
A fairly plain tweed could be multipurpose.
Any material in a tailor's shop could have the "potential" for other uses than clothing even though the intention is for it to be for clothing only.
But once it is designated for a suit for a particular person, then it is bespoke.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Yes. ;)

... a lot fewer words ...