Random Irritations

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Sitting waiting for British Gas to arrive to change the Smart Meter to one that works properly....
3rd time of asking...expecting the cancellation text within 20 minutes....šŸ˜ž

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was due to play in a comp this morning. Every forecast I looked at was horrendous, massive band of rain heading north, and heavy rain all day. It duly started raining about 9.30, so I cancelled my booking. Looks like about half the field did the same.

It is now dry and has been for the last half hour.

edit - spoke too soon, it's battering it down now!

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bit my tongue in my sleep last night. Very painful, woke me up at 4am.

7 hours later it now feels like I've burnt the end of it, struggling to eat or drink anything as a result.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Random flippinā€™ irritation?!

Currently helping sort out my friendā€™s estate. I ring the DWP to stop in benefits, again. I ring his bank.

Short version; arrrrggghhh! ā€œYou need to come into the office with a notarised copy of his death certificate.ā€

ā€œReally, but Iā€™m in Spain. Iā€™m not trying to claim, Iā€™m trying to stop his benefits and stop you paying into a bank account, again, that youā€™ve just paid into today 3 weeks after you were told heā€™d died.ā€

5 advisors later, including 2 hours on hold. ā€œLook, this is the situation. Iā€™m going to scan in a copy of the Spanish death certificate and send it to you. Iā€™m going to send a copy via registered mail. What you do now with that information and the copies you will receive is up to you.ā€

ā€œSorry sir but you need to present a notarised copy to the DWP office in Bolton. Until then we will continue to pay his benefits.ā€

ā€œNot my problemā€¦ā€

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
AO been and gone this morning..new dishwasher set up. Brilliant service

Knocked at the door with my "free" water bottle that they give out ATM. Also gave me 2 green teddies for the twins

Eldest very upset she didn't get a teddy.

Shame I couldn't hide them from view before they spotted them
Just buy another dishwasher and you'll have one to give away and one for yourself. Sorted! (y)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Missus has bought a treat for the dog. It's basically fish based but it is shaped in a knot and is hollow. Apart from the stink, it makes a hell of a noise when he eats it.
For anyone who has listened to Old Harry's Game, it's the same noise that is made when Scumspawn is instructed to eat himself.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was due to play in a comp this morning. Every forecast I looked at was horrendous, massive band of rain heading north, and heavy rain all day. It duly started raining about 9.30, so I cancelled my booking. Looks like about half the field did the same.

It is now dry and has been for the last half hour.

edit - spoke too soon, it's battering it down now!
Played this morning at 10:00. Full foulies and brolly up for 18 holes in July. šŸ˜¢

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've posted this several times before so I don't think it counts as random anymore.

HMRC. Jebus is there an organisation as poor as this anywhere in the world. Systems that are akin to mid-2000's tech, that aren't interconnected and can remain incorrect for days, sometimes weeks, at a time.
Coupled with the fact that they set the rules for contractors but don't seem to understand them or know how to deal with quite common occurrences and then result in having incorrect information that I have to tell them how to fix and then, nearly a week later, is STILL showing wrong.

But if you owe them... then damn, they fast!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've posted this several times before so I don't think it counts as random anymore.

HMRC. Jebus is there an organisation as poor as this anywhere in the world. Systems that are akin to mid-2000's tech, that aren't interconnected and can remain incorrect for days, sometimes weeks, at a time.
Coupled with the fact that they set the rules for contractors but don't seem to understand them or know how to deal with quite common occurrences and then result in having incorrect information that I have to tell them how to fix and then, nearly a week later, is STILL showing wrong.

But if you owe them... then damn, they fast!

They are awful. It took me about a year to get them to finally stop messing with my tax code and allocate it to my pension which became my sole source of income. I say sole source - I could earn 25p and I swear they'd allocate the whole tax free allowance to that source. Every time they said it was the computer...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
In the olden days, if you wanted a suit, you went to a tailor. You got measured up and the cloth you chose for the suit was set aside so nobody else could use it.
The cloth was then spoken for your suit which was shortened to be bespoken until it became bespoke.
So your suit was made from the cloth that was bespoken for.
So, unless you're buying a suit, naff off ''bespoke''
:geek:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
In the olden days, if you wanted a suit, you went to a tailor. You got measured up and the cloth you chose for the suit was set aside so nobody else could use it.
The cloth was then spoken for your suit which was shortened to be bespoken until it became bespoke.
Your missive bespeaks erudition.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Treated myself to a bespoke suit for my wedding from Henry Poole & co. Not cheap but planned to only do it once. Still got it and jacket still fits. Trousers now too tight but tempted to see if they can do anything to alter it although rarely use any sort of suit these days

D-S

Visit site
Well thatā€™s the evolution of language already killed off first thing in the morning.

Whatā€™s next on the hit list?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Well thatā€™s the evolution of language already killed off first thing in the morning.

Whatā€™s next on the hit list?
It's not evolution, it's misuse of the language.

It's like ''ahead of''
''The England team arrived today, ahead of their match on Thursday''
No, they arrived before their match on Thursday
You cant arrive ahead of something that hasn't happened yet.

And while I'm at it....
The investigation is ongoing.
No it's not, it's an ongoing investigation.

And don't get me started on ''for free''

Now, where are my pills?

D-S

Visit site
It's not evolution, it's misuse of the language.

It's like ''ahead of''
''The England team arrived today, ahead of their match on Thursday''
No, they arrived before their match on Thursday
You cant arrive ahead of something that hasn't happened yet.

And while I'm at it....
The investigation is ongoing.
No it's not, it's an ongoing investigation.

And don't get me started on ''for free''

Now, where are my pills?
So we canā€™t use the term bespoke unless it refers to the purchase of a suit?
I suppose unles we are at sea we canā€™t say someone is groggy or if they are drunk is three sheets to the wind? Or tell someone to pipe down? Or talk about a slush fund or losing money hand over fist?
I agree with the wrong use of a word which blurs meaning but borrowing words and idioms from other industries and pastimes is what happens all the time.
Using bespoke as a term for, for example, something made for a particular customer that doesnā€™t happen to be a suit should be perfectly acceptable.