Random Irritations

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
To be honest I wasn't aware they had tried for "hours" to deal with it. That does make me wonder if another option could have been considered. I don't know what but would hope an emergency vet in that time frame. The speed of impact certainly risked killing it and maybe the more humane course of action would be to shoot it...

Given they’d tried for hours, apparently, and in that time no vet appears to have arrived, maybe that option wasn’t viable, for whatever reason. Who knows?

I’m sure, given the coverage this incident has generated, the decisions of those involved will be thoroughly investigated. If they’ve got it wrong then I hope there is appropriate redress.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
“The decision to use the police car is one that was only taken after other methods to stop the cow had failed.

“There will be an investigation into the actions that led to this, but our focus at all times is on ensuring the safety of the public.

"I know there are videos circulating of this incident, which the public may find distressing

I guess if that’s the only way to stop the cow and its doesn’t seem to be too much harm caused

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This country has too many spiders… one/many of them seem to enjoy living around the garden security light .. every night they trigger the lights.. I keep clearing their webs off only for them to reappear again. We should do something about it

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely unforgivable.
I hope that copper suffers for that.

Having read Billy's posts I'd like to change my initial thoughts to these;

I hope this was done as an absolute last resort response.
If that's the case, I have some sympathy with the driver of the police car.

Wow, that's a bit of a U turn!
Just goes to show that we shouldn't instinctively react when emotions may be running high.

I apologise for my initial, over reactive statement.

(y)

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having read Billy's posts I'd like to change my initial thoughts to these;
I hope this was done as an absolute last resort response.
If that's the case, I have some sympathy with the driver of the police car.

Wow, that's a bit of a U turn!
Just goes to show that we should instinctively react when emotions may be running high.

I apologise for my initial, over reactive statement.

(y)

Similar here. The video was so shocking that I was mad as hell. I'd still think there was a more humane option though after hours of trying to capture the poor cow!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
PS. I am terrified of the bloody things. Clumsy and way too curious when walking with dogs. Once in the Lakes we encountered a herd of cows in a field on our route. We always had a walking stick to fend them off. We managed to keep them at bay when suddenly they all scarpered to a different part of the field. Phew. Only to then realise the sneaky gits were blocking the only stile which allowed us to exit. It was scary. They seemed proper mean...we decided to pick the dog up and plonk over the fence and clamber over rather than get near them again.

Billysboots

Visit site
PS. I am terrified of the bloody things. Clumsy and way too curious when walking with dogs. Once in the Lakes we encountered a herd of cows in a field on our route. We always had a walking stick to fend them off. We managed to keep them at bay when suddenly they all scarpered to a different part of the field. Phew. Only to then realise the sneaky gits were blocking the only stile which allowed us to exit. It was scary. They seemed proper mean...we decided to pick the dog up and plonk over the fence and clamber over rather than get near them again.

They can be really aggressive, can’t they? Anyone who thinks all cattle are as friendly as Ermintrude in The Magic Roundabout doesn’t know a great deal about livestock!

The incident in the field near me was really unnerving. I’d walked through the field times before, as the footpath is one of my regular routes when I’m out walking. On this particular day I was about half way across the field, and the herd of about half a dozen all appeared to be taking a rather unhealthy interest in me and started walking in my direction. I just started to feel really uneasy.

I decided to turn back from the footpath, which runs diagonally across the field, and skirt around the edge of the field to reach the stile. I turned my back on the cattle, and was about 20 yards from the edge of the field when I heard hooves behind me. I glanced back and the entire herd was running towards me. I ran and had to vault over a four foot high fence to escape the field. I did it in the nick of time.

I subsequently heard that I was not the only person using the footpath that this had happened to. And yet there was no warning whatsoever on the entrance and exit points to and from the field advising walkers of the need to be cautious. That said, the livestock have since been relocated, so I suspect the farmer has either been asked to move them, or has realised the issue.

So cows are not necessarily the docile creatures we expect them to be. Having had half a tonne of angry cow run at me, with his equally heavy and aggressive chums, I can well believe this incident might not be quite as the more anti-police elements of the press/media are spinning it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
They can be really aggressive, can’t they? Anyone who thinks all cattle are as friendly as Ermintrude in The Magic Roundabout doesn’t know a great deal about livestock!

The incident in the field near me was really unnerving. I’d walked through the field times before, as the footpath is one of my regular routes when I’m out walking. On this particular day I was about half way across the field, and the herd of about half a dozen all appeared to be taking a rather unhealthy interest in me and started walking in my direction. I just started to feel really uneasy.

I decided to turn back from the footpath, which runs diagonally across the field, and skirt around the edge of the field to reach the stile. I turned my back on the cattle, and was about 20 yards from the edge of the field when I heard hooves behind me. I glanced back and the entire herd was running towards me. I ran and had to vault over a four foot high fence to escape the field. I did it in the nick of time.

I subsequently heard that I was not the only person using the footpath that this had happened to. And yet there was no warning whatsoever on the entrance and exit points to and from the field advising walkers of the need to be cautious. That said, the livestock have since been relocated, so I suspect the farmer has either been asked to move them, or has realised the issue.

So cows are not necessarily the docile creatures we expect them to be. Having had half a tonne of angry cow run at me, with his equally heavy and aggressive chums, I can well believe this incident might not be quite as the more anti-police elements of the press/media are spinning it.

I recall a farmer being trampled to death by his herd. The feeling was it wasn't an accident. Even nice mannered cattle are huge and VERY clumsy.

Another time in The Lakes we were on a narrow path through a small wooded area when we encountered some cattle. My husband suddenly shouted "run" and took off up the slope. "It's a bull"...me (a townie) "how do you know"..."because it's got huge balls and a huge..." - I didn't stop to look! Another time we had to cross a field with a bull and his ladies. As we got past him he started to slowly get to his feet. We kept saying to keep calm and just keep walking but suddenly he upped his pace and we ran as fast as we could. We had our two nephews with us. One dived over the fence straight into a cow pat. We laughed afterwards but at the time it was really scary. I don't like encountering horses loose in a field either.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
When you see something on the media, always wonder if it is an accurate portrayal of what has happened. A snip-it video may, or may not, be an accurate view. Always wonder if what you see on the media is accurate.

Agreed 100%. I don't do Twitter or Instagram etc. It was the BBC news coverage that caught my attention and that they weren't showing the video due to the shocking nature of it. I only had half an ear on the news so can't be sure if they said the whole story about hours spent trying to capture it - but I think not. I'm pretty sure it was only about James Cleverly asking for an investigation. So anyway I then looked for the video in full to make my own judgement...

Billysboots

Visit site
4x4 drivers who you meet down narrow country roads who seem to be terrified of putting their wheels on the grass verge when passing.

If the huge potholes at the edge of country lanes elsewhere are as bad as they are near me, I can absolutely understand why the drivers are reluctant to leave what is left of the road surface!

We had one near us not long ago which was so bad that a local piled a load of hardcore in it and placed a couple of planks over it. The carriageway edges on most of our country roads are literally disintegrating.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Some people are just stubborn.

32kg @ 6’2”. Rarely awake, rarely eating and even more rarely keeping it down. Bed bathed twice today - not pleasant. Breath rate intermittent and up to 34. Heart rate down from 70 ave to 58.

Just home for a bite to eat then off out for the night shift - no one should die alone… maybe a miracle will occur.

And still stubborn.

Only 2 spoonfuls of porridge on Saturday morning. Same on Friday morning followed by 2 chicken slivers for lunch, which he brought back. Managed a couple of bites of an iced lolly yesterday.

Called an ambulance yesterday, which only took 15mins. It came with a doc. There was a discussion about taking him into hospital but he’s due there this morning anyway. Decision was to come for him today - thanks guys…

Stats for those that understand them;

Breath rate bouncing between high 40’s & low 50’s. Should be around 12-18.
Heart rate 52
BP 46/40
SPO2 86
Blood sugar 310

I’ve never seen a body so emaciated. Out of curiosity, I’ve just looked at pics of British prisoners held by the Japanese. They look way ‘fatter.’

Bed bathed and dressed for the ambulance at around 10am. Bed stripped, and second wash in. First wash pegged out.

Sorry for venting but it’s been a crap weekend…

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
When you see something on the media, always wonder if it is an accurate portrayal of what has happened. A snip-it video may, or may not, be an accurate view. Always wonder if what you see on the media is accurate.
That's one of my irritations. People see one clip on the internet and then believe that tells the whole story, or use it to prove their point. I always thought this advert for The Guardian is a great illustration of seeing the whole picture.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Phoned up RAC for a breakdown quote to cover the car for a two week French road trip. Two covers offered but was only interested in the top cover. £180 was the quote, but within literally 2 seconds of saying I've shopped around, the quote dropped instantly to £144.

Hmmmm. Profiteering and commission fluffing going on...? :unsure:

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That's one of my irritations. People see one clip on the internet and then believe that tells the whole story, or use it to prove their point. I always thought this advert for The Guardian is a great illustration of seeing the whole picture.
A friend's better half was brought up in Clacton in the 1960's. Remembers quite clearly the newspaper photographers paying the "kids" to stage fights.

Chaos in Clacton – Mods and Rockers Clash in Essex​

Mods and rockers were two opposing British youth subcultures: the mods were known for their love of scooters and parkas, the rockers were known for their love of motorbikes and leather. Originating in the 1950s, and spanning into the 1960s, in 1964 the rivalry exploded into physical conflicts. One such clash between the mods and rockers occurred in Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, in the March of 1964.

Mods and rockers clash at Brighton | Illustrated London News | 24 April 1965
New pages added to the Belfast News-Letter tell us more about the violence that marred the peace of the seaside town. Under the headline ”Wild West’ Clacton Cools Down,’ published on 31 March 1964, the newspaper detailed how arrests were made ‘after a series of incidents in Clacton’ between the mods and rockers. Indeed, George Harnett, the chairman of the Clacton Hotel and Guest House Association, stated how Clacton had been ‘like a wild west town’ a few days previously.

On 29 March 1964, Easter Sunday, the Belfast News-Letter relates how ‘ninety-seven youths were arrested…after a series of disturbances and fights.’ The next day, Easter Monday, another ‘fight developed …when some 20 or 30 youths and girls were refused service at a seafront cafeteria.’ The police, however, arrived ‘quicky and prevented serious trouble,’ whilst ‘many of the young scooter-riders who had caused the trouble’ were observed ‘heading for home soon after mid-day.’