Random Irritations

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Love it.
And if you had asked me yesterday, I could have instantly sung you the whole song word perfect no hesitation.
I identify as English, you see. Born in England and lived in England, but with Scottish and Welsh grandparents.

Why did I think you were an American?
Every day's a school day.

D-S

Visit site
The "England" reference in Jerusalem most likely was intended to reference all of Britain at that time of writing. This was common.
Odd though that England Teams choose them as their anthem though in many sports or representative teams such as in the Commonweatlth Games
“in a few others another patriotic song might be used (such as “Jerusalem”) or “Land of Hope and Glory”, which is used by many sporting teams representing England or local teams within England. Because it is often associated with English sporting teams, “Land of Hope and Glory” often is a popular choice for consideration of an English anthem.”

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Odd though that England Teams choose them as their anthem though in many sports or representative teams such as in the Commonweatlth Games
“in a few others another patriotic song might be used (such as “Jerusalem”) or “Land of Hope and Glory”, which is used by many sporting teams representing England or local teams within England. Because it is often associated with English sporting teams, “Land of Hope and Glory” often is a popular choice for consideration of an English anthem.”
The idea of singing an anthem before a sporting event was invented by the Welsh as a response to the New Zealand Rugby team's Haka in 1905 in Cardiff.
A song had become very popular around that time, "Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" (Land Of My Fathers)
Gradually, over the years ahead this song replaced what was the recognised Welsh National Anthem "God Bless The Prince Of Wales". This has never been made official, because there never was an established way to do this.
Other countries copied this Welsh idea.
The 1924 Olympics was the first one that had anthems played at the medal giving ceremonies.
The first FA Cup final to have "Abide With Me" sung at the start was 1927. Guess who lifted the Cup?

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
The idea of singing an anthem before a sporting event was invented by the Welsh as a response to the New Zealand Rugby team's Haka in 1905 in Cardiff.
A song had become very popular around that time, "Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" (Land Of My Fathers)
Gradually, over the years ahead this song replaced what was the recognised Welsh National Anthem "God Bless The Prince Of Wales". This has never been made official, because there never was an established way to do this.
Other countries copied this Welsh idea.
The 1924 Olympics was the first one that had anthems played at the medal giving ceremonies.
The first FA Cup final to have "Abide With Me" sung at the start was 1927. Guess who lifted the Cup?
The Borg?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's good news. I've had the later and it's blooming painful, hopefully you won't be off your feet too long.

Unfortunately I'm a self employed gardener and, if I don't work, I don't get paid.
The irony is that I've done precious little over the last few months as it's been raining so much.
Now, just when the weather turns a corner and grass is growing at a pace, I do this!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Love it.
And if you had asked me yesterday, I could have instantly sung you the whole song word perfect no hesitation.
I identify as English, you see. Born in England and lived in England, but with Scottish and Welsh grandparents.
my lad, who was born in England with a Scottish mother and father, identifies as being English. Now that really does irritate me.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
When the post was initially put up I thought about whether it should be removed. Then I realised that people need to see what a moron he is in all his full glory.

I think your analogy with Fox is spot on. Equally odious people.

Only have to read the replies to see a lot of people are moronic scumbags just like he is.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm a self employed gardener and, if I don't work, I don't get paid.
The irony is that I've done precious little over the last few months as it's been raining so much.
Now, just when the weather turns a corner and grass is growing at a pace, I do this!

Have they given you a time frame until your back in action?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have they given you a time frame until your back in action?

Not really.
The doctor said give it a week of rest, see how it is and then maybe book me in for an MRI scan.
As I can still drive, the doctor thinks it's only minor damage.
At least she confirmed that it wasn't a DVT!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not really.
The doctor said give it a week of rest, see how it is and then maybe book me in for an MRI scan.
As I can still drive, the doctor thinks it's only minor damage.
At least she confirmed that it wasn't a DVT!
I had accupuncture with some electro therapy on my ruptured achilles. Had it back to normal after 2 visits.:)