Random Irritations

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Arrived at work today, the Internet is down. Rang the provider, got through quickly, but they couldn't fix it straight away. It's been 'sent upstairs '

I can't ship anything until we come back online. Our phone is now VOIP so that isn't working either. Not a good start.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Correcting the facts of your statement.

Just like Boris buses, Boris bikes were all signed off under ken Livingston ulez was signed off under Boris.

That said I agree the fireworks are a waste of money (although they are sponsored) and environmentally aren't good.
Are the fireworks not a bit like the Royal Family? You may not agree with them, but you can't deny they bring extra visitors and revenue to London.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are the fireworks not a bit like the Royal Family? You may not agree with them, but you can't deny they bring extra visitors and revenue to London.
Would they not be there anyway at NYE? Maybe don't do it next year and see if revenue across the centre drops?

City centres at New Year's are rammed, fireworks or not.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Arrived at work today, the Internet is down. Rang the provider, got through quickly, but they couldn't fix it straight away. It's been 'sent upstairs '

I can't ship anything until we come back online. Our phone is now VOIP so that isn't working either. Not a good start.
Get a cuppa and catch up with everyone.

D

Deleted member 1147

The fireworks and drone display was awesome - music not that great though

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Weather apps. I’m looking at mine and it is telling me that the dark clouds and steady rain I have seen out of my lounge window since the moment I got up are in fact broken clouds, sunny spells with 0% chance of precipitation.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Health & Safety has ruined firework displays.

1. I used to live in Milton Keynes, and in the "Good Old Days" the crowd watched from Midsummer Boulevard, right under where the fireworks were going off. The experience as huge mortars burst directly overhead was fantastic. You could feel it in your chest. Over the years they moved the crowd further away until it wasn't worth bothering.

2. I went to school in Lewes in the 70's and we went to the Cliff Bonfire Society bash every year. You wouldn't believe the kind of stuff that went on back then. (Guys in fireproof suits provided as targets, for example. I guess stopping that probably was a good idea).

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Health & Safety has ruined firework displays.

1. I used to live in Milton Keynes, and in the "Good Old Days" the crowd watched from Midsummer Boulevard, right under where the fireworks were going off. The experience as huge mortars burst directly overhead was fantastic. You could feel it in your chest. Over the years they moved the crowd further away until it wasn't worth bothering.

2. I went to school in Lewes in the 70's and we went to the Cliff Bonfire Society bash every year. You wouldn't believe the kind of stuff that went on back then. (Guys in fireproof suits provided as targets, for example. I guess stopping that probably was a good idea).
Have you ever seen the injuries caused to someone who has been hit by a commercial firework? Or any firework!

I’m sure you would love it to get a better experience 🙄

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A spent firework took out the rear window of my car about 15 years ago.....on a rainy night so the car had a couple of inches of water in it....

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I also think fireworks are a load of rubbish. Kids like them on bonfire night I guess. As an adult I fail to see the point of them.

I like fireworks in professional displays

I'm not a fan when people let them off themselves

But mainly because there is no organisation.. or pattern

We have fireworks round our way most weekends .. it's blooming annoying

Nye was steady 10pm-1am but really loads at midnight. That you can understand

But a random night in September?

Would they not be there anyway at NYE? Maybe don't do it next year and see if revenue across the centre drops?

City centres at New Year's are rammed, fireworks or not.

I don't think anyone just goes to London for the fireworks, it's just something they go to see at midnight when their up there

Nearest I get to London on Nye is nights 🤣

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Phone IVR that asks you to 'say things' rather than use the keypad.

The Direct Line phone IVR asks you to say things rather than use a keypad. It is alright if your name is John or have a neutral accent.. Bloody difficult to pick off beat names, post codes... end up shouting my birthday, post code etc only to be told that they cant find the policy!!.. Now another 40 mins wait to speak to 'one of our consultants'

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Phone IVR that asks you to 'say things' rather than use the keypad.

The Direct Line phone IVR asks you to say things rather than use a keypad. It is alright if your name is John or have a neutral accent.. Bloody difficult to pick off beat names, post codes... end up shouting my birthday, post code etc only to be told that they cant find the policy!!.. Now another 40 mins wait to speak to 'one of our consultants'

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think anyone just goes to London for the fireworks, it's just something they go to see at midnight when their up there
Hmm. I think people do go for the fireworks. Given that tickets cost £20 and they sell out about a month in advance of NYE, it's not something you do just because you're there. You have to have planned to be there.