Random Irritations

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
That DPD tracker of the van's location is a blessing and a curse. Sometimes it's nice to see they're nearby, but other times it's as you say - they go from being two roads down to suddenly being three miles away and you wonder who the hell plans their routes.

The worst one is when they are 2 stops away, a mile from your house, but they are running late and end their shift and so you watch then drive off on the app.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Rupert finding a badger carcass yesterday In the woods and doing the drop and roll in it. In the scheme of things this is the worste smelling thing I've ever come across, I was almost sick , in fact it came up into my mouth. It was badly decomposed, but Jesus,I'd image a skunk would be sweeter smelling than this. He was pleased with himself though. A good dip in the canal and several shampoos off didn't really get rid of it. Even his collar had to go in the bin after it was washed🤮

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Rupert finding a badger carcass yesterday In the woods and doing the drop and roll in it. In the scheme of things this is the worste smelling thing I've ever come across, I was almost sick , in fact it came up into my mouth. It was badly decomposed, but Jesus,I'd image a skunk would be sweeter smelling than this. He was pleased with himself though. A good dip in the canal and several shampoos off didn't really get rid of it. Even his collar had to go in the bin after it was washed🤮

Remember the same with Bessdog. She was horrendous when she rolled in fox poo but badger/fox carcass was half a doz step changes too far. The smell singed the hairs from my nose!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't believe it seems to be legal in the UK to refuse to accept cash 🤷‍♂️
Slight hangover from Covid, shops wanted to avoid handling money. They then discovered that it was more convenient, safer, less hassle, more accurate than cash. I understand your point, your irritation is your irritation, but there is some context to it.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are also fewer Banks around at which to deposit said Cash.......

And the banks that are still there prefer card payments as they can take a percentage of each transaction. A £50 note being used as payment continues to be worth £50 no matter how many times it is used. A £50 card transaction attracting a 2% transaction fee each time soon means that the £50 is only "worth" £25 and the bank has taken half the value in fees.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Slight hangover from Covid, shops wanted to avoid handling money. They then discovered that it was more convenient, safer, less hassle, more accurate than cash. I understand your point, your irritation is your irritation, but there is some context to it.

Yeah I get the rational behind wishing to increase cashless and decrease physical cash, but I figure there's better ways to do it than simply refusing to accept what is the national currency & epitome of legal tender

i'e why not incentivise the use of cashless with say a 3% discount (or make cash purchases 3% more expensive) other percentages are available

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I get the rational behind wishing to increase cashless and decrease physical cash, but I figure there's better ways to do it than simply refusing to accept what is the national currency & epitome of legal tender

i'e why not incentivise the use of cashless with say a 3% discount (or make cash purchases 3% more expensive) other percentages are available

They had this before to encourage the use of cash

To avoid the card fees

Years ago (think it was under may) they said no company can charge you more for using your credit card

So no more 50p extra to use your card online and such (everyone had that one card that didn't charge and only used to pay for flights for example)

If they start making cash more expensive it will be the same it will affect the poorest who can't get bank accounts etc etc so they have to do what they do

Refusing cash don't seem right tho. But apparently the owner has the right

The right to be a pain in the butt lol

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

This could go like flag in or flag out :oops: . We avoid places that are cash only now as we don't carry cash. For us, that's a pain (yes local Chinese takeaways I mean you largely).

Ideally, places would offer both but for anyone who is solely about cash the mood music is going the other way.

Incidentally, @Slab , how we are in Britain is nothing compared to Sweden. They really are going cashless at a pace.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This could go like flag in or flag out :oops: . We avoid places that are cash only now as we don't carry cash. For us, that's a pain (yes local Chinese takeaways I mean you largely).

Ideally, places would offer both but for anyone who is solely about cash the mood music is going the other way.

Incidentally, @Slab , how we are in Britain is nothing compared to Sweden. They really are going cashless at a pace.

Anyone who operates cash only just screams money laundering or tax evasion

Quick add to this, considering how easy it is to get a card reader now days, a pro near me uses his phone as one you just tap your card on it

I mean it's made more and more simple

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This discussion is tying in with the fact I'm getting my hair cut this afternoon and I'll have to get cash out to pay for it. Very irritating! But they charge 11 quid less than the one near me that I can use card at, so needs must. :LOL:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
They had this before to encourage the use of cash

To avoid the card fees

Years ago (think it was under may) they said no company can charge you more for using your credit card

So no more 50p extra to use your card online and such (everyone had that one card that didn't charge and only used to pay for flights for example)

If they start making cash more expensive it will be the same it will affect the poorest who can't get bank accounts etc etc so they have to do what they do

The bit in bold would be the 'scary' part. Imagine if there's people who can't get bank accounts & are persecuted by not being able to shop in xyz store

Also saw pay & display car parks with 'out of order' notices on every machine (in reality they were pulled 'out of service' to force use of an app, great experience for the tourist from overseas with no app!)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
This discussion is tying in with the fact I'm getting my hair cut this afternoon and I'll have to get cash out to pay for it. Very irritating! But they charge 11 quid less than the one near me that I can use card at, so needs must. :LOL:

You know what's more annoying... The useless £4 in change you're soon to receive!! :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also saw pay & display car parks with 'out of order' notices on every machine (in reality they were pulled 'out of service' to force use of an app, great experience for the tourist from overseas with no app!)
There was a piece on the radio recently about this issue. Pay by cash car parks will disappear in the next few years, as will contactless. People will have no option but to use an app. The reasoning behind it is cash is a pain for the car park people, they need staff to empty them, they get broken in to, they jam. They are going. Contactless is great but many work via the 4g phone network (that or 3 but I think 4g) and as that gets switched off to be replaced by 5g the machines will not be upgraded. That leaves the apps, way cheaper to run for the companies.

I'm not saying I like or agree with the above but that is what will happen. Some places may keep alternatives but many will not. If it makes you feel better, it is awkward for us in this country as well. There is no universal app so as you go to different places you need to add a different app each time. If only someone could produce an app to work with them all...........

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was a piece on the radio recently about this issue. Pay by cash car parks will disappear in the next few years, as will contactless. People will have no option but to use an app. The reasoning behind it is cash is a pain for the car park people, they need staff to empty them, they get broken in to, they jam. They are going. Contactless is great but many work via the 4g phone network (that or 3 but I think 4g) and as that gets switched off to be replaced by 5g the machines will not be upgraded. That leaves the apps, way cheaper to run for the companies.

I'm not saying I like or agree with the above but that is what will happen. Some places may keep alternatives but many will not. If it makes you feel better, it is awkward for us in this country as well. There is no universal app so as you go to different places you need to add a different app each time. If only someone could produce an app to work with them all...........
Have you noticed that it also more expensive when you use the pay by App method!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Although the 15 minutes in the biting wind in st andrews car park trying to get the app to work or the phone number answered turned out to be time well spent to see the poor guy on 1st tee at The Old Course scream FOOOOORE ! just half a millisecond after teeing off :giggle:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you noticed that it also more expensive when you use the pay by App method!
I haven't found that to be the case so far. I'll keep an eye out, although not a huge amount you can do about it I suppose. I do like the convenience though, especially being able to add time if necessary. I was in York on Sunday and put an extra hour on rather than rush back to buy a new ticket.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Not always, a lot of it can be because the options it auto selects (IE SMS message to let you know when your almost up) costs money

Select that off and the app lets you know for free anyways