Random Irritations

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This discussion is tying in with the fact I'm getting my hair cut this afternoon and I'll have to get cash out to pay for it. Very irritating! But they charge 11 quid less than the one near me that I can use card at, so needs must. :LOL:

I run the work tuck shop. Very often it doesn't have enough in the bank to cover the costs of the next shop so have to use the cash

I just pay on my card and then saves me trip to bank 🏦

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Also saw pay & display car parks with 'out of order' notices on every machine (in reality they were pulled 'out of service' to force use of an app, great experience for the tourist from overseas with no app!)
If I was in a car park that had pay & display machines and they were all out of order, I would take that as approval to park for free. I would pay if I could, but since the operators can't be bothered to provide the means to do so, that's their problem.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If I was in a car park that had pay & display machines and they were all out of order, I would take that as approval to park for free. I would pay if I could, but since the operators can't be bothered to provide the means to do so, that's their problem.

all in the name of progress I guess

I also had the pleasure of a McD youth looking strangely at me, and the pound coins I gave him, since he hadn't seen one before and then called his supervisor... who kindly informed me that particular version of the £1 coin were now out of circulation 😒

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not always, a lot of it can be because the options it auto selects (IE SMS message to let you know when your almost up) costs money

Select that off and the app lets you know for free anyways
As an example. I am currently making regular hospital visits as mum had a fall recently. The car park charge is paid as you are about to return to your vehicle, there are 3 options; cash at the machine, contactless at the machine or via an App, paying via the App is more expensive (around 10% IIRC) with no benefit to the user other than possibly not having to queue to use the 2 payment machines.

NearHull

Visit site
I haven't found that to be the case so far. I'll keep an eye out, although not a huge amount you can do about it I suppose. I do like the convenience though, especially being able to add time if necessary. I was in York on Sunday and put an extra hour on rather than rush back to buy a new ticket.
York on a Sunday? I’m not aware of any golf courses in the Shambles!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
York on a Sunday? I’m not aware of any golf courses in the Shambles!
I'm in York now with the wife. No golf but walked the equivalent of two rounds of golf, over 10000 steps in and around the centre. Walked the walls which at one point overlooked a lovely grassed area with tables and chairs with people enjoying drinks etc.
We tried to find this place but to no avail, frustrating, we just couldn't find it.
We were going to visit York Minster Cathedral, but it was closed as they were filming an episode of The Crown - loads of extres dressed in their finery.
So we found another area with tables and chairs and enjoyed a lovely glass of Argentinian Malbec, wife had a Rose`.
Looking forward to playing Gleneagles on Tuesday! 😁 👍

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Packing up the Qashqai for our trip to Scotland, trying to fit all the baby stuff, suitcases and golf clubs into the boot - it's not as big as we thought. Then we realise there's a little shelf type thing in the bottom of the boot that you can remove and it frees up an extra 3 or 4 inches below it. What the hell is that for other than wasting boot space??

Edit: found pictures online what I'm on about. Those two bits of board lift out revealing more depth. What is the point? Just have the full depth in the first place?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230419_224311_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230419_224311_Chrome.jpg
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Packing up the Qashqai for our trip to Scotland, trying to fit all the baby stuff, suitcases and golf clubs into the boot - it's not as big as we thought. Then we realise there's a little shelf type thing in the bottom of the boot that you can remove and it frees up an extra 3 or 4 inches below it. What the hell is that for other than wasting boot space??

Edit: found pictures online what I'm on about. Those two bits of board lift out revealing more depth. What is the point? Just have the full depth in the first place?

Drugs, it's for drugs. :whistle:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Being unable to login to Windows (or somehow get around login) on the laptop my last employer hasn’t bothered to pick up.

Its a decent little Lenovo and I took everything off when I finished, and my access to the company network was cancelled. But for a while I was able to login to Windows and get on. Then all of a sudden I couldn’t. And I still can‘t. It’s now over two years since I finished so no chance of them coming looking for it. But what to do with it.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Being unable to login to Windows (or somehow get around login) on the laptop my last employer hasn’t bothered to pick up.

Its a decent little Lenovo and I took everything off when I finished, and my access to the company network was cancelled. But for a while I was able to login to Windows and get on. Then all of a sudden I couldn’t. And I still can‘t. It’s now over two years since I finished so no chance of them coming looking for it. But what to do with it.
Swap out the hard drive and install a clean OS

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site

Edit: found pictures online what I'm on about. Those two bits of board lift out revealing more depth. What is the point? Just have the full depth in the first place?I was interested in why that would be, so did a quick google..

"It had plenty of boot space when it was launched but the last Nissan Qashqai was soon overtaken by more practical rivals. We’re told that a changed rear suspension design has resulted in a lower boot floor and a bigger boot than before. It’ll be noticeably bigger if you currently drive a Qashqai, as both the Visia and Acenta Premium models offer 74 litres more space with a total of 504 litres. In the N-Connecta, Tekna and Premiere Edition trims boot capacity is reduced slightly to 479 litres due to standard fit luggage boards, which allow you to separate the boot into sections: a useful feature if you intend on carrying fragile items. Whichever version you choose, the Qashqai’s increased storage capacity puts it a whisker behind the boot storage capability in the Skoda Karoq and is similar to cars like the Ford Kuga and BMW X1.

The boot floor is reversible and can be raised or lowered, depending on what you need. Raising the boot floor allows you to have a completely flat floor when the rear seats are folded. Doing so frees up 1,447 litres of boot space in lower spec models, falling to 1,422 litres in models fitted with the luggage boards boot floor system. Both of these figures are measured up to the roof of the car."

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/nissan/qashqai/practicality

"The boot has 504 litres’ worth of space. It comes with the highly-configurable Flexible Luggage Board System, which offers a variety of depths as well as an in-built divider. It’s good for fitting in tall objects, while the parcel shelf can fit underneath the boot floor."

https://www.parkers.co.uk/nissan/qashqai/review/practicality/

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

It's so you have a flat loading area where you can slide out large objects rather than having to lift them over the lip. My car has the same and I always sacrifice the extra room so I can get tools etc out easier.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Same as in our Golf, and previously we also had a QasqaI. We’d sometimes keep the divider in place if we wanted to keep specific bits and pieces together and out of the way of the luggage or if we were carting stuff about and had stuff we wanted to keep in the boot but not get muddled or messed.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm in York now with the wife. No golf but walked the equivalent of two rounds of golf, over 10000 steps in and around the centre. Walked the walls which at one point overlooked a lovely grassed area with tables and chairs with people enjoying drinks etc.
We tried to find this place but to no avail, frustrating, we just couldn't find it.
We were going to visit York Minster Cathedral, but it was closed as they were filming an episode of The Crown - loads of extres dressed in their finery.
So we found another area with tables and chairs and enjoyed a lovely glass of Argentinian Malbec, wife had a Rose`.
Looking forward to playing Gleneagles on Tuesday! 😁 👍
That was probably Grays Court Hotel. Lovely boutique hotel, stayed there last Easter for a couple of nights. It used to be part of the University and my wife had lectures there, some in the actual room we stayed in 😀