Random Irritations

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Drink drivers in the local pub, seems to be rife where we live.

Should see out our way and in most places I live. Rural communties are rife with it. Taxis are hard to get and expensive, public transport non existant, police are pretty much invisible and it is several miles between villages and so it has become endemic. Sadly it is the over 50s that are the worst offenders by far. The younger age groups in the villages around me are by far the more responsible ones.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'll add mobile phone using drivists.

If you are behind the wheel, you are driving! Phone should be in a pocket, glove box, on a holder etc. not on your lap or between your legs OR IN YOUR HAND!!

If you are stuck in traffic, you cannot use your phone!

If you are at a red light, you cannot use your phone!

6 points for the last 2! stuck in traffic and check a text? 6 points!! GOOD!! Lots of research showing the time taken for the phone distraction to have left, also you are not keeping your eyes on whats going on around you, pedestrians crossing between traffic, cyclists/moto filtering etc etc etc...

Attachments

• IMG_20160107_140944324.jpg
    IMG_20160107_140944324.jpg
    635.5 KB · Views: 8

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Should see out our way and in most places I live. Rural communties are rife with it. Taxis are hard to get and expensive, public transport non existant, police are pretty much invisible and it is several miles between villages and so it has become endemic. Sadly it is the over 50s that are the worst offenders by far. The younger age groups in the villages around me are by far the more responsible ones.

A mate of mine has drinking issues, it’s not nice to see as it’s really effecting him. He got sacked from the Police force recently as he was convicted of drink driving. Saturday night he gets in a van for a lift home with a guy who he knows is completely bladdered, fella reverses the van and knocks down a wall. All caught on the pub cctv 🤦‍♂️

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
A mate of mine has drinking issues, it’s not nice to see as it’s really effecting him. He got sacked from the Police force recently as he was convicted of drink driving. Saturday night he gets in a van for a lift home with a guy who he knows is completely bladdered, fella reverses the van and knocks down a wall. All caught on the pub cctv 🤦‍♂️

That is pretty awful.

I think sympathy is the wrong word but I do wonder how some of the rural communities cope. It is hard to keep a village pub going (ours is still there, thank God) and so for those in a village that has lost its pub, it is difficult. They next village may be 10 miles away. Trouble is the taxi services are all in the nearest town and so charge a high fee. To get from the next village home where I am can be £30 in a taxi.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Sounds like most golf clubs on a weekend.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds like almost every golf club at the weekend. Never ceased to be amazed how I can see a full club house with people drinking at 2.00 and I can drive past later and see a once full car park totally empty.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If the police set up outside golf clubs on a Saturday afternoon to do checks, as per Christmas time, it would be like shooting fish in a barrel. Sadly.
Yep. And the worst offenders are probably the people who complain the loudest about insignificant stuff like what other people are wearing.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That is pretty awful.

I think sympathy is the wrong word but I do wonder how some of the rural communities cope. It is hard to keep a village pub going (ours is still there, thank God) and so for those in a village that has lost its pub, it is difficult. They next village may be 10 miles away. Trouble is the taxi services are all in the nearest town and so charge a high fee. To get from the next village home where I am can be £30 in a taxi.
I spend a fair amount of time in Filey which is a reasonable size town (population around 7,000 not including a sizeable number of tourists in the summer). There is one taxi firm which only has a couple of cars. Unless you pre book well in advance, you have no chance of getting a taxi home. The amount of drink driving which goes on there is quite shocking.

My mate and I were in a curry house a few months ago and got talking to the respectable elderly couple (late 60s / early 70s) sat at the next table. He was downing the pints, she was on the wine. They said they were from Driffield which is about 20 miles away. I asked if they were staying over, they said no, they had driven over for the night, they do it regularly because they love this particular curry house. I then asked if they were worried about being caught drink driving. He says no, once we are out of Filey, we take the back roads and never see a soul.

I was gobsmacked.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I spend a fair amount of time in Filey which is a reasonable size town (population around 7,000 not including a sizeable number of tourists in the summer). There is one taxi firm which only has a couple of cars. Unless you pre book well in advance, you have no chance of getting a taxi home. The amount of drink driving which goes on there is quite shocking.

My mate and I were in a curry house a few months ago and got talking to the respectable elderly couple (late 60s / early 70s) sat at the next table. He was downing the pints, she was on the wine. They said they were from Driffield which is about 20 miles away. I asked if they were staying over, they said no, they had driven over for the night, they do it regularly because they love this particular curry house. I then asked if they were worried about being caught drink driving. He says no, once we are out of Filey, we take the back roads and never see a soul.

I was gobsmacked.

That pretty much sums up rural community life. Taxis are hard to get and very expensive, public transport does not exist and so people learn the back roads too and from villages.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Slight wardrobe malfunction today - I'm wearing a shirt with a zip-neck jumper over it, but the collar on the shirt is sitting quite flat and below the line of the jumper, so it basically just looks like I'm not wearing a shirt at all. :unsure:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Blood in the shower… oh eck!

No not the ears, no not the nose… is it one of the nether (unmentionable) regions? No…

Well, I eventually found the source…OMG! We’ll watch carefully over the next hour. How on earth? What caused that? Oh eck!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Blood in the shower… oh eck!

No not the ears, no not the nose… is it one of the nether (unmentionable) regions? No…

Well, I eventually found the source…OMG! We’ll watch carefully over the next hour. How on earth? What caused that? Oh eck!

Where from then?! Intrigued...

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
@PhilTheFragger why is there 4 x football threads?

Well there is the main footie thread, the Scottish one and the predictions one, all seem to be separate entities and it would get really confusing if any of these threads were merged.

Then there is the transfer thread which will run out of steam at some point soon and will get closed.

I certainly wouldn’t want to see any more footy ones.
When the World Cup / euros come around they can be discussed on the main footy thread, as there won’t be any domestic stuff happening

Is that ok for Sir?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well there is the main footie thread, the Scottish one and the predictions one, all seem to be separate entities and it would get really confusing if any of these threads were merged.

Then there is the transfer thread which will run out of steam at some point soon and will get closed.

I certainly wouldn’t want to see any more footy ones.
When the World Cup / euros come around they can be discussed on the main footy thread, as there won’t be any domestic stuff happening

Is that ok for Sir?

Excluding the predictions thread there is the football thread and the Scottish football thread (bless their Exceptionalism 😆) then there was two “would you blow the transfer budget threads” which you have now merged (well done btw👍) why don’t you just chuck them all in together?

Just pointing out it’s randomly irritating, especially for folk that do not like football.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Excluding the predictions thread there is the football thread and the Scottish football thread (bless their Exceptionalism 😆) then there was two “would you blow the transfer budget threads” which you have now merged (well done btw👍) why don’t you just chuck them all in together?

Just pointing out it’s randomly irritating, especially for folk that do not like football.
I think that was a glitch in the Matrix........Where's Keanu when you need him?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I'll add mobile phone using drivists.
For sure, using a mobile phone while driving is an issue, but my irritation in this respect concerns the design of modern cars.
Many of them have transferred various controls (such as adjusting the heater settings, changing the volume on the radio, etc) to a touchscreen via multi-level menus.
Does anyone know what the law is regarding using these touchscreen controls? I'm guessing that since it is part of the car's control system, you're allowed to use it.
And yet you mustn't even think of touching your phone.
Frankly I can't see any significant difference between the two.