Random Irritations

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Answer is easy…rather than reduce the number of parking spaces for others just get a smaller car.

My 08 3door VW Polo is just fine for getting to and from my club and I have no problems fitting it into a parking space with loads of room all around for unloading ?

That's a selfish attitude. Because a smaller car suits your lifestyle, then others
should have one too. ? Or do you have "smaller " car just for going to the golf club?

Or are you being sarcastic?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That's a selfish attitude. Because a smaller car suits your lifestyle, then others
should have one too. ? Or do you have "smaller " car just for going to the golf club?

Or are you being sarcastic?
I was being a bit tongue in cheek as I realise how much some folks view their car as an extension or reflection of their status and character, and something to be talked about. Apparently some have juggernauts as being essential for their work and home circumstances…apparently.?

That said if anything is ‘selfish’ it’s surely drivers of large cars wishing more capacious parking spaces for their juggernauts, and therefore, in a fixed area, fewer spaces for others.

And yes, I do also have a (bit) larger and much newer car, but I use my little old rather battered Polo to go to the golf club as I drive to the club to play golf - though maybe my battered old polo is in fact also a reflection of my character. ?

Last edited:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I was being a bit tongue in cheek as I realise how much some folks view their car as an extension or reflection of their status and character, and something to be talked about. Apparently some have juggernauts as being essential for their work and home circumstances…apparently.?

That said if anything is ‘selfish’ it’s surely drivers of large cars wishing more capacious parking spaces for their juggernauts, and therefore, in a fixed area, fewer spaces for others.

And yes, I do also have a (bit) larger and much newer car, but I use my little old rather battered Polo to go to the golf club as I drive to the club to play golf - though maybe my battered old polo is in fact also a reflection of my character. ?

What a precious attitude. So, most with large cars are bragging are they?
And those with cars where space is required because of lifestyle requirements or difficulties you don't have ( and seemingly are unable to imagine as might be the case) should not expect to be able to park them safely at the golf club ( and other places) because there should be more and smaller spaces available?
A most charitable attitude?

Leftitshort

Visit site
What a precious attitude. So, most with large cars are bragging are they?
And those with cars where space is required because of lifestyle requirements or difficulties you don't have ( and seemingly are unable to imagine as might be the case) should not expect to be able to park them safely at the golf club ( and other places) because there should be more and smaller spaces available?
A most charitable attitude?
SILH is very pious. So very pious. Charitable not so much tho

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My last remaining grandparent passing away in her sleep today ?
That is more than a random irritation, it is very sad indeed and my heart goes out to you.
This resonates with me in a big way, because I was only 13 when my last grandparent was gone.
That experience has stayed with me all my life and has been a constant reminder of just how tough life was for working people who lived through two world wars.
Thanks to their efforts - I am here.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I’m not sure why me expecting to be able to park my modern car in a decent sized parking space is selfish.

If you do a little research you’ll quickly find that the average parking space has not changed in size for many years. Should that preclude me from buying the car I want?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’m not sure why me expecting to be able to park my modern car in a decent sized parking space is selfish.

If you do a little research you’ll quickly find that the average parking space has not changed in size for many years. Should that preclude me from buying the car I want?
Just saying that bigger spaces for convenience - and that’s what’s being talked about - would mean fewer spaces. If that’s what the majority of members want then they can get them. Meanwhile if you have access to a smaller car then maybe think about using it. It’s not rocket science.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just saying that bigger spaces for convenience - and that’s what’s being talked about - would mean fewer spaces. If that’s what the majority of members want then they can get them. Meanwhile if you have access to a smaller car then maybe think about using it. It’s not rocket science.

My club built bigger spaces but we only 5 years old

Half the car park is gravel tho so those spaces are easy .. park as wide as you want

The actual spaces are brick and marked with diff colour bricks .. they are huge ..

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

So you are looking at the greater good ?

More parking spaces, but too small for a lot of members to park properly in, so its be good if you had a smaller car on standby just so you can park and get in and out of your car and manouevre your golf equipment when arriving and leaving! Seems a tad overboard rather than big enough spaces to park properly in. Mmmmm

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So you are looking at the greater good ?

More parking spaces, but too small for a lot of members to park properly in, so its be good if you had a smaller car on standby just so you can park and get in and out of your car and manouevre your golf equipment when arriving and leaving! Seems a tad overboard rather than big enough spaces to park properly in. Mmmmm
If members want larger but fewer spaces then they go for it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
First it was Extinction Rebellion; then it was Insulate Britain, and now it is fuel cost protesters. All doing the same thing - creating serious disruption on the roads for their ‘cause’. But will we hear much condemnation of the latter from the usual suspects and quarters…I doubt it.

Of course if I support XR and IB then I would logically be supportive of increases in fuel prices and so opposed to the fuel cost protests.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

It’s not convenience, Hugh. If a car won’t fit into a space and then actually allow you to open the doors to get out, then it’s a problem. To coin your own phrase, that’s not rocket science.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First it was Extinction Rebellion; then it was Insulate Britain, and now it is fuel cost protesters. All doing the same thing - creating serious disruption on the roads for their ‘cause’. But will we hear much condemnation of the latter from the usual suspects and quarters…I doubt it.

Of course if I support XR and IB then I would logically be supportive of increases in fuel prices and so opposed to the fuel cost protests.
Perhaps if they all drove smaller vehicles they wouldn’t be complaining?
Just using your logic

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
And if the parking spaces are too small, this happens .....

View attachment 43307
Played at Hockley the other day and a new Bentley parked like that, though at the end of the line. Obviously didn't want anyone parking to near it.It was across into the driveway. Very tempting to go into the clubhouse and ask whose it was as I had scraped by white van driving round it.:D