Random Irritations

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Infuriating, and expensive.

It’s happened more than once to me, including at the golf club. On one occasion some cretin walked between my car and the one next to it with his carry bag slung over his shoulder, and whacked my passenger door leaving a dent. It was captured in glorious technicolour on CCTV and even then he tried to deny it. I gave him two options - pay up or I’d report a clear case of criminal (reckless) damage to the police. He paid for the repair.

People often ask why I now park in an end bay and partially straddle the line. Because of thoughtless idiots like the one above, that’s why.

Totally disgraceful but it also irritates me that clubs have standard sized parking bays then people clearly need extra room to get clubs out, move around with trolleys etc. Design your car park for the use not the amount of spaces you can cram in.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Totally disgraceful but it also irritates me that clubs have standard sized parking bays then people clearly need extra room to get clubs out, move around with trolleys etc. Design your car park for the use not the amount of spaces you can cram in.

Whilst I agree in the main, I was actually parked in an end bay on this occasion too and he could easily have walked round without risking damaging anything.

Car parking spaces in general are too small for modern cars, which are much bigger than they were 20-30 years ago. Cars have grown, standard parking spaces haven’t. The worst I have ever come across was a small multi storey near Brixham harbour in Devon last year. The spaces were so small that, had I parked in one, I simply would not have been able to open my door to get out, my car being the size it is. It was ludicrous - I watched a number of other drivers trying to manoeuvre into spaces before shaking their heads and driving out again.

I eventually found an end space, parked with my drivers side about an inch from the wall and clambered out via the passenger door. Sure as eggs were eggs when I came back a couple of hours later whoever had parked alongside my had opened their door on mine leaving yet another dent.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst I agree in the main, I was actually parked in an end bay on this occasion too and he could easily have walked round without risking damaging anything.

Car parking spaces in general are too small for modern cars, which are much bigger than they were 20-30 years ago. Cars have grown, standard parking spaces haven’t. The worst I have ever come across was a small multi storey near Brixham harbour in Devon last year. The spaces were so small that, had I parked in one, I simply would not have been able to open my door to get out, my car being the size it is. It was ludicrous - I watched a number of other drivers trying to manoeuvre into spaces before shaking their heads and driving out again.

I eventually found an end space, parked with my drivers side about an inch from the wall and clambered out via the passenger door. Sure as eggs were eggs when I came back a couple of hours later whoever had parked alongside my had opened their door on mine leaving yet another dent.

I actually got rid of my 2 door car as had to look for end spaces or 2 spaces together

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Answer is easy…rather than reduce the number of parking spaces for others just get a smaller car.

My 08 3door VW Polo is just fine for getting to and from my club and I have no problems fitting it into a parking space with loads of room all around for unloading ?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Answer is easy…rather than reduce the number of parking spaces for others just get a smaller car.

My 08 3door VW Polo is just fine for getting to and from my club and I have no problems fitting it into a parking space with loads of room all around for unloading ?

Previous car was a Clio and still had issues. Not that it could not be done just that it is awkward especially with clubs on the back seat.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Infuriating, and expensive.

It’s happened more than once to me, including at the golf club. On one occasion some cretin walked between my car and the one next to it with his carry bag slung over his shoulder, and whacked my passenger door leaving a dent. It was captured in glorious technicolour on CCTV and even then he tried to deny it. I gave him two options - pay up or I’d report a clear case of criminal (reckless) damage to the police. He paid for the repair.

People often ask why I now park in an end bay and partially straddle the line. Because of thoughtless idiots like the one above, that’s why.
The soft play centre have been in touch, with remarkably clear CCTV video and images. They show the incident. Then the car quickly reversing and parking in another part of the car park. Plus some stills of the reg. The staff even went and took photo’s of their vehicle showing correlating damage and also got their contact details for us. Apparently the driver “didn’t notice” they’d hit my car.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No they're not, they're massiver

View attachment 43300
I have to say that looks like a new complex car park. An example of similar is Bluewater, where the bays are perfectly fine, whereas any old multistory (one in Maidstone was so tight I had trouble getting out the drivers door in my Jetta) or council car parks have old size spaces. Most car parks are still on there original paint markings, so wont be as big as many new cars need.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
The soft play centre have been in touch, with remarkably clear CCTV video and images. They show the incident. Then the car quickly reversing and parking in another part of the car park. Plus some stills of the reg. The staff even went and took photo’s of their vehicle showing correlating damage and also got their contact details for us. Apparently the driver “didn’t notice” they’d hit my car.

Probably too busy on their phone ?