Random Irritations

D

Deleted member 15344

Well its a good job The Mods know (y)

Do you mind clarifying please - what is political or not ?

Threads like the electric car has loads of political talk in it ? The Liv tour one ?

A thread asking about strikes ? How is that political ?

I was in the understanding that politics was banned because of the whole brexit ? Government ? General election after it dominated the OOB and was dominated by a couple

But it would be interesting to understand and know what’s defined by political ? Is there any definition?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The basic thread stating that rail strikes are happening and it is going to inconvenience a lot of people, is not political, it is a statement of fact.
It gets political when views are expressed that start to support one particular viewpoint or state a reason for the event that can be interpreted (by us ) as political

"When ministers refuse to get round the table "etc is a political statement as it is apportioning blame

There are others

Having said all that, the thread was only going to go one way, that should be obvious to all

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Do you mind clarifying please - what is political or not ?

Threads like the electric car has loads of political talk in it ? The Liv tour one ?

A thread asking about strikes ? How is that political ?

I was in the understanding that politics was banned because of the whole brexit ? Government ? General election after it dominated the OOB and was dominated by a couple

But it would be interesting to understand and know what’s defined by political ? Is there any definition?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

D

Deleted member 15344

The basic thread stating that rail strikes are happening and it is going to inconvenience a lot of people, is not political, it is a statement of fact.
It gets political when views are expressed that start to support one particular viewpoint or state a reason for the event that can be interpreted (by us ) as political

"When ministers refuse to get round the table "etc is a political statement as it is apportioning blame

There are others

Having said all that, the thread was only going to go one way, that should be obvious to all

So the thread wasn’t political but was deleted because you expected it to go one way ? Surely it’s better to ensure it doesn’t go one way by ensuring the posters don’t take it that way ?‍♂️

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
So the thread wasn’t political but was deleted because you expected it to go one way ? Surely it’s better to ensure it doesn’t go one way by ensuring the posters don’t take it that way ?‍♂️

But the posters took it that direction, is that my fault?

as an aside, the deliberate creation of a thread in the knowledge that it is very likely going to turn bad, could be construed as flaming….

Just saying ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry I didn’t see that it took that direction - The thread was deleted before I had chance to look. It’s a shame that the posters who took it that way can’t be dealt with and that an adult conversation about it can’t occur

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes the second bit

as an aside, the deliberate creation of a thread in the knowledge that it is very likely going to turn bad, could be construed as flaming….

Just saying ?

So is that how it is now - no chance of anyone having any sort of emotive of potentially contraversial discussions within the forum because some will always react because they are incapable of being an adult

Is it not possible to have that sort of conversation on here now , it used to be ok and the forum has had made very enlightening and hard hitting threads with some very good lessons learned etc

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
So is that how it is now - no chance of anyone having any sort of emotive of potentially contraversial discussions within the forum because some will always react because they are incapable of being an adult

Is it not possible to have that sort of conversation on here now , it used to be ok and the forum has had made very enlightening and hard hitting threads with some very good lessons learned etc

The management of GM have decreed that they do not want political threads on these boards.
They have given us guidance as to what is and isn’t acceptable and it is down to us mods to implement that.

We don’t have discretion to allow some but not others, if it is political then it gets binned, that’s just how it is.

As always, any mod decisions that you disagree with can be appealed with a pm to MarkT who is Forum Admin.

It’s a bit like golf, you don’t get to choose which rules you can ignore ?

D

Deleted member 15344

The management of GM have decreed that they do not want political threads on these boards.
They have given us guidance as to what is and isn’t acceptable and it is down to us mods to implement that.

We don’t have discretion to allow some but not others, if it is political then it gets binned, that’s just how it is.

As always, any mod decisions that you disagree with can be appealed with a pm to MarkT who is Forum Admin.

It’s a bit like golf, you don’t get to choose which rules you can ignore ?

And that i understand but that wasn’t my point

You stated that someone could be construed as “flaming” because they post a thread ( non political ) and some posters react incorrectly and drag the thread down etc -

There have been many emotive and hard hitting threads on the forum over the years that I suspect now people would react too meaning they get closed - so it seems that the we just can’t discuss those on the edge subjects as we have done in the past ( non political ) because some just can’t allow the sensible discussion ? And maybe that’s why a lot of those very knowledgeable ( both golf and non golf ) have left ?

It would be good to know exactly what can and can’t be discussed without fear of being accused of flaming etc

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
Phil, I’m not sure if you are being genuinely naïve or taking the mickey.

It was obvious even to a blind bat with no eyes who had to read the thread in bat braille, that the thread was going to turn political. How could it do anything else?

Comments to that effect were posted on the thread as early as post 3.

The job of the moderator is to react to posts that people put up, we rarely anticipate, we give threads a chance and if they go wrong we step in, as we did here and an infraction was given to another member.

You have been here long enough to know what’s what.

D

Deleted member 15344

Phil, I’m not sure if you are being genuinely naïve or taking the mickey.

It was obvious even to a blind bat with no eyes who had to read the thread in bat braille, that the thread was going to turn political. How could it do anything else?

Comments to that effect were posted on the thread as early as post 3.

The job of the moderator is to react to posts that people put up, we rarely anticipate, we give threads a chance and if they go wrong we step in, as we did here and an infraction was given to another member.

You have been here long enough to know what’s what.

I am being genuine here and trying to have a conversation to also help clarify - just two people having a discussion

The thread wasn’t started with any political intentions - it was purely about the peoples feelings if they were on the side of the strikers because in the past I have seen the public feelings towards strikes change ( fire strikes for example ) - there was certainly no intention of any flaming etc but it’s always going to hard for emotive subjects to be discussed on here if that’s going to be initial reaction

But if it’s got to the stage where some will immediately make it political then it’s a shame because that’s going to make it impossible for many subjects to be discussed here

Edit - sorry what I mean is there used to a point when many hard hitting subjects could be discussed on here , it seems that can happen these days with the way some react

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
I’m referring specifically to the rail strike thread, with a poll asking if people agree with the strikes or not.

That question demands an answer and people are going to answer yes or no and then add the magic word “because”

They will want to back up their poll answer with a reason how or why they answered in that way and that is going to turn political.

When members post political stuff, infractions are handed out and bans have been served, repeat offenders will be kicked off permanently.

Not sure what else we can do, but it helps to be aware of the posts you are creating, because as I have said before, this was always going to turn political.

Other subjects will be looked at on an individual basis

Now I’m going to try and rescue my evening