Random Irritations

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Speaking from recent personal experience, mental illness (depression, anxiety, etc) is very real and can easily turn a logical person into the complete opposite to the point where living just doesn't seem "worth it" or manageable.
The real problem is that whilst there are services out there to help, their resources are so stretched that the waiting list is stupidly long - eg, 2 years for an ASD assessment. When in a very dark place, the affected person needs more immediate help and cannot simply hang on for that length of time.
Another issue is the lack of cohesion between the various support services, or even worse, incompetence within the services - something that can make the affected person feel even more helpless.
The frustration and energy needed to simply get to speak to you own GP is unbelievable.

Is suicide selfish? Yes and no...
Yes for those left dealing with the aftermath - family, friends, loved ones, emergency services.
No for the affected person, because despite crying out for help, the situation is made worse by lack of action.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Won't be a popular (I hardly ever am)

But people who jump under trains. Selfish

I appreciate they are struggling and have had enough but a selfish way to go.

Driver is in bits. That will live with them forever.

Tones of Police, lfb and ambulance in attendance .. when could be helping people who need it

100 people stuck on the track for an hour before they could be safely detrained

All for one person.

I hope the driver can get the help she needs because she was in pieces when she phoned through.

Supervisor was so shaken we had to send one of our staff down as emergency manager to do the stalled train.

My twin brother killed himself by walking out in front of a train.

Your post is as offensive as it is total bollocks.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Sorry for your loss however as someone who has to deal with the aftermath and the poor train driver who saw the person go under her train . It is a selfish way to go about it.

Considering I'm well into double figures of "one unders" having to deal with and the aftermath.. I'm in a comfortable place to give my opinion

I appreciate for you it's offensive because of your personal experience with your brother and for that I apologise.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

It is not bollocks at all. Read the last paragraph of GaryKs excellent post above.

I said earlier that suicide is selfish, as usual with these subjects my statement was too broad a stroke and there are always subtleties with all cases especially to avoid a long painful drawn out death. My view comes from a colleague who during an argument with his wife and in front of their young daughter threw himself head first off of their 7th story balcony. A week later she had to make the decision to turn off his life support. Even now 10 years later everyone who knew him asks why he did it like that.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is not bollocks at all. Read the last paragraph of GaryKs excellent post above.

I said earlier that suicide is selfish, as usual with these subjects my statement was too broad a stroke and there are always subtleties with all cases especially to avoid a long painful drawn out death. My view comes from a colleague who during an argument with his wife and in front of their young daughter threw himself head first off of their 7th story balcony. A week later she had to make the decision to turn off his life support. Even now 10 years later everyone who knew him asks why he did it like that.
20220502_143730.jpg

This wasn't even all involved but look how many just to deal with 1 persons act. How many will feel the affects?

What if that driver took her life as she couldn't live with herself due to that person's actions impacting her?

So many variables

D

Deleted member 15344

View attachment 42444

This wasn't even all involved but look how many just to deal with 1 persons act. How many will feel the affects?

What if that driver took her life as she couldn't live with herself due to that person's actions impacting her?

So many variables

Yes there are many variables hence why it’s imo not right to attach a label to someone who has reached a point where he believes that it’s better for all concerned to no longer be around

There are kids who have been bullied every day of their live who have decided to end it , grown adults who think there is no left for them in their life that’s worth living for , people who are suffering illnesses that mean they suffer pain beyond belief every day and think it’s better to just end it

Unless someone has stood in those shoes and had to experience I don’t believe it’s ever right to point a finger at them

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes there are many variables hence why it’s imo not right to attach a label to someone who has reached a point where he believes that it’s better for all concerned to no longer be around

There are kids who have been bullied every day of their live who have decided to end it , grown adults who think there is no left for them in their life that’s worth living for , people who are suffering illnesses that mean they suffer pain beyond belief every day and think it’s better to just end it

Unless someone has stood in those shoes and had to experience I don’t believe it’s ever right to point a finger at them

It's the method for me. If it's that bad no offence bottle of pills and vodka. Least it doesn't affect 100+ other people.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mum and moaning about my nan.

My nan has covid ATM, my grandad is very sick bed ridden , carers etc

My nan is making him food and bringing to him (she has just had knee surgery replacement)

But anyways it's real life mum!! Ofc she going to see grandad they live together and he can't get up

D

Deleted member 15344

It's the method for me. If it's that bad no offence bottle of pills and vodka. Least it doesn't affect 100+ other people.

Do you think someone who has reached that conclusion in their life that they are then capable of any sort of clear thinking.

It’s not that simple and never will be that simple - and it’s not right to just label someone.

The effect of someone committing suicide is vast and destructive but it’s never simple

The emergency services are trained to deal with it , the train drivers will have process’s in place to help deal with it.

People stuck on a train or being late etc - the last thought of anyone , it’s just an inconvenience in the grand scheme of it all

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you think someone who has reached that conclusion in their life that they are then capable of any sort of clear thinking.

It’s not that simple and never will be that simple - and it’s not right to just label someone.

The effect of someone committing suicide is vast and destructive but it’s never simple

The emergency services are trained to deal with it , the train drivers will have process’s in place to help deal with it.

People stuck on a train or being late etc - the last thought of anyone , it’s just an inconvenience in the grand scheme of it all

Ah yes the trauma support team ...doesn't help when the trauma support driver on duty was the driver who's train it was.

I stand by my post. It's a selfish act.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Ah yes the trauma support team ...doesn't help when the trauma support driver on duty was the driver who's train it was.

I stand by my post. It's a selfish act.

If there is only one trauma support driver on duty maybe your irritation should be towards the management who have failed to foresee this possibility rather than someone who, to quote the coroner's narrative, "took their own life whilst the balance of their mind was disturbed".

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If there is only one trauma support driver on duty maybe your irritation should be towards the management who have failed to foresee this possibility rather than someone who, to quote the coroner's narrative, "took their own life whilst the balance of their mind was disturbed".

96 trains per hour, 4 depots , think it's 6 trauma support volunteers per depot? I'd have to check but rings a bell. It's very rare you get 2 or more a shift.

But @PhilTheFragger has called time. So I will withdraw from this convo now and apologises for offence caused for any affected by the statement.