Random Irritations

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Debbie McGee turning up on daytime TV to advertise rip-off sav …. sorry funeral plans. Sorry has the £1M+ that Paul Daniels left you run out already?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Getting a letter telling me, like it or not, I am having a water meter fitted...
Apparently it's because we live in a "water stressed" area...
Only because you absolute bunch of robbing barstewards have elected to pay out HUGE dividends rather than invest in infrastructure :mad::mad::mad:...
You did well to avoid them till now. We had no option the best part of 10 years ago at least.You learn to not flush the toilet for everything that goes in it;)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got asked a technical question at work, answered it then another one that was just pure laziness. I separated the email out sent directly to the person asking, with the answer. Nothing judgemental, never is, I have the patience of a saint, kind of accept we all have panic sessions.
Get a really rude response telling me how unhelpful I was, and how I was confusing, with his manager in cc. Just replied sorry wasn’t my intention. Although explanation was something I googled up and was clear and precise, because I did not want to confuse.
Bloke keeps on sending stupid questions, I haven’t bothered with any of them. Cannot be bothered with the response that will raise my blood pressure..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Office politics and people having different expectations of you.

I recently moved projects, and having handed over, my new manager has made it clear that I'm to focus 100% on my new project. (Of course he's going to say that.) Meanwhile my successor on the old project is not fully trained in the system, because communication was lost somewhere over the last few weeks so they didn't get her up to speed in time (not her fault). Now I'm being CCed on all the things that she doesn't have rights to do as if they expect me to do it, when my manager has expressly told me not get involved. I sent an email trying to clarify the situation yesterday and it launched a slanging match with about 5 emails going this way and that (not from me!). Ridiculous. All they have to do is give her the full rights to do her job but they are refusing because she hasn't been trained - it's a bit late for that because she's already managing the bloody project!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think mine has come down every year for the last 3, maybe it's an age thing, I'm 63 now
i always leave mine till the day it runs out then either renew if its the same or look for a lower one. according to Martin Lewis you should do it 21-24 days i did this last year and got it miles cheaper.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i always leave mine till the day it runs out then either renew if its the same or look for a lower one. according to Martin Lewis you should do it 21-24 days i did this last year and got it miles cheaper.

Last renewal, mine went up from 140 to 230.

I did a bit of shopping about, and got a like for like quote for 120.

Phoned up the current insurer to cancel the auto-renew, they say hold on and we will see if we can come up with a better price. They then come back and say "great news, we can do it for 165, would you like to go ahead with that?"

You can guess my response!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

I have swapped. It's not due til the end of the month, but I saw a deal, with a recognised provider that looked sensible. So if last years price was x, the new quote was + 186, the new deal is - 72 on last year.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Email from Royal Mail telling me I missed a delivery just before 8am this morning.

Curious - we were up and about and not expecting anything - Warning bell rings. Unlikely looking email address - Warning bell rings again - then spotted request to pay £3 to have delivery rescheduled - clarion of bells. Ignored reschedule link - but clicked on the Welsh language link (shouldn't really have done that) - nothing - a dummy link. Confirmed. Spam Email. Looked very genuine until I looked again.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Email from Royal Mail telling me I missed a delivery just before 8am this morning.

Curious - we were up and about and not expecting anything - Warning bell rings. Unlikely looking email address - Warning bell rings again - then spotted request to pay £3 to have delivery rescheduled - clarion of bells. Ignored reschedule link - but clicked on the Welsh language link (shouldn't really have done that) - nothing - a dummy link. Confirmed. Spam Email. Looked very genuine until I looked again.

I had a similar text yesterday and also googled to find there's quite a scam going round.

Mandofred

Visit site
I get two things, but only rarely. 1. A call...."We have heard you were in an accident recently....." 2. Email.....about the HMRC and a possible fraud situation on our taxes.

I get the first one every couple of months, only had the second one twice I think.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Office politics and people having different expectations of you.

I recently moved projects, and having handed over, my new manager has made it clear that I'm to focus 100% on my new project. (Of course he's going to say that.) Meanwhile my successor on the old project is not fully trained in the system, because communication was lost somewhere over the last few weeks so they didn't get her up to speed in time (not her fault). Now I'm being CCed on all the things that she doesn't have rights to do as if they expect me to do it, when my manager has expressly told me not get involved. I sent an email trying to clarify the situation yesterday and it launched a slanging match with about 5 emails going this way and that (not from me!). Ridiculous. All they have to do is give her the full rights to do her job but they are refusing because she hasn't been trained - it's a bit late for that because she's already managing the bloody project!
Why not suggest ALL the cc’s be sent to your new Manager so that he is aware of the problem AND your old Manager

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Had a call today and apparently the Fraud Office are investigating serious fraud with my National Insurance number and my possesions are going to be confiscated unless I ring the number. Now in a panic, What to do? What to do?

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I get two things, but only rarely. 1. A call...."We have heard you were in an accident recently....." 2. Email.....about the HMRC and a possible fraud situation on our taxes.

I get the first one every couple of months, only had the second one twice I think.
We have put a blocker on our landline - only numbers we register with the provider will get through - all others are blocked and the caller has to leave a message and is put on hold. Our phone rings and we hear the message - we choose whether to pick up or not. Had this a couple of months and so far not a single cold caller has bothered leaving a message and computer generated calls obviously don't either.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why not suggest ALL the cc’s be sent to your new Manager so that he is aware of the problem AND your old Manager
My manager is aware of the issued and reaffirmed our position that I shouldn't be doing work on the old project. Basically there is a consultant for the old project who is supposed to support the document controller in charge there (my successor) but he is not interested at all, and expects me to do it for some reason. Which won't be happening! :LOL: