New rules at golf club - am I right to be annoyed?

Springveldt

Visit site
I’m not in anyway trolling him, have a look at the thread from the beginning, he left facts out, allowed other posters to make derogatory comments about his Club without correcting them on facts, seriously, take a look at his responses when they’ve gone on half a story, he’s even had posters recommend he finds another Club or collect signatures to force an EGM, all based on half a story.

His Golf Club Facebook page (part of which I copied and pasted) clearly states the changes to the comp is a temporary measure.

He has 7 days a week to get his handicap and meet people, instead of a comp taking up saturday and sunday they’ve reduced it to saturday, surely that means sunday is social golf.

I would hope all Clubs encourage new members, but it can’t be 100% responsibility on the Club to integrate them, again their Facebook page states they have took on 70 new members recently, if all 70 are doing what he’s doing then either the Club will get the message quickly or god help the secretary.
If I was a new member at that club and they threw a change like that, I’d be asking for my money back.
In my circumstances, I can only play 1 round a week on a Saturday and I’m sure there are plenty more out there like that so how would a new member be expected to suddenly round up a 3 ball to get a tee time? Stand around the first tee begging for a game? Putting your name on a sheet in the locker room (I haven’t been in ours for over a year). It would be like starting school again, trying to make random friends.
At least with the BRS system the OP can look for a space and book in and get to know people that way.
If they are going to do a draw, at least make it random singles where you can specify a preferred time range instead of it must be a 3 or 4 ball and the 3 ball can tell a single to GTF if they don’t want them.
It’s 2020 not 1920.

D

Deleted member 16999

If I was a new member at that club and they threw a change like that, I’d be asking for my money back. They have explained it is a temporary measure.
In my circumstances, I can only play 1 round a week on a Saturday and I’m sure there are plenty more out there like that so how would a new member be expected to suddenly round up a 3 ball to get a tee time? Stand around the first tee begging for a game?That’s your circumstance, not the OP’s, he’s already stated he uses BRS and can play at other times.

Putting your name on a sheet in the locker room (I haven’t been in ours for over a year). It would be like starting school again, trying to make random friends.

At least with the BRS system the OP can look for a space and book in and get to know people that way. He can on 6 other days.

If they are going to do a draw, at least make it random singles where you can specify a preferred time range instead of it must be a 3 or 4 ball and the 3 ball can tell a single to GTF if they don’t want them. He’s approached the Secretary, why not wait and see if they help him?

It’s 2020 not 1920. It’s not me on here who constantly defends drawn comps, BRS is the way forward, wouldn’t it be fair to get a response from the Club?

I’ve tried my best to be fair on here, but the op has lied and failed to give all the facts, he’s allowing complete strangers to publicly slag off the way that Club is run with no response from them.

The very first reply to him is incorrect and not only did he not put them straight, he agreed with their comment.

Surely he should be concentrating on getting a handicap first before whining about not playing in a Comp?

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but, imo, his credibility is in question when he can’t be honest.

Reactions: Doh

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I’ve tried my best to be fair on here, but the op has lied and failed to give all the facts, he’s allowing complete strangers to publicly slag off the way that Club is run with no response from them.

The very first reply to him is incorrect and not only did he not put them straight, he agreed with their comment.

Surely he should be concentrating on getting a handicap first before whining about not playing in a Comp?

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but, imo, his credibility is in question when he can’t be honest.

I can sense your frustration and do understand it. And I do agree that maybe some info wasnt brought up which does reflect worse on his club that is necessary.

However, Its not hard for a club to make the process they have slightly more inclusive and I think thats his major point here.

Im a new member at my club too, our system is fully online and every grouping is drawn via the computer system so no one, ever, can choose their playing group in comps. I see this as the most fair system there is. I also think it's very strange that the club requires someone on site at 7pm on a set day to get their drawn tee time, there's no reason as to why this cant just be put up in the clubhouse and on a FB page weekly following the draw? The system put in place does feel very un-inclusive - in my opinion.

A simple solve would be for the club to allocate two or three tee times as "new member" groups that you could add your name to be randomly drawn with in comps? Issue here being - not all new members will know all the rules!

D

Deleted member 16999

I can sense your frustration and do understand it. And I do agree that maybe some info wasnt brought up which does reflect worse on his club that is necessary.

However, Its not hard for a club to make the process they have slightly more inclusive and I think thats his major point here.

Im a new member at my club too, our system is fully online and every grouping is drawn via the computer system so no one, ever, can choose their playing group in comps. I see this as the most fair system there is. I also think it's very strange that the club requires someone on site at 7pm on a set day to get their drawn tee time, there's no reason as to why this cant just be put up in the clubhouse and on a FB page weekly following the draw? The system put in place does feel very un-inclusive - in my opinion.

A simple solve would be for the club to allocate two or three tee times as "new member" groups that you could add your name to be randomly drawn with in comps? Issue here being - not all new members will know all the rules!
I totally agree from the one side we have been given it looks harsh, however, it was 1 Comp spread over 2 days, it’s now only 1 day and they have brought this in as a temporary measure.

That leaves 6 days for booking via BRS and to get his handicap sorted whilst getting to know people, which I believe he is already doing as he played with at least 1 other person the other day.

If they have 70 new members 2-3 tee times won’t be enough?

Lot’s of Clubs do it different ways, some are better than others, some people will move Clubs till they find the one they like, whatever suits, I still think it’s wrong for ANY Club to be criticised and put down without all the facts being known.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I totally agree from the one side we have been given it looks harsh, however, it was 1 Comp spread over 2 days, it’s now only 1 day and they have brought this in as a temporary measure.

That leaves 6 days for booking via BRS and to get his handicap sorted whilst getting to know people, which I believe he is already doing as he played with at least 1 other person the other day.

Lot’s of Clubs do it different ways, some are better than others, some people will move Clubs till they find the one they like, whatever suits, I still think it’s wrong for ANY Club to be criticised and put down without all the facts being known.

The 2-3 tees was only a suggestion as a way they could include the new members from the outset and get them involved in comps/ playing for their handicaps with other new members. These would then quickly develop to regular 4 balls id imagine! Freeing up the future slots for other new members. I have joined alongside a couple of friends, neither of which are interested in comps at present - but I am! 70 new members doesnt necesserily mean 70 more players wanting entry into every comp.

I do agree its not right to criticise your club as they're just doing their best, perhaps the committee's average age is older and theyre just not taking into account younger players who may have prior commitments and therefore cannot make these draws, perhaps there are other reasons for the decision. I do feel the "in person" draw for a tee time is a bit silly, but thats my only issue with the approach they have taken. But as you say, its not for long and not forever! I just know that this would stop me being able to enter comps if they did the same at my club.

D

Deleted member 16999

The 2-3 tees was only a suggestion as a way they could include the new members from the outset and get them involved in comps/ playing for their handicaps with other new members. These would then quickly develop to regular 4 balls id imagine! Freeing up the future slots for other new members. I have joined alongside a couple of friends, neither of which are interested in comps at present - but I am! 70 new members doesnt necesserily mean 70 more players wanting entry into every comp.

I do agree its not right to criticise your club as they're just doing their best, perhaps the committee's average age is older and theyre just not taking into account younger players who may have prior commitments and therefore cannot make these draws, perhaps there are other reasons for the decision. I do feel the "in person" draw for a tee time is a bit silly, but thats my only issue with the approach they have taken. But as you say, its not for long and not forever! I just know that this would stop me being able to enter comps if they did the same at my club.
We have a similar daft system at our place, the BRS is opened in the Clubhouse prior to it going live on the internet, this is/was (not currently due to Covid) was to encourage members in to the Bar and give those without the internet a chance to book.

It only affects those playing in Comps, otherwise BRS is available 7 days in advance 7 days a week.

Good luck in your Golfing journey, and don’t let people like me on the forum put you off getting involved in forum events 95% of people on here are absolutely sound, the other 5% (including me) can’t help getting a bee in their bonnet when something doesn’t sit right.(y)

sunshine

Visit site

I do feel you're being a little harsh on the OP.

A lot of people work Monday-Friday, and haven't got 6 free days to play. This situation only leaves Sunday - that may work sometimes but not always.
The current process is effectively excluding new members from Saturday competition. Reeks of a desperate attempt to maintain the status quo.
Requiring members to physically travel to the club to book into the comp, and sit in the car park for the draw, is an incredibly impractical way of organising the booking. Objectively, nobody would plan the process this way unless they were deliberately trying to devise a process to make sure they had priority. Comes across as very selfish.

I don't know the club, only going on what you (and others) have posted from the facebook page.

D

Deleted member 16999

I do feel you're being a little harsh on the OP.

A lot of people work Monday-Friday, and haven't got 6 free days to play. This situation only leaves Sunday - that may work sometimes but not always.
The current process is effectively excluding new members from Saturday competition. Reeks of a desperate attempt to maintain the status quo.
Requiring members to physically travel to the club to book into the comp, and sit in the car park for the draw, is an incredibly impractical way of organising the booking. Objectively, nobody would plan the process this way unless they were deliberately trying to devise a process to make sure they had priority. Comes across as very selfish.

I don't know the club, only going on what you (and others) have posted from the facebook page.
So if you’re only going on what he posted and I replied, why am I being harsh, maybe if he supplied all the facts it would be different, I agree about the car park, but they can leave their number for the Club to call or sit and wait, Yes it sounds daft to us, but again, only he can ask why.
There’s information missing that has led to some of us jumping to conclusions.

sunshine

Visit site
So if you’re only going on what he posted and I replied, why am I being harsh, maybe if he supplied all the facts it would be different, I agree about the car park, but they can leave their number for the Club to call or sit and wait, Yes it sounds daft to us, but again, only he can ask why.
There’s information missing that has led to some of us jumping to conclusions.

You're being harsh because you're accusing him of lying, but from what I can read all he's done is leave out some information which doesn't change the facts (as far as I'm concerned). You agree the situation sounds daft, looks like it's been implemented to favour certain members over others.

D

Deleted member 16999

You're being harsh because you're accusing him of lying, but from what I can read all he's done is leave out some information which doesn't change the facts (as far as I'm concerned). You agree the situation sounds daft, looks like it's been implemented to favour certain members over others.
I’m being harsh or people are just willing to believe anything posted?
Seriously, if you have a minute go back and read his replies to his opening post, it’s blindingly obvious he didn’t check the facts before he posted, ie, it was all about him getting sympathy, they have said it’s a temporary method due to Covid restrictions, has he told us what the format was pre-lockdown? No,

He’s gone along with people gathering in the Clubhouse, no they don’t.

He posted the new method starts this weekend, no it doesn’t.

Have at look at post No #16, he actually states he hopes the Club get it wrong and the Comp fails! That’s sad! If it’s a success will he accept it might be what the majority want?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree it’s not a “drawn Comp” I made that exact point.

As for the retrograde step, again, they have took on 70 new members, this step is temporary as explained on their facebook site and again I agree it’s not ideal, but you can’t blame and expect the Club to wipe the nose of all 70 during this current crisis.

He’s a new member there who has come on a public site to moan about his new Club, he didn’t correct people when they got the information wrong and they sort off slagged his Club and not once has he told us about how he’s trying to integrate except moan to the secretary.
IMHO, Covid or not, it's still a retrograde step.
They currently have a booking system whereby all members get a shot at bagging a tee time. They are changing back to an older system whereby only those who have already sorted themselves into groups can get a slot. For various reasons, especially new members, people may not have the necessary contacts - and are now disadvantaged.

Of course he can do what he can to get to know people - and I imagine he will. But he's still disadvantaged in the meantime. And he's (presumably) paid the same subs as everyone else.

D

Deleted member 16999

IMHO, Covid or not, it's still a retrograde step.
They currently have a booking system whereby all members get a shot at bagging a tee time. They are changing back to an older system whereby only those who have already sorted themselves into groups can get a slot. For various reasons, especially new members, people may not have the necessary contacts - and are now disadvantaged.

Of course he can do what he can to get to know people - and I imagine he will. But he's still disadvantaged in the meantime. And he's (presumably) paid the same subs as everyone else.
Sorry, but surely until we know what they did pre-covid, we are all guessing!

How many times on here have we seen discussions or drawn v non-drawn comps, roll ups v pre booking, BRS v non-BRS, members choices v outside view?

There isn’t an ideal system that all Clubs use and to go on the half story of one person it is wrong, imo, to put a Club down and how they do business.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, but surely until we know what they did pre-covid, we are all guessing!

How many times on here have we seen discussions or drawn v non-drawn comps, roll ups v pre booking, BRS v non-BRS, members choices v outside view?

There isn’t an ideal system that all Clubs use and to go on the half story of one person it is wrong, imo, to put a Club down and how they do business.

It was you who posted that the club was going back to an old system - when you quoted from their facebook page "3. We have decided to revert to the Saturday tee time draw ..." Whether that's long pre-covid or immediately pre-covid I have no idea - but it certainly suggests an "old" system - which had been dropped at some stage.

I just think changing from a system that currently allows individuals to book, to one that doesn't, is retrograde. But either way, I have my opinion, and you have yours.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't tell if you're trolling him or not!?

If not, you really don't sound sympathetic to his plight. It may not be your intention, but that's how it's coming across.

From what he's written, it sounds very poor form from the club, and something I think they will need to change back if they want new members to feel included.

I cannot believe he's sticking up for the club. THe fella said he's just joined. How can he meet up with others with current restrictions? The club in question are pandering to the current old guard and should be ashamed of themselves. They don't deserve to have any new members. I'd ask for my money back. Disgraceful behaviour.

D

Deleted member 16999

It was you who posted that the club was going back to an old system - when you quoted from their facebook page "3. We have decided to revert to the Saturday tee time draw ..." Whether that's long pre-covid or immediately pre-covid I have no idea - but it certainly suggests an "old" system - which had been dropped at some stage.

I just think changing from a system that currently allows individuals to book, to one that doesn't, is retrograde. But either way, I have my opinion, and you have yours.
Yes, that was to the op and is described as a temporary measure and advertised by them as “more good news” the system he “likes” was forced upon them.

It’s not an “old” system it’s the one they use and have reverted back to with restrictions.

Like you finish with, it is about opinions and it wouldn’t be if we had been given actual facts rather than half stories.

D

Deleted member 16999

I cannot believe he's sticking up for the club. THe fella said he's just joined. How can he meet up with others with current restrictions? The club in question are pandering to the current old guard and should be ashamed of themselves. They don't deserve to have any new members. I'd ask for my money back. Disgraceful behaviour.
Prove it, prove they are looking after the old guard, it’s an assumption.

The OP also started another thread about Pro rata membership and moaned, but still joined.

Imo, he posts looking for sympathy, the Club has over 700 members and one new one comes on here whining and everyone falls for it, how about giving the other 699 a break.

sunshine

Visit site
Yes, that was to the op and is described as a temporary measure and advertised by them as “more good news” the system he “likes” was forced upon them.

It’s not an “old” system it’s the one they use and have reverted back to with restrictions.

Like you finish with, it is about opinions and it wouldn’t be if we had been given actual facts rather than half stories.

Old or new, temporary or permanent. Bottom line - it's a terrible system designed to favour certain members and maintain a clique.

D

Deleted member 16999

Old or new, temporary or permanent. Bottom line - it's a terrible system designed to favour certain members and maintain a clique.
In your opinion.(y)

I’d rather know the actual facts before slating how another Club conduct their business.