New rules at golf club - am I right to be annoyed?

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
Book for non-comp play. (y)

The rules to enter the Comp are clearly laid down and straightforward on their Social Media sites.

I do book for non comp play (twice a week usually). There is no indication of who is a new member and who isn't, tee times aren't at a premium mid week and booking a slot means id usually be going round myself

I know they are. But they have just recently changed (also clearly laid down and straightforward on social media sites) from a simple first come first served on the BRS at 7pm on a Monday

This thread is about that change and why I'm annoyed by it

D

Deleted member 16999

Actually I never mentioned in my post how the draw was being carried out (Coronavirus concerns weren't my issue)

The point of having no BRS and a four ball only draw still remains - not sure what I've posted is any different from what is above

I'd gladly meet the other new members - not sure how I can do that with the clubhouse being shut and Saturday competitions being limited to pre agreed four balls only?
You never once came back on and clarified for people the system your Club has introduced, numerous posts mentioned gatherings and you never put them straight.

The facebook page doesn’t say 4 Balls only, it says 1 from each 4 Ball, therefore you could find 1 other to play with or turn up on your own and book and hope others get added to you.

I’d hope this day and age all Clubs would try and integrate new members, but in these unprecedented times with large numbers joining and restrictions due to Covid, you or anybody can’t expect the Club to do all the leg work. Have you been proactive in anyway? Ie, put a note up in the Clubhouse or on facebook asking if any other members (new or old) wish to join you to make a 4 Ball.

Going on your Club’s sites they really do come across as a well run, very organised, welcoming Club, maybe you need to give them some benefit of the doubt or some time there before looking for faults.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
You never once came back on and clarified for people the system your Club has introduced, numerous posts mentioned gatherings and you never put them straight.

The facebook page doesn’t say 4 Balls only, it says 1 from each 4 Ball, therefore you could find 1 other to play with or turn up on your own and book and hope others get added to you.

I’d hope this day and age all Clubs would try and integrate new members, but in these unprecedented times with large numbers joining and restrictions due to Covid, you or anybody can’t expect the Club to do all the leg work. Have you been proactive in anyway? Ie, put a note up in the Clubhouse or on facebook asking if any other members (new or old) wish to join you to make a 4 Ball.

Going on your Club’s sites they really do come across as a well run, very organised, welcoming Club, maybe you need to give them some benefit of the doubt or some time there before looking for faults.

Well as a matter of fact I have emailed to confirm and a minimum of a pre agreed three ball that can go up to collect a tee time for the draw, but I didn't feel the need to go into that level of detail on this forum

The club are welcoming and inclusive to new members. Infact, when I was joining they mentioned the first come first served BRS for a Saturday comp was specifically chosen to mix up playing groups and integrate new members - hence why I'm annoyed it's now changed

D

Deleted member 16999

Well as a matter of fact I have emailed to confirm and a minimum of a pre agreed three ball that can go up to collect a tee time for the draw, but I didn't feel the need to go into that level of detail on this forum

The club are welcoming and inclusive to new members. Infact, when I was joining they mentioned the first come first served BRS for a Saturday comp was specifically chosen to mix up playing groups and integrate new members - hence why I'm annoyed it's now changed
How can first come first served mix up playing groups? That’s a contradiction on its own.
All BRS would allow is for you to see gaps! Surely if you now roughly what time you like to play, you could rock up on the Thursday and simply ask the committee to fill you in a space around that time if possible, then by their rules you’ll know that night if you’re playing 9 days later.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
How can first come first served mix up playing groups? That’s a contradiction on its own.
All BRS would allow is for you to see gaps! Surely if you now roughly what time you like to play, you could rock up on the Thursday and simply ask the committee to fill you in a space around that time if possible, then by their rules you’ll know that night if you’re playing 9 days later.

That's my whole issue! BRS let me see gaps where I could join in and meet people. They've told me that isn't allowed in the draw process, has to be a pre arranged four ball or three ball. They've offered to ask any three balls if they'd be willing to accept another member joining in, but they've said that's at the discretion of the three ball

D

Deleted member 16999

That's my whole issue! BRS let me see gaps where I could join in and meet people. They've told me that isn't allowed in the draw process, has to be a pre arranged four ball or three ball. They've offered to ask any three balls if they'd be willing to accept another member joining in, but they've said that's at the discretion of the three ball
So they’re trying to help then.(y)

D

Deleted member 3432

I get the feeling BRS entries can't be done for comps because some 'long established members/the clique' can't get their preferred tee times or are worried about not being able to play with their mates and sod the rest of the membership.

Why make people have a pointless trip to the golf club to enter a comp in this day and age? Bonkers springs to mind.

D

Deleted member 16999

I get the feeling BRS entries can't be done for comps because some 'long established members/the clique' can't get their preferred tee times or are worried about not being able to play with their mates and sod the rest of the membership.

Why make people have a pointless trip to the golf club to enter a comp in this day and age? Bonkers springs to mind.
It can’t be used for drawn comps, we enter main board comps via list in locker room then committee publish draw on BRS, every non-drawn comp is via BRS.
Don’t think it’s anything to do with cliques etc, just the way Clubs prefer to do drawn comps.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It can’t be used for drawn comps, we enter main board comps via list in locker room then committee publish draw on BRS, every non-drawn comp is via BRS.
Don’t think it’s anything to do with cliques etc, just the way Clubs prefer to do drawn comps.
But its not a "drawn comp" is it? People are selecting their own partners/groups. The only "drawn" element of the process is the time.
And if you're not part of a three or four ball, (it seems) you dont get any chance of getting a time-slot.

I'm with the OP - seems a retrograde step and severely disadvantages those without regular partners - which is mainly the new members.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

But its not a "drawn comp" is it? People are selecting their own partners/groups. The only "drawn" element of the process is the time.
And if you're not part of a three or four ball, (it seems) you dont get any chance of getting a time-slot.

I'm with the OP - seems a retrograde step and severely disadvantages those without regular partners - which is mainly the new members.
I agree it’s not a “drawn Comp” I made that exact point.

As for the retrograde step, again, they have took on 70 new members, this step is temporary as explained on their facebook site and again I agree it’s not ideal, but you can’t blame and expect the Club to wipe the nose of all 70 during this current crisis.

He’s a new member there who has come on a public site to moan about his new Club, he didn’t correct people when they got the information wrong and they sort off slagged his Club and not once has he told us about how he’s trying to integrate except moan to the secretary.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
I agree it’s not a “drawn Comp” I made that exact point.

As for the retrograde step, again, they have took on 70 new members, this step is temporary as explained on their facebook site and again I agree it’s not ideal, but you can’t blame and expect the Club to wipe the nose of all 70 during this current crisis.

He’s a new member there who has come on a public site to moan about his new Club, he didn’t correct people when they got the information wrong and they sort off slagged his Club and not once has he told us about how he’s trying to integrate except moan to the secretary.

I disagree. The lack of being able to simply join in without a pre existing group lacks inclusivity. You wouldn’t get this at a typical tennis, squash club etc.

The club needs to do their best to nurture these new members or they will take flight once they have less time post-Covid.

Maybe the club could set aside a few slots for new members or those without a regular playing partner.

It all sounds very cliquey...

D

Deleted member 16999

I disagree. The lack of being able to simply join in without a pre existing group lacks inclusivity. You wouldn’t get this at a typical tennis, squash club etc.

The club needs to do their best to nurture these new members or they will take flight once they have less time post-Covid.

Maybe the club could set aside a few slots for new members or those without a regular playing partner.

Has the op made any effort to join a group? The only effort he’s made is to speak to the secretary.
Why hasn’t he asked people he’s already played with?

Sorry, but, imo, there’s a lot gaps in the information supplied to put it all on the Club.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
Has the op made any effort to join a group? The only effort he’s made is to speak to the secretary.
Why hasn’t he asked people he’s already played with?

Sorry, but, imo, there’s a lot gaps in the information supplied to put it all on the Club.

I'm not repeating myself on here anymore, but again, how am I supposed to have met new members when up until two weeks ago there was a limit on numbers of people playing (3 balls only) and the only time I could actually play (as I was working on getting my handicap to allow me to play in competitions) was midweek, in non in demand times

This meant when I booked say a Tuesday at 5pm, there was noone else jumping on my booking to play with me

Please tell me, with no rolls ups/draws/clubhouse open how should I have integrated better in the last few weeks since I've had a membership to find a regular 3/4 ball to play with?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Our club is not great when it comes to integrating new members. I was fortunate to meet a few fellow starters when I joined a few years ago, but that was more by luck than anything else. I've bumped into a few guys who have been members for a while but have no regular partners. I know some have left because of this.

I played at an away club last year, and they had a sheet on the locker room wall for people who were looking for partners to put their contact details on. I thought that was a great idea and suggested it at our place, but nothing happened. I also suggested a novices section, but never got a response.

D

Deleted member 16999

I'm not repeating myself on here anymore, but again, how am I supposed to have met new members when up until two weeks ago there was a limit on numbers of people playing (3 balls only) and the only time I could actually play (as I was working on getting my handicap to allow me to play in competitions) was midweek, in non in demand times

This meant when I booked say a Tuesday at 5pm, there was noone else jumping on my booking to play with me

Please tell me, with no rolls ups/draws/clubhouse open how should I have integrated better in the last few weeks since I've had a membership to find a regular 3/4 ball to play with?
How about booking with others on BRS at any other time rather than during the comp (ie sunday), get your handicap sorted and at the same time get to know people and then play comps.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How about booking with others on BRS at any other time rather than during the comp (ie sunday), get your handicap sorted and at the same time get to know people and then play comps.

It's not a bad idea. Look for guys playing on their own, and add your name. If you have the clubV1 app, you should be able to get their mobile number from the members list on there, so drop them a text and ask if it's ok to join them. If you don't have the app, ask the pro shop for their contact details.

Mandofred

Visit site
This all comes back to the advantage of having plenty of roll-up groups. Problem solved of finding people to play with. If things were like they are now with having to kind of "force" your way into a playing time.....I wouldn't have started playing again....it would have been too much work just to find somebody to play with. All of our roll-up groups kind of book at about the same time as they used to, but it's not the same and takes a lot of the fun/camaraderie out of things. The golf course just isn't as much FUN as it used to be.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I can't tell if you're trolling him or not!?

If not, you really don't sound sympathetic to his plight. It may not be your intention, but that's how it's coming across.

From what he's written, it sounds very poor form from the club, and something I think they will need to change back if they want new members to feel included.

D

Deleted member 16999

I can't tell if you're trolling him or not!?

If not, you really don't sound sympathetic to his plight. It may not be your intention, but that's how it's coming across.

From what he's written, it sounds very poor form from the club, and something I think they will need to change back if they want new members to feel included.
I’m not in anyway trolling him, have a look at the thread from the beginning, he left facts out, allowed other posters to make derogatory comments about his Club without correcting them on facts, seriously, take a look at his responses when they’ve gone on half a story, he’s even had posters recommend he finds another Club or collect signatures to force an EGM, all based on half a story.

His Golf Club Facebook page (part of which I copied and pasted) clearly states the changes to the comp is a temporary measure.

He has 7 days a week to get his handicap and meet people, instead of a comp taking up saturday and sunday they’ve reduced it to saturday, surely that means sunday is social golf.

I would hope all Clubs encourage new members, but it can’t be 100% responsibility on the Club to integrate them, again their Facebook page states they have took on 70 new members recently, if all 70 are doing what he’s doing then either the Club will get the message quickly or god help the secretary.