New Golf Thinking...It's a long post

Daviefow

Hacker
Visit site
Need my wedge, it explicitly says the English Olympic team.
C1987 casual ignorance maybe, but ignorance can not be used as an excuse for denying people of their nationality? Did Ryan Giggs play for the English Olympic team, did sir chris hoy compete for the English olympic team?
I don't think it was intentional in any way but that does not excuse it.

D

Deleted member 15344

In Hockey the Olympic squad is regulary referred to as England Hockey Squad

Its not racism.

C

c1973

A bit like the curlers always being referred to as Scottish perhaps?

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Need my wedge, it explicitly says the English Olympic team.
C1987 casual ignorance maybe, but ignorance can not be used as an excuse for denying people of their nationality? Did Ryan Giggs play for the English Olympic team, did sir chris hoy compete for the English olympic team?
I don't think it was intentional in any way but that does not excuse it.

Wow.

Daviefow

Hacker
Visit site
That must be ok then seen as how we have always done it? Draw any comparison you would like from that piece of sarcasm.

Look I'm not on here for an argument, I was trying to point out the comment is offensive to a lot of people. I will again repeat I don't think it was intentional but that does not make it ok either.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 8 of us that attended the session are on a hiding to nothing trying to explain to those that are sceptical or those that just simply do not what to accept there is an alternative. The best way to appreciate what we are putting across about the session is to buy the book.

No your not really. I agree with the theory as I have used a similar one from reading Golf is not a game of perfect and it does work very well. The things said in the OP are of the same ilk as Bob Rotella with forgetting your bad shots and remember the good ones, don't have negative thoughts as they will cause negative shots, don't clutter the mind with swing thoughts, focus on as small a target as possible and go for the hole inside 100 yards. The biggest thing is to enjoy the game.
Hope you can all learn from the experiences you will receive during the course and if you heed what he teaches it will improve your game and your enjoyment of the game. Reading the Rotella book and understanding myself more has improved my game and enjoyment of the game no end.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
No it doesn't. Please go back and read it again if you think I've manipulated the following quote to include the ampersand.

[/FONT]

That's because I altered it with the permission of the OP for clarity and to stop the silly accusation of racism
#supermodpowers :)

D

Deleted member 15344

Well have so far only had a quick read of the introduction

What's this business about current authorities not saying that current methods "don't work" - is there proof that current thinking doesn't work ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I responded yesterday to a text from John O'keefe offering an assessment to those not selected for the Grove. I did the test and came out as an average 12, I bought the book and am well on the way through reading it. I wonder if it'll help and where, if at all, it differs from other golf psychology books I've read.

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I responded yesterday to a text from John O'keefe offering an assessment to those not selected for the Grove. I did the test and came out as an average 12, I bought the book and am well on the way through reading it. I wonder if it'll help and where, if at all, it differs from other golf psychology books I've read.

Same with me, going to have a look over the weekend.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Well have so far only had a quick read of the introduction

What's this business about current authorities not saying that current methods "don't work" - is there proof that current thinking doesn't work ?
Yes because with all the improvements in club technology, practise facilities, diet, hydration etc etc
Average handicaps havn't changed in 25 years

Yours might have, but average hasn't , the book covers this on page 14

Read on

C

c1973

I read it yesterday, thinking 'ok I may get something out of this, give it a go'. Unfortunately it's not for me, I still think these 'simple' techniques will clutter the mind somewhat. Imagining motorways and roundabouts in order to get to the flag is (to my mind) absolute nonsense. I still think the middle of the green allows more margin for error (be honest with your distances folks) than aiming to the back.

The slow play section was in places (i felt) contradictory, saying old thinking doesn't work then recommending what is in effect 'ready' golf. Is that not 'old thinking'? :confused:

However, I can see how others may feel it is useful to them and it is laid out in an easily accessible manner which is good.
I quite liked the idea of marker posts to indicate where groups should be on the course timewise though.

Best of luck to those using the techniques, I hope your scores start to tumble.:thup:

V

vkurup

how did you manage an assessment with John?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
how did you manage an assessment with John?

I believe John has contacted a number of people that applied for the day and were not chosen to attend (plus me who couldn't attend) to be part of a further panel, "the book panel" in the email we were sent a questionnaire to get your thinking handicap, see pic below, its pretty easy. my handicap came out at 19 which gives me lots of facets to work on with a view to reducing my actual playing handicap.

What's blank handicap_.jpg

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I believe John has contacted a number of people that applied for the day and were not chosen to attend (plus me who couldn't attend) to be part of a further panel, "the book panel" in the email we were sent a questionnaire to get your thinking handicap, see pic below, its pretty easy. my handicap came out at 19 which gives me lots of facets to work on with a view to reducing my actual playing handicap.

View attachment 10284

On the day at the Grove, mine came out as 19.4 (19) as well, with 'Freshen Up' and 'Rise to the Occasion' as being the two areas I need to look at first.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is my priority from john: Make your priority to do first CAN-DO ( because it affects the others) , RISE-TO -OCCASION and BOUNCE-BACK

V

vkurup

View attachment 10284

Then assume he has access to mine # somewhere... If ever he needed the next lot of people for the Grove then he knows where to find it.

Interesting questionnaire, will fill out once I am back from my MOT.

Just out of interest, did anyone come lower than actual HC i.e. plays off 18, but thinks like 12???