New Golf Thinking...It's a long post

C

c1973

Anyone heard of Edward De Bono and his six thinking hats? I'm sure you have. Well, think of the 'doubters', 'naysayers' and 'smartarses' along the lines of 'Black Hat' thinkers,Merely pointing out the flaws in order that those who are so eager to charge on are aware of them and consider them.
In actual fact they/we could be helping those people using the book by making them think a wee bit more and possibly sorting the wheat from the chaff. No? :)

The 'Black Hat' thinkers are usually considered to be the most important in these situations btw.:whistle:

D

Deleted member 15344

Just curious Liverpoolphil, have you completed the self-assessment form? We had a couple 5 HC's at the grove and their thinking HC was higher than their playing HC, so have you checked to see what yours would be? Would you share you thinking HC with us?

Will do it when I get home :thup:

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will do it when I get home :thup:

Having read the thread, would you consider trying this? I know you want to see others proof, but for someone who is a sceptic (self admitted?) about these things, I think it would be really interested to see you give your all to this for a few months, and see if you get the benefits the others are claiming. I realise it may not be what you want, but it does seem like the only proof you would accept! (Not a dig, there are many sceptical people about a lot of things, that want personal proof that they work)

I think that would be the biggest test of this! It would require really attempting it though for a while, which probably wouldn't suit the way you play galf.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having read the thread, would you consider trying this? I know you want to see others proof, but for someone who is a sceptic (self admitted?) about these things, I think it would be really interested to see you give your all to this for a few months, and see if you get the benefits the others are claiming. I realise it may not be what you want, but it does seem like the only proof you would accept! (Not a dig, there are many sceptical people about a lot of things, that want personal proof that they work)

I think that would be the biggest test of this! It would require really attempting it though for a while, which probably wouldn't suit the way you play galf.

Totally agree. Instead of getting others to post results, do it yourself, or at least try! If you don't try you don't know!

D

Deleted member 15344

Just curious Liverpoolphil, have you completed the self-assessment form? We had a couple 5 HC's at the grove and their thinking HC was higher than their playing HC, so have you checked to see what yours would be? Would you share you thinking HC with us?

My points total was 22 which gave me a thinking HC of 3 :thup:

Get rid of slow play and it would be less :D

D

Deleted member 15344

Try what ? The methods in the book ?

If there is something that I stumble upon in the book that I believe might have a change then I will give it a go but so far there is nothing that I can see that makes me want to try anymore methods - all appears to be putting more clutter and acronyms into people's heads.

D

Deleted member 15344

Fair play, you're pretty much squared away.

Being in the forces I think have had to learn to think positive and treat golf and all sports as enjoyment and not to be taken seriously

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Being in the forces I think have had to learn to think positive and treat golf and all sports as enjoyment and not to be taken seriously

Begs the question, if you don't take sport seriously (your words) and for the enjoyment, why are you seeking proof and results of players endeavours on this forum to improve? You keep banging on about enjoyment and fun yet dish it to others for trying something that may improve their game? I don't know about the others on here but I just don't get it?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Slight update on my progress.

As mentioned in another thread I shot possibly my best round ever, at least it was up there, at the weekend. Played a bounce game with a mate who beat me about 8 and 7 the last time we played, and I've not been within a gross 6 shots of him for many a year.

Before the NGT day my mindset was if I break 100 I am happy, with my aim being to shoot in the 90s regularly and occasionally in the 80s. And as Homer, Saint and Fragger will probably confirm, there may be a glimmer of potential there, but I play to around 24. And I was certainly over 100 at The Grove

But recently there have been some real signs of improvement. And armed with some NGT techniques focussing on the mental areas I most struggle with, I went into the round with a much more positive and more competitive mind set. Yes it was a fun experience but I wanted to win, as opposed to my old thinking of mostly expecting to have a great day in the sun, but would probably lose.

I started off well, by the 7th I was only 3 or 4 over par. Then had a mare on the 8th (a 9) and then a 6 on the 9th (a short par 3) and from being 3 shots to the better I was suddenly 4 behind.

Normally at that stage I'd go into 'fun' mode and get frustrated that I'd blown a potential great round. But I did not, I stayed competitive, put the mare holes behind me straight away and ended up only 3 over for the back 9, finishing 4 shots better than my PP.

My mate commented that my putting had improved lots, and I have really noticed this myself as when I'm near the green I've gone from an attitude of 'I can get it on and then hopefully 2 put' to 'This is going in'. And this really has made a difference, I had a few one puts and only one 3 put, which is a massive improvement for me.

Ended up with 10 pars and 6 bogeys (unheard of for me) and 47 points.

I'm not claiming that this could not of happened without the NGT techniques I was using, but I believe that it was a huge contributory factor in it and the NGT has really helped me with the specific areas I was struggling with.

V

vkurup

As mentioned in another thread I shot possibly my best round ever, at least it was up there, at the weekend. Played a bounce game with a mate who beat me about 8 and 7 the last time we played, and I've not been within a gross 6 shots of him for many a year.

Before the NGT day my mindset was if I break 100 I am happy, with my aim being to shoot in the 90s regularly and occasionally in the 80s. And as Homer, Saint and Fragger will probably confirm, there may be a glimmer of potential there, but I play to around 24. And I was certainly over 100 at The Grove

But recently there have been some real signs of improvement. And armed with some NGT techniques focussing on the mental areas I most struggle with, I went into the round with a much more positive and more competitive mind set. Yes it was a fun experience but I wanted to win, as opposed to my old thinking of mostly expecting to have a great day in the sun, but would probably lose.

I started off well, by the 7th I was only 3 or 4 over par. Then had a mare on the 8th (a 9) and then a 6 on the 9th (a short par 3) and from being 3 shots to the better I was suddenly 4 behind.

Normally at that stage I'd go into 'fun' mode and get frustrated that I'd blown a potential great round. But I did not, I stayed competitive, put the mare holes behind me straight away and ended up only 3 over for the back 9, finishing 4 shots better than my PP.

My mate commented that my putting had improved lots, and I have really noticed this myself as when I'm near the green I've gone from an attitude of 'I can get it on and then hopefully 2 put' to 'This is going in'. And this really has made a difference, I had a few one puts and only one 3 put, which is a massive improvement for me.

I'm not claiming that this could not of happened without the NGT techniques I was using, but I believe that it was a huge contributory factor in it and the NGT has really helped me with the specific areas I was struggling with.

Well done mate.. that is a cigar score.

I have similar issues.. I will have a great few holes, then blow a couple and switch to 'fun mode'. I need to stay competitive. My problem with being competitive is that I will 'try too hard' and suddenly I will start slicing my drives as I try to murder the ball into stratosphere..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Well done mate. Without question there was a good golfer trying to get out at The Grove and I'm glad hes broekn free. From a personal perspective I'm really seeing the benefits. Shot 39 points on Saturday BUT hit my first tee shot wide right and lost a ball with my second drive of the day into a water hazard. In the past I would have got down on myself (downward spiral) but made a six after a penalty drop on the par five and then bombed a drive down three. Had my only bad hole on 17 and didn't score but bounced back to finish with a birdie up the last.

When I use the techniques, I don't worry about anything technical and definitely have more freedom to swing. I played with a mate at Epsom yesterday and played front nine +3 gross. As soon as I got ahead of myself (developing a story) I started thinking about what I needed to do rather than let it happen to me. RAF and MPA forgotten and frittered some annoying shots away. Finished on 78 (+9 gross) so well under handicap but a great score rather than a good one gone.

It is taking some time to get the techniques to feel comfy in my mind especially RAF but when it works I am scoring well. I don't use everything in the ebook as its all too much to take in at the moment but the bits I've picked are working for me. Very happy with my play at the weekend and the way I thought my way round.

Keep going Hacker. There is much more to come from you and I think you'll be hitting the 80's soon with regularity. Even when it isn't going so well I'm sure the techniques are going to help a bad day be that bit better.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Played against Imurg this afternoon, nice and warm, slight breeze ,

Ive been working on my concentration, trying to visualize the type of shot, focusing on getting the feel before each shot right and trusting the execution of that shot and it seems to be paying off, apart from a couple of lapses that crept in.

Basically I scored 37 points, round of 89 (Imurg scored 29 round of 83) Tee Hee.

But that doesnt tell the whole story

I had 2 blobs, 5 pars, 1 birdie, 2 of the pars were on SI 1 & 2 so thats 3 x 4 pointers
6 net pars, 31 putts, 54% FIR

Had 3 stand out career shots, plenty of improvers and a marked decrease in the number of worseners
also improved was the number of shorties

So I know I am on the verge of a very decent score, just a bit more work to do to stop these lacks of concentration creeping in.

Finding New Golf Thinking really useful