New Golf Thinking...It's a long post

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seen scorecard on Howdidido

Has u down for Gross 96, Par 68, Thats 28 Over, and 11 Over Handicap....:confused:.......Not 5

Yes I know I shot a 96, Yes I know that's 11 over HC, but for the purposes of calculating HC, it's a 5, the two holes that I played badly was an 11 and 7 on par 4's, both results were down to me not playing sensibly and going for the career shot. I should have gone for an improver, but didn't and ended up with worsener's in both cases.

I'm taking the positives out of my round as I wrote.

Saturday is gone, that round is over and done with, time for me to move on to the next and take with me the positives from Saturday gone and use them in Saturday future.

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Good stuff mate. Sounds like you played well.

Was just wondering about other times where we might be faced with a tricky situation. I hit a cracking big draw out of the left rough with my hybrid on Saturday which I would class as a career shot. However, I never would have attempted it if there was trouble down the right side of the hole. I was wondering if the idea of a career shot might get people to be too hopeful/positive.

Yes I know I shot a 96, Yes I know that's 11 over HC, but for the purposes of calculating HC, it's a 5, the two holes that I played badly was an 11 and 7 on par 4's, both results were down to me not playing sensibly and going for the career shot. I should have gone for an improver, but didn't and ended up with worsener's in both cases.

Saturday is gone, that round is over and done with, time for me to move on to the next and take with me the positives from Saturday gone and use them in Saturday future.

I rest my case ;)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Stick at it Dave. Changing your mindset, especially as the norm is to regress when the pressure is on, isn't easy.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I rest my case ;)

I chose the word career as it was in context with this post, I could've used hero shot or any other analogy you care to think of. Ultimately it was just plain stupidity on my behalf that got me deeper into trouble.

The idea of a career shot is not something you plan to do before you take the shot, it is the result afterwards. Every shot you take has the potential to be a career shot, your par 3 tee shot that nets you a hole in one, or your 3 metal flushed perfectly that gets you a eagle on the long par 4.

You set out in MPA and you hit your ball towards the hole, that shot could be any of the 4 C, I, M or W.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Good stuff mate. Sounds like you played well.
I was wondering if the idea of a career shot might get people to be too hopeful/positive.

I don't know about, but I don't rate the shot until after I've hit it, I.e. I don't stand over the ball thinking I'm going to hit a career shot, I'm just thinking about swinging easy with the right club and hitting my target.

I went back out this afternoon and played the same nine again, pulling in 22 points this time. There were a few more shorties on the card this round, possibly because of the wind, but putt better than this morning.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Dave
I still DON'T understand how you make an 11 Over Handicap into a 5 Over Handicap......??
Im thinking you have Tried to use Stab Adj , but you have applied Incorrectly

Besides this
I still Don't get why you couldnt just say the ACTUAL score......:confused:
Or
Does this New Positive 'spin' not allow you to speak of actual scores recorded on scorecards....??

Would that be 'too negative'........?? :mmm:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Think we need to clarify the career shot aspect.

The whole purpose of MPA is to put you in the right frame of mind to potentially hit a career shot,
When you hit one, the idea is to remember everything about it and then replicate that mental image again and again and to apply that to every shot.

You need to be positive, and realistic . With the best positive thinking in the universe, I not going to drive 350 yards
But 230 down the middle is an improver for me

There is no par 5's on my course that I cannot get to the green in 3 shots
There are no par 4's on my course that I cannot get to the green in 2 or 3 with a shot.
All the par 3 greens are in range

That's MPA.
It's a tool to add to your armoury along with common sense :)

D

Deleted member 15344

Cheap jibe without having access to the facts. I asked permission on Tuesday. Do one smartarse

Used it for the first time in the stableford on Saturday. Came 5th and hit the buffer so definitely early signs of improvement. 5 x 3 putts killed the score and even if I have turned three of those into two putts would have been second. Played with Hawkeye in a pairs event today. We were great for 16 holes and I think he can see the difference in my approach and clarity.

I have no doubt a few will point to the three putts and say something glib like he makes no difference if you can't get it in the hole. My reply would be I got on some of the greens I've missed regularly, and today in particular used my MPA to produce a career shot at 14 to hit the green going between and under two big tress from 200 yards. My short game is more positive and despite the three putts my approach to putting has improved too.

Funny how the loudest voices are those who have absolutely no interest in using it. Good for the post count as you would say LP

5th in your division ?

And rather ironic that the person with 34,000 posts is going on about post counts ?!

I am reading the book currently and still searching for the "new way"

So far is just acronyms and telling someone to feel positive.

If you start to produce consistent results to actually show improvement then maybe ears would prick up a little but every time it's one thing that stops the good round.

Think positive = play better golf . I always think positive - is there any need for acronyms and is there anything new so far ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Confused with the 5 over for HC purposes ?

What do you mean ?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Dave
I still DON'T understand how you make an 11 Over Handicap into a 5 Over Handicap......??
Im thinking you have Tried to use Stab Adj , but you have applied Incorrectly

Besides this
I still Don't get why you couldnt just say the ACTUAL score......:confused:
Or
Does this New Positive 'spin' not allow you to speak of actual scores recorded on scorecards....??

Would that be 'too negative'........?? :mmm:

For handicap purposes each hole is limited to a net double bogey
He took 11 on a par 4,assuming he had a shot the handicap score is based on 7.

It's not rocket science, he had another bad hole as well

But he has positives to take away and work on :)

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
For handicap purposes each hole is limited to a net double bogey
YES I KNOW THAT

He took 11 on a par 4,assuming he had a shot the handicap score is based on 7.
YES I KNOW THAT TOO

It's not rocket science, TRUE he had another bad hole as well YEP

But he has positives to take away and work on :) AND I WISH HIM GOOD LUCK WITH THAT

I just believe Dave has not rounded down correctly, and mis-counted
The 11 a 7......not 6
The 7 a 7.......not 6

AFTER ALL, ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE PHIL........!!!!!!!!!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Well my first round after the day resulted in me shooting a gross 76 despite the fact I am a 26 handicapper. Satisfied now you pedantic doubters who are desperate to prove that it does not work!!!!!

OK, slight exaggeration;). My aim is to consistently shot in the 90s and then start to shoot in the 80s later on in the summer. And despite starting with 2 8s (ouch, damn you thinned chips and lost balls) I came home in 43 and shot in the mid 90s. Actually having a mare of a start was a good test as I just played on my own, and normally when I do that and have a mare of a hole at the start I kind of go from trying to shoot a decent score to trying to have some fun, and give up a bit. This was specifically highlighted by John as something I could and should change, so I used the technique of playing every hole as if it is matchplay and thought about the number of stableford points 'still on the table'.

And I felt this really helped me as I kept on trying to shoot a good score on holes. The other main difference I noticed was my confidence from near the green. Usually I think that it would be good if I could get on the green and get away with 2 puts. Yesterday I was focussing more on getting an up and down as minimum. And there were definitely fewer 3 puts, plus I did get up and down a couple of times.

Yes I am not arguing that I could have probably got a lot of what I did from reading other books if I had the time to read them all, and as John has stated I will not start doing things on the course that I can't do on the range so I am not magically going to be able to fade or draw perfect shots at will. But in my case I needed the impetus to chance something without having to read lots of pages, and I wanted some easy to implement practical actions for the specific 'mental areas' I needed to target. Which is what the book has given me. :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well my first round after the day resulted in me shooting a gross 76 despite the fact I am a 26 handicapper. Satisfied now you pedantic doubters who are desperate to prove that it does not work!!!!!

OK, slight exaggeration;). My aim is to consistently shot in the 90s and then start to shoot in the 80s later on in the summer. And despite starting with 2 8s (ouch, damn you thinned chips and lost balls) I came home in 43 and shot in the mid 90s. Actually having a mare of a start was a good test as I just played on my own, and normally when I do that and have a mare of a hole at the start I kind of go from trying to shoot a decent score to trying to have some fun, and give up a bit. This was specifically highlighted by John as something I could and should change, so I used the technique of playing every hole as if it is matchplay and thought about the number of stableford points 'still on the table'.

And I felt this really helped me as I kept on trying to shoot a good score on holes. The other main difference I noticed was my confidence from near the green. Usually I think that it would be good if I could get on the green and get away with 2 puts. Yesterday I was focussing more on getting an up and down as minimum. And there were definitely fewer 3 puts, plus I did get up and down a couple of times.

Yes I am not arguing that I could have probably got a lot of what I did from reading other books if I had the time to read them all, and as John has stated I will not start doing things on the course that I can't do on the range so I am not magically going to be able to fade or draw perfect shots at will. But in my case I needed the impetus to chance something without having to read lots of pages, and I wanted some easy to implement practical actions for the specific 'mental areas' I needed to target. Which is what the book has given me. :D

Some good stuff there and bounced back well from the bad start. I'm with you. It does work and it helped me. I played well on Saturday and was in a MPA all the way despite 5 x 3 putts which ultimately killed my chance of winning. Tee to green I was pretty good and starting to use the RAF as well. It can't all be done in one hit but slowly, bit by bit, the techniques are sinking in. Had a pairs event with Hawkeye yesterday. Think he saw for himself how much more positive I was even though I was mumbling to myself like a deranged soul. Every time I had a bad hole (and he baled me out) I bounced back. Career shot at 14 (although I then 3 putted - AGAIN) but did well depsite not feeling totally at one with my swing.

There are always going to be knockers on here. I'm sure you, I and the others that were there and many of those who get the book and use it will get something positive from it. Well played again. No prizes for guessing what I'm working on this week!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are there any tips in the book on how to maintain composure?

I've just learned that my PP in tomorrows medal has the surname "Sass". I won't say his first name, but it doesn't really matter as it works with any first name... Inside my grown up mind, there is the mind of a small child and I just know that I'm going to struggle to keep my composure every time I say his name...

Quite pathetic on my part really...;)

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are there any tips in the book on how to maintain composure?

I've just learned that my PP in tomorrows medal has the surname "Sass". I won't say his first name, but it doesn't really matter as it works with any first name... Inside my grown up mind, there is the mind of a small child and I just know that I'm going to struggle to keep my composure every time I say his name...

Quite pathetic on my part really...;)

Took me a moment to work that one out :D, the same inner child has me giggling away as I type.

Good Luck Blue :rofl:, just keep thinking positive and imagine his first name is Kick and I'm sure you will.

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
That really was a great read - having had various problems with chipping and driving over the years, the need for MPA resonates with me a lot.

Thanks.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheap jibe without having access to the facts. I asked permission on Tuesday. Do one smartarse

Used it for the first time in the stableford on Saturday. Came 5th and hit the buffer so definitely early signs of improvement. 5 x 3 putts killed the score and even if I have turned three of those into two putts would have been second. Played with Hawkeye in a pairs event today. We were great for 16 holes and I think he can see the difference in my approach and clarity.

I have no doubt a few will point to the three putts and say something glib like he makes no difference if you can't get it in the hole. My reply would be I got on some of the greens I've missed regularly, and today in particular used my MPA to produce a career shot at 14 to hit the green going between and under two big tress from 200 yards. My short game is more positive and despite the three putts my approach to putting has improved too.

Funny how the loudest voices are those who have absolutely no interest in using it. Good for the post count as you would say LP

:rofl:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
5th in your division ?

And rather ironic that the person with 34,000 posts is going on about post counts ?!

If you start to produce consistent results to actually show improvement then maybe ears would prick up a little but every time it's one thing that stops the good round.

Think positive = play better golf . I always think positive - is there any need for acronyms and is there anything new so far ?

How about stop searching for the chinks in the book, and let's hear how YOU go about on the golf course with your POSITIVE thinking, considering you think there is nothing new in the book?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
5th in your division ?

Just curious Liverpoolphil, have you completed the self-assessment form? We had a couple 5 HC's at the grove and their thinking HC was higher than their playing HC, so have you checked to see what yours would be? Would you share you thinking HC with us?