New Golf Thinking...It's a long post

D

Deleted member 15344

Well if you are unable to see the difference between your point and Sevs, then that is your problem

I think I explained myself quite clearly

My point was the same as Sevs and certainly wasn't what you were suggesting - but I can't help it if you read into something differently.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you're learning to play the piano do you give up if you can't play Beethoven's 5th after one lesson?

Why does everything always have to deliver instant results to be of any use?

Some of the posts on this thread are mind-boggling beyond comprehension...

Jezz
You have me all wrong

I actually know Dave.......so my interest has very little to do with this new 'mental' side of the game
TBH I couldnt give a stuff about it........!!!
Only posted on this thread as Dave had stated he was off out for a comp
Its more out of interest if his scoring is improving as this is his 1st real season as a member and has set big targets for himself, and naturally hope he gets somewhere near achieving this

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you're learning to play the piano do you give up if you can't play Beethoven's 5th after one lesson?

Why does everything always have to deliver instant results to be of any use?

Some of the posts on this thread are mind-boggling beyond comprehension...

Some people are talented that they can get it after just one lesson. Some are so talented that they don't need lessons at all, ever!!!

transparent.png
:whistle:

Last edited:
C

c1973

Well if you are unable to see the difference between your point and Sevs, then that is your problem

I think I explained myself quite clearly

Tbf to Phil, I think they both made the same point. Adding on the bit 'in previous years' slightly altered what was being said.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Jezz
You have me all wrong

I actually know Dave.......so my interest has very little to do with this new 'mental' side of the game
TBH I couldnt give a stuff about it........!!!
Only posted on this thread as Dave had stated he was off out for a comp
Its more out of interest if his scoring is improving as this is his 1st real season as a member and has set big targets for himself, and naturally hope he gets somewhere near achieving this

Fair enough - must be reading too much into your question marks! To be honest, it wasn't aimed specifically at you but rather a whole raft of posts on here that seem to imply that if 'new thinking' doesn't deliver results first time out it must be a load of bunkum

D

Deleted member 15344

That I don't know, but my hunch would be that he probably does even if only indirectly, otherwise he wouldn't be putting his name to it as well...

Ok cheers :thup:

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
What bothers me in all of this, is that valid question on clarification gets lost between the pro and the anti argument.

If you want to buy into it, but have valid questions you get tarred with the non believer brush :eek:

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
What bothers me in all of this, is that valid question on clarification gets lost between the pro and the anti argument.

If you want to buy into it, but have valid questions you get tarred with the non believer brush :eek:

Interesting... I suppose what intrigues me is that nobody bats an eyelid about the technical side of the game, but when it comes to the mental side they get very sceptical. Yet often they are the same people who bandy words like 'confidence', 'pressure' or 'choking' about without a second thought. Where do these things come from given that they are alien concepts to tehcnique? Your body and muscles certainly can't experience any of them independently so they must be coming from somewhere else, yet many refuse to believe that working on how you think about your game can have any bearing on how you play...

C

c1973

Interesting... I suppose what intrigues me is that nobody bats an eyelid about the technical side of the game, but when it comes to the mental side they get very sceptical. Yet often they are the same people who bandy words like 'confidence', 'pressure' or 'choking' about without a second thought. Where do these things come from given that they are alien concepts to tehcnique? Your body and muscles certainly can't experience any of them independently so they must be coming from somewhere else, yet many refuse to believe that working on how you think about your game can have any bearing on how you play...

For what it's worth, I'm not knocking the idea of positive thinking or whatever, only the complexity some attach to achieving this. I firmly believe it is a simple case of 'forget about the last shot, think about the next' in terms of playing golf.
For me, it really is that simple, does that make my opinion any less valid?

All this visualizing shots in 3D etc before taking your shot imo only slows you down and therefore everyone behind you. I think it's part of the problem with slow plAy in the pro game and really don't want to see it seep into the amateur game.

I really do wonder how golfers coped in the past without 'head doctors'.

D

Deleted member 15344

For what it's worth, I'm not knocking the idea of positive thinking or whatever, only the complexity some attach to achieving this. I firmly believe it is a simple case of 'forget about the last shot, think about the next' in terms of playing golf.
For me, it really is that simple, does that make my opinion any less valid?

All this visualizing shots in 3D etc before taking your shot imo only slows you down and therefore everyone behind you. I think it's part of the problem with slow plAy in the pro game and really don't want to see it seep into the amateur game.

I really do wonder how golfers coped in the past without 'head doctors'.

My feeling exactly

Positive thinking is great - I think the acronym KISS is perfect for golf - keep it simple stupid

Trying to analyse thinking in golf is hard as we all approach the game differently

But reading the book appears to overthink things and just bring far too many thoughts into heads

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My feeling exactly

Positive thinking is great - I think the acronym KISS is perfect for golf - keep it simple stupid

Trying to analyse thinking in golf is hard as we all approach the game differently

But reading the book appears to overthink things and just bring far too many thoughts into heads

Phil, its clear you are fortunate enough to have a nice clear head and barely think when you play golf (yes im jealous). For those of us already stuck in the rut with overthinking it is not possible just to switch it off (its not the book creating the overthinking, its trying to address it). We get that you dont have an issue in this area, be grateful that you dont, maybe its time you left those of us who do to it, as even you must be able to see that your comments (continually asking for proof or being sceptical or asking for which pros are on board etc etc) aren't helpful to those who are trying to apply whats in the book to improve their golf

D

Deleted member 15344

Phil, its clear you are fortunate enough to have a nice clear head and barely think when you play golf (yes im jealous). For those of us already stuck in the rut with overthinking it is not possible just to switch it off (its not the book creating the overthinking, its trying to address it). We get that you dont have an issue in this area, be grateful that you dont, maybe its time you left those of us who do to it, as even you must be able to see that your comments (continually asking for proof or being sceptical or asking for which pros are on board etc etc) aren't helpful to those who are trying to apply whats in the book to improve their golf

If my comments are effecting people's thinking on a golf course then there is a bigger problem.

If people being sceptical is effecting anything then surely the thoughts are in others already - no one including myself is not telling you to not follow the persons methods we are just giving an opinion

People told me I shouldn't post an opinion on the subject without reading the book - well I bought the book and reading it and giving my opinion on what I'm reading ? If my opinion was positive to the idea would it be welcome then ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If my comments are effecting people's thinking on a golf course then there is a bigger problem.

If people being sceptical is effecting anything then surely the thoughts are in others already - no one including myself is not telling you to not follow the persons methods we are just giving an opinion

People told me I shouldn't post an opinion on the subject without reading the book - well I bought the book and reading it and giving my opinion on what I'm reading ? If my opinion was positive to the idea would it be welcome then ?

Let me make it clear, I will make up my mind solely based on my opinions of the material and my correspondence with the author that I have been grateful to have the opportunity of, not on what is posted on the forum. That said, its pretty boring to read people constantly wanting to nit pick about something (and its not just this thread, this topic or just you doing it but it is becoming endemic in the forum) and sadly that is lowering the quality of the forum and reducing the amount a lot of decent posters post

In my opinion, there is a time and a place to give an opinion and at times a lot of people want to give theirs when their really is no need whatsoever and adds nothing to the discussion that is being had but hey its a forum so they are allowed to

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Golf is no different, mentally, to any other human activity in that if you want to improve you must set yourself goals that are tightly defined but most important of all they must be realistically and pragmatic.

You don't need a book to tell you what that sentence already says..

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
So.......Howay Dave.............What did u score......??
Close to Cut......??
Play to Handicap.......??
Hit Buffer............??
Or
On join the 0.1 Club......??

And what positives are you taking forward.......??

It was a 0.1 increase, third one in four since starting Saturday comps four weeks ago and without wanting to tell a story, I let myself down on three holes, two were due to duff tee shots and bad choices for the next shot, for which I will remember and change my tactic next time in the same situation, should it arise, the third was a poor bunker shot.

I was 5 over HC or 2 over buffer.

Positives were of the other 15 holes I played them well and par'd 5 of them, my driving was 90% FIR and by clubbing up I hit some long distance belters onto the green, thus not leaving them short as I had previously.

All in all although it was a 0.1 increase, my game is coming together and I'm feeling good about the rest of the season, as I know a run of HC cuts is coming, starting with next weeks comp.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It was a 0.1 increase, third one in four since starting Saturday comps four weeks ago and without wanting to tell a story, I let myself down on three holes, two were due to duff tee shots and bad choices for the next shot, for which I will remember and change my tactic next time in the same situation, should it arise, the third was a poor bunker shot.

I was 5 over HC or 2 over buffer.

Positives were of the other 15 holes I played them well and par'd 5 of them, my driving was 90% FIR and by clubbing up I hit some long distance belters onto the green, thus not leaving them short as I had previously.

All in all although it was a 0.1 increase, my game is coming together and I'm feeling good about the rest of the season, as I know a run of HC cuts is coming, starting with next weeks comp.

Good shooting Dave.... definitely some cuts coming your way this summer!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I played in two comps this weekend since the session with John on Tuesday. With regards to instant results, there is no obvious improvement. I'm not supposed to concoct stories so will state facts..... I lost the first match, I was 4 down after 9, despite playing the nine to handicap.... In the medal yesterday, I took a 0.1, was actually fairly steady all round bar a.couple of holes, smashed an OB on 8, and a lost ball on 16. I made the mistake of not playing a provisional from the tee on 16 because I saw where it came down and thought it was safe. By the time I couldn't find it, I was just too tired to walk back up the hill to the tee - schoolboy error.

On reflection after both rounds, I missed far fewer putts short, And clubbing up put me a lot closer to the pin on 3 specific holes than I might have been if I'd taken the club I thought I should based on what I think I can hit. I use a rangefinder and know pretty much what my clubs can do, however, the extra club did give me a couple of birdies over the weekend. I didn't keep notes during the rounds but on the putting front, I know for sure that I only came short on a handful.

Getting knocked out and going up back 0.1 we're not the targets, but in both rounds I felt I played very well in parts, certainly don't recall sinking into any negative thinking, unless you count the decision not to go back and play the provisional on 16.

Time to practice a bit now before the next comps.