New Golf Thinking...It's a long post

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know someone off 7 who has a thinking handicap of 19! :whistle: how low will they be able to go thinking their way round better??

Once the 8 of us at the Grove had all done the self assessment, John wrote the numbers up on he flip chart and the GM tog got one or two, dunno if they'll be in the mag or not.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Well just been down the range and concentrated on the RAF technique (rehearse in 3D, aim and go with the flow I think) and I definitely had one of the best range sessions I have ever had. Of course I have had good ones before and it could all be coincidental as I appreciate that there probably is a subconscious push from those that went on the day to prove it works. But by doing the RAF thing, without realising at the time, I stopped getting over analytical and thinking about my swing too much and just trusting my instincts.

Biggest thing for me was hitting hybrids. Recently I have lost all confidence in them and as soon as I put one in my hand I go to pieces and produce hideous duck hooks. But today it kind of came back to me and I was hitting them a lot better.

Once again I appreciate that this is just one session at the range, the proof is out there on the course and what I did is not rocket science, indeed I am sure many others have done the same thing. But sometimes you just need that push to try things out and that is what the day and the book has given me. I'm hopefully playing a proper round on Monday where I will definitely (some positive thinking there ;)) translate it to the course, I'll let you know.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Golf handicap 5, thinking handicap 3... have I wasted my money on the book when I should be having lessons?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
1hr to go before todays thread, got new balls marked up, lucozade out the fridge, I'm in a MPA frame of mind and got my memory shots ready on playback in my head.

So I'm out to break 80 today for the first time and get the first cut of my HC for the season.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
1hr to go before todays thread, got new balls marked up, lucozade out the fridge, I'm in a MPA frame of mind and got my memory shots ready on playback in my head.

So I'm out to break 80 today for the first time and get the first cut of my HC for the season.

Play well Davey.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site

Go get em Tiger! Rarrrrrrr!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know someone off 7 who has a thinking handicap of 19! :whistle: how low will they be able to go thinking their way round better??

He also wishes he hadnt read the book before playing in the comp today too lol. Tried to run before I can walk with some of it, especially having no technical swing thoughts at all today - upshot being couldnt hit the rear end of a cow with a banjo lol, dont think Id have broken 90 if it had been a medal (and thats with 2 chip ins and a couple of other birdies in there!)

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes because with all the improvements in club technology, practise facilities, diet, hydration etc etc
Average handicaps havn't changed in 25 years

Yours might have, but average hasn't , the book covers this on page 14

Read on

Yes read that page

But there is one vital element that has been proven to keep scores the same both in the pro and amateur game and it's an element that the author either ignores or fails to mention - the ever changing face of the course , the lengthening of courses , the toughening up of courses which have happened dramatically over the past 10-20 years to combat the change in equipment etc - new courses are built to combat the improvement in technology.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Yes read that page

But there is one vital element that has been proven to keep scores the same both in the pro and amateur game and it's an element that the author either ignores or fails to mention - the ever changing face of the course , the lengthening of courses , the toughening up of courses which have happened dramatically over the past 10-20 years to combat the change in equipment etc - new courses are built to combat the improvement in technology.

Agree that for the pros and elite amateur Golfers, tees have been moved back and in new courses you sometimes see 5 sets of tees.
But I reckon that you will find that the course distance of the yellows ( where most of us play from) and the whites or medal tees havnt changed much,

Now I know that you are going to disagree and come up with loads of examples, but I suggest you ask your ground staff if the tees have changed much in the last 25 years and the majority answer will be NO

Next question please :)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Yes read that page

But the vast majority of club golfers play at courses that haven't changed for donkey's years. As a percentage of courses available, how many new ones are there? Probably less than 1%. Of the majority of established courses, how many have been toughened up "dramatically?" Probably less than 1%. The odd extra bunker and new tee, without a doubt, but dramatically...? Utter Rollox!

I played a lot of 'away' golf last year, the majority of which was on courses I've been playing for over 30yrs, and I've seen very little change to those courses. Some of the new courses I've played have big rolling USGA greens, which make putting a little more difficult...but "the ever changing face of the course?!...dramatically?!" :rofl::smirk:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well that shut him up.
Come on LP admit you are talking a load of dingos kidneys :)

No chance of that happening.

Hit it great and should have been better. No stories. Very positive mindset all the way round bar a dip coming off 15 having 3 putted and on 16 having taken 4 to get down from edge of the green. Funny thing after giving it the "must club to the back" I found it harder to commit to do on a course I knew rather than the Grove where I didn't have any idea of where I was going and what may or may not have been lurking long. It was hard to make myself do it and I'll be honest there were a couple of holes I didn't and guess what. I came up to the front and three putted.

I rarely take a practice swing these days so the full RAF is tricky. However I found myself looking down the fairway off the tee or towards the green, picking a precise target, taking a waggle, final look at the target and swinging. No room for anything technical and 9/12 FIR and 9/18 GIR would say that is making a difference. A simple change of routine that didn't feel unduly contrived.

So was it a success. 0.1 back to get the likes of LP and others moaning that of course not. I'd say the 38 putts were the culprit and think it was a rare bad day with the putter as it's usually reliable. The FIR and GIR are much improved and even when I did hit poor shots, I was able to find a MPA most of the time.

I've a relaxed social format tomorrow so can go ahead and work on the shorties, focus on MPA and RAF and try and make it more second nature. For a first attempt there was more positives than negatives to take away from the process. I need to look at dwelling on mistakes to deal with times like 15 and 16 but overall there was a definite improvement to my mindset and the ball striking reflected that

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Handicaps will never go down because every year there hundreds of new golfers coming into the game with handicaps of 24 and 36.
No matter what incremental improvement the rest of us manage, it cannot impact on an "average" calculation which is totally dominated by the handicaps of these new people

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Well Dave........
Did u break 80.........???
Did u get a cut.........???

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry for the delay Fragger

On course changes - my current course has changed 11 out of 17 holes over the last ten years to make it both longer and tougher to bring the scores back up - it has done that.

The Woburn courses are constantly changing - greens being made tougher , bunkers placed in tougher areas and again holes lengthened. - Duchess this year has been extended by just under 200 yards from the blues

And another thing that has helped keep handicaps and scores the same - CSS on courses and off course as been mentioned - all the new people playing the game being giving very high handicaps - I know that won't fit "my golf Thinking" but it is certainly more plausible than "thinking" has stopped the high handicaps changing

Oh and Homer - are you claiming some royalties from his books - it appears he is using paragraphs from your blog ? Is he giving you writing credits for that ?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Sorry for the delay Fragger

On course changes - my current course has changed 11 out of 17 holes over the last ten years to make it both longer and tougher to bring the scores back up - it has done that.

The Woburn courses are constantly changing - greens being made tougher , bunkers placed in tougher areas and again holes lengthened. - Duchess this year has been extended by just under 200 yards from the blues

And another thing that has helped keep handicaps and scores the same - CSS on courses and off course as been mentioned - all the new people playing the game being giving very high handicaps - I know that won't fit "my golf Thinking" but it is certainly more plausible than "thinking" has stopped the high handicaps changing

Oh and Homer - are you claiming some royalties from his books - it appears he is using paragraphs from your blog ? Is he giving you writing credits for that ?

That's Woburn , they have money to spend and are trying to attract big name tournaments. What tees are the blues are they the same as standard
yellow or whites? I suspect not.

I'm talking about normal courses for normal Golfers, not the privileged few

Can you prove that new Golfers are being given higher handicaps than in previous years?