New Golf Thinking...It's a long post

D

Deleted member 15344

That's Woburn , they have money to spend and are trying to attract big name tournaments. What tees are the blues are they the same as standard
yellow or whites? I suspect not.

I'm talking about normal courses for normal Golfers, not the privileged few

Can you prove that new Golfers are being given higher handicaps than in previous years?

Can you prove that "thinking" is the reason why handicaps are staying the same ?

I have just done over the last week - 25 new golfers into our club with new handicaps coming into club golf - the lowest handicap from those players - 25

And I also mentioned that my current home course have changed 11 out of 17 holes

Buckingham has extended it's course and changed it's green in recent years , Beds and County and Dunstable Downs also

The Bedford and Bedfordshire were both built with holes to combat big hitters

The a Duchess has been extended by 157 yards on the yellows - the won't play anything but club golf on the Duchess - are they not normal golfers playing there then ?

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can you prove that "thinking" is the reason why handicaps are staying the same ?

I have just done over the last week - 25 new golfers into our club with new handicaps coming into club golf - the lowest handicap from those players - 25

And I also mentioned that my current home course have changed 11 out of 17 holes

Buckingham has extended it's course and changed it's green in recent years , Beds and County and Dunstable Downs also

The a Duchess has been extended by 157 yards on the yellows - the won't play anything but club golf on the Duchess - are they not normal golfers playing there then ?

Why is scientific proof always required Phil? Are you Mulder in disguise?

D

Deleted member 15344

Why is scientific proof always required Phil? Are you Mulder in disguise?

It was in response for someone asking me for proof :thup:

When someone makes bold claims - and John O Keeffe makes a fair number of them in his book then surely for them to be taken seriously then some proof to back them up would be beneficial :thup:

Do we know if John has recruited any pros etc

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Why do you care?
You clearly are not going to use the principles in the book so why bother to keep commenting on the subject?
We know your views, you don't have to reiterate them every 3rd post....

D

Deleted member 15344

Why do you care?
You clearly are not going to use the principles in the book so why bother to keep commenting on the subject?
We know your views, you don't have to reiterate them every 3rd post....

Sorry didn't realise I couldn't comment on the book as I read it after references from everyone on here.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've read 4 chapters, to this point not much is new. New to golf maybe, but it seems to be rehashed sales training. That's not to say I won't benefit, I think I could, but I have a few questions;

Is the career shot point a little at odds with the club up point? I mean, if I aim for a career shot as implied, but I miss, the risk reward element of the game would mean that a score worsener would be more likely than a score improver.:confused:
The club up point seems to imply play the percentages.

Also how can I possibly turn a massive slice OB, or a missed 2 foot putt into a opportunity? The implication is that you control your reaction, so react positively. I can't think of a positive spin on the above.

Any clarification is appreciated.

Finally, a general point really. As mentioned the book borrows from sales specific training methods. These revolve around using lessons learned in high performance in the business environment, an understanding of this is key.

What if I'm a bin man? Or a burger flipper... Or worse, a student. I have no high performance touchstone !

That said, there seems to be lessons to be learned, you've just got to pan for those nuggets (or so I remember from sales 101)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

You never cease to amaze me, you happen to have the exact information on recent members handicaps available to back up your theory, how convenient, no doubt then,you will also be able to confirm what new members average handicaps were 5. 10 and 15 years ago. as without the comparison, your statement is worthless.

Pages 14 & 15 cover a host of technological improvements which havn't resulted in improved scoring , so why not give the thinking side a go to see if it can help.

The fact that you are so intent on dismissing it simply shows that you are not open to new ideas.

Read the book, do the self test, pick a couple of areas to work on, and see how it goes, but please do not casually dismiss something that many will find helpful

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Having bashed through the book in record time ( I will go more slowly through it again) I played in a Stableford today. I shot 30 points but felt I played better than that. On the back 9 I had a poor start and won't bore anyone with the details but what I did, and the book helped to, was to continue trying hard to score, instead of accepting a poor score and giving up.

I felt better for having read it and trying to grind out a better score than I otherwise would have!

D

Deleted member 15344

You never cease to amaze me, you happen to have the exact information on recent members handicaps available to back up your theory, how convenient, no doubt then,you will also be able to confirm what new members average handicaps were 5. 10 and 15 years ago. as without the comparison, your statement is worthless.

Pages 14 & 15 cover a host of technological improvements which havn't resulted in improved scoring , so why not give the thinking side a go to see if it can help.

The fact that you are so intent on dismissing it simply shows that you are not open to new ideas.

Read the book, do the self test, pick a couple of areas to work on, and see how it goes, but please do not casually dismiss something that many will find helpful

No but I can certainly find out and check through our records wouldn't be hard to find

And yes I believe I can dismiss theories that haven't been "proved" - it appears you are ok to dismiss my theories on the handicaps and scoring ?

I have read page 14 and 15 - it just a list at the end of the day and there are lots of stuff on the list that isn't available to all golfers ( slow motion analysis ?!? )

I have purchased the book and I am reading it - as Therod has said - there I nothing "new" that has appeared yet as seen a lot those methods appear during management training courses.

Can people not question the methods and theory ? So far the thinking is the same - less is best and enjoy and be positive

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
No but I can certainly find out and check through our records wouldn't be hard to find

And yes I believe I can dismiss theories that haven't been "proved" - it appears you are ok to dismiss my theories on the handicaps and scoring ?

I have read page 14 and 15 - it just a list at the end of the day and there are lots of stuff on the list that isn't available to all golfers ( slow motion analysis ?!? )

I have purchased the book and I am reading it - as Therod has said - there I nothing "new" that has appeared yet as seen a lot those methods appear during management training courses.

Can people not question the methods and theory ? So far the thinking is the same - less is best and enjoy and be positive

So your sweeping statement "all the new people playing the game being giving very high handicaps" is based on pure guesswork without any idea of what has happened in the past.

thank you for clarifying that for us

D

Deleted member 15344

So your sweeping statement "all the new people playing the game being giving very high handicaps" is based on pure guesswork without any idea of what has happened in the past.

thank you for clarifying that for us

My statement was based on what I have witnessed with both myself ( getting a high handicap 5 years ago ) and seeing the handicaps being given to new members at my club

Oh I believe Sev also made the same point in post #74 - I'm sure you will also take the tone towards him :thup:

So do you know which pro golfers John is currently working with ?

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
Sevs point was different to yours, his point was that newer golfers with high handicaps are always going to effect the average handicap,

where as in fact we are always being told that less people are starting golf, so actually the reduction in numbers should actually push down the average handicap.

Your point was that newer golfers are being given higher handicaps than in previous years, a point that you are unable to prove and is therefore, pure speculation

D

Deleted member 15344

Sevs point was different to yours, his point was that newer golfers with high handicaps are always going to effect the average handicap,

where as in fact we are always being told that less people are starting golf, so actually the reduction in numbers should actually push down the average handicap.

Your point was that newer golfers are being given higher handicaps than in previous years, a point that you are unable to prove and is therefore, pure speculation

off course as been mentioned - all the new people playing the game being giving very high handicaps

Above is what I have posted - seems different to what you think I'm suggesting ?:confused:

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sadly, not. That written I have got lots of positives to take from my round going forward.

So.......Howay Dave.............What did u score......??
Close to Cut......??
Play to Handicap.......??
Hit Buffer............??
Or
On join the 0.1 Club......??

And what positives are you taking forward.......??

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
So.......Howay Dave.............What did u score......??
Close to Cut......??
Play to Handicap.......??
Hit Buffer............??
Or
On join the 0.1 Club......??

And what positives are you taking forward.......??

If you're learning to play the piano do you give up if you can't play Beethoven's 5th after one lesson?

Why does everything always have to deliver instant results to be of any use?

Some of the posts on this thread are mind-boggling beyond comprehension...

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
off course as been mentioned - all the new people playing the game being giving very high handicaps

Above is what I have posted - seems different to what you think I'm suggesting ?:confused:

Well if you are unable to see the difference between your point and Sevs, then that is your problem

I think I explained myself quite clearly

D

Deleted member 15344

If you're learning to play the piano do you give up if you can't play Beethoven's 5th after one lesson?

Why does everything always have to deliver instant results to be of any use?

Some of the posts on this thread are mind-boggling beyond comprehension...

Jezz is John working with the ET or with any pros alongside Dennis Pugh ?

What is the connection with Pugh ?