Masters 2019

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
For 1 - a potential life changing win..

Using that logic, every Major should be Top 50 plus a couple of dozen hangers-on.
I'm sure we'd all be complaining in there were on my 90 players at the Open..

You have at least a dozen or more competitors (loose term) who have little or no chance to win - the past champs plus the amateurs.
That leaves ,maybe, another dozen invites over and above the top 50 - no wonder it's normally a top 50 player who wins...

Players outside the Top 50 rarely win any of the majors, even those with massive fields.

Spin it the other way and those majors have even more no hopers than the Masters. What's 'major' about that?!

90 in the Open would be an improvement to me, get the elite field out quicker and let the draw have much less of an impact

D

Deleted member 15344

The "Track" feature on the Masters site is awesome. Can see where every player on the course is, and then see a clip of every shot they hit today. You just click the shot number and it brings up a video of the shot. So good.

So is that what they were alluding to when they said every shot can be seen online ? Been searching to watch the stream on the app or red button to watch the coverage and only have the three guys on the featured group ( plus one guy warming up ) - I thought they meant could watch all the shots live.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pretty much avoided this thread as it's just degenerated into the usual pissing contest.. However, I do love the Masters, just not as much as I love the Open, the US Open and possibly the PGA..

It's a bit too sterile at times. Overly controlled and very, VERY American..

Still, I'll be watching it every night and I'm sure it'll throw up the usual excitement...

D

Deleted member 15344

Players outside the Top 50 rarely win any of the majors, even those with massive fields.

Spin it the other way and those majors have even more no hopers than the Masters. What's 'major' about that?!

90 in the Open would be an improvement to me, get the elite field out quicker and let the draw have much less of an impact

So get rid of all those qualifying events around the globe ? Make The Open more exclusive and elitist ?.

Doesn’t really make it “Open” as such - more closed to only the elite. What about the amateurs that battle through 1st Stage then final stage qualifying ? Or the guys who can’t get the World Ranking points that allow entry into the top events. Surely we should be making the sport more Open ?

It’s not just about one person who wins - there will be plenty of people who enter the Comp who will get a step up in their life - amateurs who burst onto the scene , low ranked players making a run and there are still the unknowns making a run and a few have won

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Wow surprised at that. Cant agree.

Worlds top 50 ranked players get automatic qualification. All former winners too, all recent Major champions. That's good enough in itself. Some good amateurs offered a qualification place too. If you're good enough you will be there. Smaller field is arguably better, following the Open with play from 0600 to 2100+ is too much by comparison.

Masters is the best tv golf watch there is, bar none. The course familiarity and beauty is terrific, it's like seeing an old friend, all other Majors you dont have that so harder to appreciate the shots, nothing better than settling in on Masters weekend evenings and watch the tournament pan out, perfect television. Love it.

If I was a pro winning a Green Jacket would be right up there with the Claret Jug, US Open and PGA would fall some way behind.

no one says you cant enjoy it or have to agree, i know many who love it, it's just does nothing for me. it always looks like i bit of a putting contest on TV not to mention US coverage of anything sports wise for me is hard viewing.

I much prefer playing to watching which is why i prefer the Open, as i can go and play any of those courses when every i liked, not the case with Augusta. I saw an interview once with Jack and he said he thought the masters was the easiest of the "majors" to win as he only had to beat 50 just rather than all the others it was 100 plus or words to that effect

Last edited:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Apologies if it's already been asked...
Can any of the live streams in the masters app be watched in the UK?
My tablet didn't seem happy, but it doesn't say why (comes up with a null error)

D

Deleted member 15344

Apologies if it's already been asked...
Can any of the live streams in the masters app be watched in the UK?
My tablet didn't seem happy, but it doesn't say why (comes up with a null error)

Can’t find them on the app or on the website - they are showing it on the red button so far , just the one group - Sergio , Stenson and Finau - plus watching Woods on the Range , then walking to the putting green , then walking around said putting green and now watching him make putts on the practice green

D

Deleted member 16999

Events that let more than 70 competitors into.
Still a criteria though, whichever way you dress it up!
Maybe Eddie Pepperrell is pissed off making his debut this week? Maybe it should of been 2 years ago when he was ranked 458th in the World.
I can see the argument that it shouldn’t be a Major due to its entry criteria, but it seems the only ones moaning about it are Joe Public, everything I see from the Players is the total opposite.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Can’t find them on the app or on the website - they are showing it on the red button so far , just the one group - Sergio , Stenson and Finau - plus watching Woods on the Range , then walking to the putting green , then walking around said putting green and now watching him make putts on the practice green

And you’re still watching 😉

D

Deleted member 21258

Not a dream start for Rory, hope its not a sign of things to come

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site

There's no video on the site if you're outside the US. I've just set my VPN to Atlanta and it now picks up the live stream.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
So get rid of all those qualifying events around the globe ? Make The Open more exclusive and elitist ?.

Doesn’t really make it “Open” as such - more closed to only the elite. What about the amateurs that battle through 1st Stage then final stage qualifying ? Or the guys who can’t get the World Ranking points that allow entry into the top events. Surely we should be making the sport more Open ?

It’s not just about one person who wins - there will be plenty of people who enter the Comp who will get a step up in their life - amateurs who burst onto the scene , low ranked players making a run and there are still the unknowns making a run and a few have won

I was playing Devils Advocate more than anything. I don't really think the Open should be reduced.

IMO there's a place for both Opens as majors, just as there is place for The Masters with a more limited field of the very best quality. I don't really agree with the USPGA, would rather see it replaced with a moving International major but thats just my opinion.