Man of honour... playing out of turn..

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
4th hole near Wycombe yesterday. Par for me, 5, 6 and 6 for the other three guys.

The guy who scored the 5 heads first for the 5th tee. I had never played with him before so decided not to say anything but when he's already on the tee the guy says "Anyone beating a 5?"...

"I had a 4 actually". "It's all yours then mate!"

I knew I was going to make a mess of the drive the moment I stepped on the tee! Driver thinned for 80yds runner which at least remained on the fairway...

Anyway, I know it's all in the mind but I really hate playing out of turn. Anyone else?

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In matchplay, then it's of interest, otherwise the whole obsession with playing in turn, who is furthest from the green etc just seems pointless and leads to a lot of farting about that slows up play.

If you're ready to hit, fire away is my view.

I'm sure some disagree and like to be sticklers for playing in turn. I will leave them to enjoy their 4 and 1/2 hour games.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
in strokeplay, if someone's ready to play before me then I would rather they got on with it; however if I have the honour I will be on the tee quickly anyway :whistle:

there are still to many people who don't even know who does have the honour in stableford events, and even more who are prepared to spend time trying to work it out!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
doesnt bother me either if your ready to go go! obviously providing its safe and you not holding others in your group who are actually due to play up.
Same on the tee if someone all set and then realise its not there honour no point in stopping them IMO.
although matchplay situation is a different kettle of fish as it has can have direct bearing on the match then order should be maitained

Pull

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It general knocks, medals and stablefords then fire away if ready... Only time it really needs to be followed is in matchplay where is there's some strategy involved.

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Only thing that annoys me when teeing off last, usually in a 4 ball, is finding yourself walking off down the fairway as billy no mates, 'cos the others where ready and waiting for you to hit.

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think very few stick to strict order of play rules unless in a matchplay but agree with the comment about teeing off last in a fourball and then trudging down the fairway in the wake of the other three - especially if your drive is 30 yards behind the others anyway!!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
In matchplay, then it's of interest, otherwise the whole obsession with playing in turn, who is furthest from the green etc just seems pointless and leads to a lot of farting about that slows up play.

If you're ready to hit, fire away is my view.

I'm sure some disagree and like to be sticklers for playing in turn. I will leave them to enjoy their 4 and 1/2 hour games.
snap , well said Monty

harvey4banger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Only thing that annoys me when teeing off last, usually in a 4 ball, is finding yourself walking off down the fairway as billy no mates, 'cos the others where ready and waiting for you to hit.

Generaly longer off the tee than most of my playing partners, so I dont have to stand around for ages why they fart around taking their second shots, plus it gives me time to plan my next move;)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

How long does it take you to pick up a tee peg, put a head cover on your club, bag it, and go?

If you carry, or leccy trolley, you can do the head cover and club away bit as you walk. Multi task, it's the future.

Push/pull trolleys are slow, and should be banned.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am old school and like to see it done properly all the time.
What really annoys me is the guy who has the honour farting about and delaying play.
It shows a lack of respect to your playing partners if you do not know who has the the honour.

That said, it does not bother me one bit if I have the honour and someone plays in front of me.

Out of interest does everyone know the rule for playing out of turn in matchplay?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Doesn't bother me at all walking behind the others as I'll catch up anyway as I'm hardly ever first to hit from the fairway in my group.

What does bother me is people starting to edge away from the tee while I'm about to play, especially the bloke with the squeaky trolley! :angry: