Man of honour... playing out of turn..

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
In stableford is it best gross score keeps the honour? Doesn't matter about points ?

Stableford is a points scoring game. So the one who scored the most points on the previous hole "should" tee off first. So on a par 4 if you were shotting and your mate wasn't you would have scored 3 points to his 2 although you both parred the hole, it's your turn to go even though he may have tee'd off first on the previous hole.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Stableford is a points scoring game. So the one who scored the most points on the previous hole "should" tee off first. So on a par 4 if you were shotting and your mate wasn't you would have scored 3 points to his 2 although you both parred the hole, it's your turn to go even though he may have tee'd off first on the previous hole.

Have you got a rule number for that please?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Actually Smiffy, stableford is a srokeplay competition an honour is decided by nett score. OK, I'm being a little picky as whether you use points or Nett will end up with the same order but the rules don't mention points :D

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
32.1 (as pointed out to Bob)

"Bogey, par and Stableford competitions are forms of stroke play in which play is against a fixed score at each hole. The Rules for stroke play, so far as they are not at variance with the following specific Rules, apply.
In handicap bogey, par and Stableford competitions, the competitor with the lowest net score at a hole takes the honour at the next teeing ground".

So my 4 for 3 is a net birdie compared to Bob's 4 for 2. He only parred the hole.
So it's my honour, thank you very much
:whistle:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Gives the courting couples in the trees longer to get the business done as well James.:whistle:
From the looks of the last 6 or so posts, Smiffy and BobMac are the courting couple! ;)

I agree with the comments made thus far around ready golf, outside of Matchplay games. Just get on with it. Can't agree with ShivasIrons, but that's his view and so should be respected.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cant believe what i`m reading here with so many members saying its ok to play out of turn?? Its NOT ok to play out of turn and goes against the very etiquette of the game and is very annoying for playing partners who respect the game and want to play it properly.Youve EARNED the honour to tee off first on the next hole...I wouldnt tee it up with anybody who plays out of turn......

The instances of playing out of turn I'm describing only take place between like-minded, consenting adults :eek:. I would only offer someone else to go before me if they are ready. I wouldn't ask to play out of turn myself unless offered.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
this!!

its 1 of the main reasons for slow play ! does my nut in!

Does depend on the situation. A regular friendly 4 ball it speeds things up, a drawn medal slows it down.

I'll clarify, I am not bothered by others playing out of turn as long as its in the best interests of avoiding slow play. Which in a friendly 4ball is frequently! I also don't mind playing out of turn when asked or gestured to.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slow play is not caused by the honour at the tee, its the idiots who dont pay attention to what the order is that are to blame. Whenever a group gets to the tee whoever has the honour should know and be ready, its not a difficult process to understand imo.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
No reason why sticking to the honour should slow things down on the tee. Everyone should get to the tee quickly and be ready to play. If it's your honour get there first and mark your card after you have tee'd off.

During play of a hole, then it is a case of being sensible. We play out of turn frequently to speed up play. No need for someone laying up to wait for a bigger hitter who is waiting for the green to clear. Same with people playing back to the fairway out of trees. Round the green usally go with who ever is ready to go. Again no need to wait for a player who has to walk round to the other side of the green, or who has a tricky shot and needs a bit more time to weigh it up.

D

Deleted Member 1156

As stated by most people on here, in social bounce games I don't think anyone is really too bothered about what order people tee off.

But just for reference, if any of you play in higher level events (decent scratch opens, county/national level strokeplay) then I would suggest that you play strictly in the correct order or you may you get a few sharp comments from playing partners. Some of them can be very anal about etiquette!

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
I normally find if its with people you dont know, a quick '' anyone ready to go?'' normally sorts things out! I cant remember the last time someone said 'its my honour!'' If you think its youir honour make sure you are up there ready to go! Im sick of following people faffing about particularly when the weather is like it is at the moment.
Matchplay is different - but silly faffing on the tee is a pain and slows things down