Man of honour... playing out of turn..

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
one of my mates is quite finicity about it when its his honour if you go near the tee all you hear is ermmm its my honour! even if he isnt ready lol. Same as if you step up 2nd you hear i think i beat you last hole!

Im not fussed if i tee of first or last although when i play with me dad i tend to go first as he has a tendancy to fart about getting ready.

joma1108

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unless its matchplay im not at all fussed with who's turn it is to play, in fact there are several people at my home course who play different methods
Lowest man goes first and so on, or some say that if you had the honour and lost the hole then even if you were second best you go last.

If your ready go hit thats my motto.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not that bothered by it really. I guess from a pace of play perspective it's good to 'go when ready' but then maybe in a proper comp it's good to go with whoever's got the honour.
I'll always check though before I drive off that I've got the honour. I don't mind if people jump in front of me though.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Cant believe what i`m reading here with so many members saying its ok to play out of turn?? Its NOT ok to play out of turn and goes against the very etiquette of the game and is very annoying for playing partners who respect the game and want to play it properly.Youve EARNED the honour to tee off first on the next hole...I wouldnt tee it up with anybody who plays out of turn......

Last edited:

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cant believe what i`m reading here with so many members saying its ok to play out of turn?? Its NOT ok to play out of turn and goes against the very etiquette of the game and is very annoying for playing partners who respect the game and want to play it properly.Youve EARNED the honour to tee off first on the next hole...I wouldnt tee it up with anybody who plays out of turn......

so in a friendly knock if i was faffing around at my bag having a drink etc and it was my honour. You was stood club ball and tee in hand you wouldnt go even if i said play if your ready?

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the honour is there so everybody knows what order to play in and theres no back and forth on the tee deciding who plays in what order. The person whose honour it is should know and be ready straight away though, i dont agree with people faffing about when they are up. When its my honour I usually have the club im gonna hit out and ready straight away (at my home course anyway).

When your having a knock with pals then fair enough play any order but i wouldnt ever jump on the tee when its not my honour when playing with people i dont know as good mates.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Very much depends on the circumstances as far as I'm concerned. Strictly speaking, you should ALWAYS play in the right order, especially in matchplay. If I'm playing a social round then I'm not really too fussed. If my group has lost a bit of ground on the group in front then it does kinda make sense for someone to tee off if ready until we have closed the gap up again.

But I agree with shivas, it is disrespectful to those that have played the previous hole better than you to jump in. I'd never do that if playing with someone I wasn't very friendly with.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
so in a friendly knock if i was faffing around at my bag having a drink etc and it was my honour. You was stood club ball and tee in hand you wouldnt go even if i said play if your ready?
"Faff" in your bag after youve taken your honour,is it that difficult.......

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Some of you must play with some righ numpties, very rarely do the guys I play with not know the teeing order and almost always are ready to play - the way it should be!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In matchplay, then it's of interest, otherwise the whole obsession with playing in turn, who is furthest from the green etc just seems pointless and leads to a lot of farting about that slows up play.

If you're ready to hit, fire away is my view.

I'm sure some disagree and like to be sticklers for playing in turn. I will leave them to enjoy their 4 and 1/2 hour games.

Pretty much this, in our swindle we play ready golf..... If your ready then play, but we stick to order on the greens for obvious reasons, also on the tee we always let the shorter hitters play first to keep the order moving... Unless its a par 3

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
dont care - HID always goes first even if my red tees are behind his
he goes first on fairways too - i often have to apologise for him ;)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
In 'bounce' games with mates we play gimmees, so not Rules of Golf anyway. Generally it's 'he who has honour plays first' but if someone else is ready, then they go ahead.

In competition rounds, it's strictly Rules of Golf!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I always try to play in turn but I don't like not being first, can't say why but just don't like it. Except for par 3s I've normally got my driver out of my bag when I'm walking to the tee and by the time I get there the head cover is off and I'm ready to go. Being last in a fourball is really frustrating for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Sorry but this is funny. Wouldn't play with someone if they teed it up out of turn. Come on get real. It was bitter on Saturday. Just get on with it and keep the game moving. It's only a social knock. I would be more concerned about it in a medal, stableford or matchplay but definitely wouldn't throw my toys and refuse to play with anyone socially

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I feel if your in a 4 ball thats getting chased and trying to keep up the pace of play then the man with the honour needs to make sure he is first to the tee. If the fairway/green is clear to play he needs to tee it up and get us away. He can then record scores etc from the previous hole.

We definetely play quicker when I keep the honour :)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

I'm pretty used to playing out of turn, I normally let the 3 short hitters play first :thup:

...else we're all waiting when only one of us can honestly make the 300yds!