Inflation of Greens Fees for the Top UK Courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think it was mentioned earlier about the knock on of lower prices to the next tier of clubs.
I think it can go both ways.

If top clubs go up, mid level chase that lower end. My place is due to be £120 in the summer (other than the Week of the open £££) I believe. Still less than its neighbours by some margin. I would say it’s well above mid level, but still not the sort of course that currently people have on a bucket list.

The problem now (certainly last summer after lockdown) is that distinctly average courses were charging north of £40 for a midweek twilight round. im all for paying a premium for a top course. It’s a luxury after all. People pay more for a nice car, meal etc. I am however struggling to justify £200 for a round unless I can find some good deals on local courses to make it a longer break.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it was mentioned earlier about the knock on of lower prices to the next tier of clubs.
I think it can go both ways.

If top clubs go up, mid level chase that lower end. My place is due to be £120 in the summer (other than the Week of the open £££) I believe. Still less than its neighbours by some margin. I would say it’s well above mid level, but still not the sort of course that currently people have on a bucket list.

The problem now (certainly last summer after lockdown) is that distinctly average courses were charging north of £40 for a midweek twilight round. im all for paying a premium for a top course. It’s a luxury after all. People pay more for a nice car, meal etc. I am however struggling to justify £200 for a round unless I can find some good deals on local courses to make it a longer break.

And at the same time the R and A, England golf will talk about growing the game........

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of the more ludicrous posts that I have ever read.

To compare human rights issues such as racial and sexual discrimination, slavery and others with green fees and football ticket pricing beggars belief.

A more appropriate analogy would be dress codes and green fees.

We accept that clubs are allowed to insist upon certain standards of dress to obtain access to their course and the same is true for the cost of that access.

We don't have to agree with them but as I and others have said; "Their club, their rules."

Good, at least it sticks out.

The point, which you have obviously missed, is that many bigger subjects / arguments have been overcome eben though they werent given a cat in hells chance.

Ok dress codes - I know a local top 100 course that now allows jeans. You would have been called mad if you would have pushed for that 20 years ago. Times change.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For those those on the Open rota, then is it members subsidising visitors? Presumably clubs make a reasonable income from hosting the Open and also the impact of visitors wanting to play and rates. There is an argument that if they are going to benefit from that then they should in turn be putting value back into golf for the home nations which could be in the form of reduced rates on certain days for example.

For those not on it, then I agree they can go by supply and demand rules even if that means huge green fee prices although I wonder if that is within the spirit of golf being a social sport for all.

Bang on.

Welcome to the 15O something open at *******, tickets now over £100, then come back in a few months after we have put the prices up 30% as we are the latest club to hold it.

Thank you Mr British golfer, in a long line of 150 years supporters who have made this great game what it is, which we have exported all over the world, supported by the highest attendances by British golf fans for over 150 years.

Yeah right.

Doff my cap and tug my forelock.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We are lucky in the UK to be able to play the Open rota and historic courses. In many parts of the world their top courses are Private Country Clubs and never allow any non member introduced visitors at all. They charge what the market can afford - whether you think this is value for your money is a purely personal decision. I believe that the Savoy is a historical monument and part of the fabric of London life but I think it would be foolish to ask for a discount for a night's stay because I am a UK resident.

This thread comes down to you can't use any other analogy if your in favour of discounts, but you can use any other analogy if you arent, it seems.

D

Deleted member 21258

Inflation means rock all in this context. We’re not buying milk or bread.

You are looking at a luxury, low number, restricted, 'unique' product and therefore normal inflation figure can become irrelevant, if the demand exists.

I think the clubs are learning from each other and just keep rising their prices, to see where they goto, £300+ a round is now getting closer at top clubs with some already there. then more is spent on the course, to get it in better condition, it gets listed higher in the rankings and further from the other mid clubs and so it goes on.

Muirfields full rate has gone 250 to 285 in last two years(the foursome afternoon round increased quite alot). The march shows no stopping. Amazing how high they are going.

Wonder what they will be in five years....especially when the pent up demand of tourism comes back

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
You are looking at a luxury, low number, restricted, 'unique' product and therefore normal inflation figure can become irrelevant, if the demand exists.

I think the clubs are learning from each other and just keep rising their prices, to see where they goto, £300+ a round is now getting closer at top clubs with some already there. then more is spent on the course, to get it in better condition, it gets listed higher in the rankings and further from the other mid clubs and so it goes on.

Muirfields full rate has gone 250 to 285 in last two years(an foursome afternoon round increased quite alot). The march shows no stopping. Amazing how high they are going.

Wonder what they will be in five years....especially more when the pent up demand of tourism comes back
Correct, Its straight up supply and demand. There is more than enough demand at the current pricing. Why would they go the other way if this is the case? If I was in their shoes I would be maximising the earnigs for the club and making further improvements to the course and facilities.

D

Deleted member 18588

Good, at least it sticks out.

The point, which you have obviously missed, is that many bigger subjects / arguments have been overcome eben though they werent given a cat in hells chance.

Ok dress codes - I know a local top 100 course that now allows jeans. You would have been called mad if you would have pushed for that 20 years ago. Times change.

True, but that change is primarily for the benefit of members and has no cost implications to them.

D

Deleted member 18588

Bang on.

Welcome to the 15O something open at *******, tickets now over £100, then come back in a few months after we have put the prices up 30% as we are the latest club to hold it.

Thank you Mr British golfer, in a long line of 150 years supporters who have made this great game what it is, which we have exported all over the world, supported by the highest attendances by British golf fans for over 150 years.

Yeah right.

Doff my cap and tug my forelock.
Based upon the relative standings of golf here and in the USA using your argument a case could be made for subsidising the American visitors rather than the home players.

Troon, Sandwich, Muirfield et al . I really cannot see how I or any other British golfer is owed anything by them.

D

Deleted member 18588

And at the same time the R and A, England golf will talk about growing the game........
But how exactly is going to "grow" the game if these green fees were reduced.

Newcomers aren't suddenly going to be playing Open venues so any reduction is only likely to benefit existing golfers.

sunshine

Visit site
Presumably clubs make a reasonable income from hosting the Open and also the impact of visitors wanting to play and rates. There is an argument that if they are going to benefit from that then they should in turn be putting value back into golf for the home nations which could be in the form of reduced rates on certain days for example.

For those not on it, then I agree they can go by supply and demand rules even if that means huge green fee prices although I wonder if that is within the spirit of golf being a social sport for all.

You make a good point about the R&A potentially asking hosts of the Open to give something back to golf. The idea that they have to demonstrate a legacy of the event (e.g. free coaching for kids).

I'm left scratching my head at the bit I've highlighted about golf being a sport for all. Across the world golf is viewed as an elitist sport for a wealthy minority. Maybe in Scotland it's a bit more egalitarian, but that's one small country.

D

Deleted member 21258

Correct, Its straight up supply and demand. There is more than enough demand at the current pricing. Why would they go the other way if this is the case? If I was in their shoes I would be maximising the earnigs for the club and making further improvements to the course and facilities.

Sadly have to agree, wish it wasn't true. I'm with LB and would love to think R&A or like, would help out, but if they did like Scot golf, the amounts of tee times available offered to 'locals' at lower rates would be very limited numbered, so doesn't really change alot.

If you live in the UK you will have to suck it up, that the winter time rates are the reduced fees, if you want to play there at lower rates.

Or wait for the next LQ/yours trip:)

sunshine

Visit site

Sorry, but again you make a point which is not valid.

If a private course decides to allow jeans, this is to meet the wishes of its members. It's not the result of some campaign by visiting golfers wanting to wear jeans.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Sadly have to agree, wish it wasn't true. I'm with LB and would love to think R&A or like, would help out, but if they did like Scot golf, the amounts of tee times available offered to 'locals' at lower rates would be very limited numbered, so doesn't really change alot.

If you live in the UK you will have to suck it up, that the winter time rates are the reduced fees, if you want to play there at lower rates.

Or wait for the next LQ/yours trip:)
Correct. Without these exorbitant prices, we couldn’t bring value to the masses....

D-S

Visit site
I think if our club had the opportunity to increase visitor green fees by the same % that these top clubs have over the past 20 years and maintain the same amount of visitors we certainly would have done. The additional revenue would be either reinvested in the course and club facilities or used to subsidise membership fees. If, in turn, members of other clubs complained and said there should be reductions for some from the local area I don’t think we would rush to do so.

Zig

Visit site
Lots of back and forth here about reduced fees vs member clubs rights to charge what they want. Fair enough on both. So:

The R&A are deciding which course gets the next Open Championship. The discussion could simply go: in order to benefit from the untold riches hosting the Open brings your club, we ask that you offer a reduced national rate, and GB&I rate, both a specific percentage of the full price green fee, for the next three years. Could be as few as two four balls per day.

Everyone wins...
the club from the income hosting The Open brings,
local visitors and GB&I golfers win - they get to take part in the 'heritage' of the competition, playing at a place they've probably watched their heroes play,
the R&A win - their already awesome 'product' further promotes accessibility into some of our greatest/most storied golf courses.

For those outside of the Open rota - the Kingsbarns of this world, charge what you like. And if ever you want to be on the rota, then the rules above apply.

What's not to like?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Lots of back and forth here about reduced fees vs member clubs rights to charge what they want. Fair enough on both. So:

The R&A are deciding which course gets the next Open Championship. The discussion could simply go: in order to benefit from the untold riches hosting the Open brings your club, we ask that you offer a reduced national rate, and GB&I rate, both a specific percentage of the full price green fee, for the next three years. Could be as few as two four balls per day.

Everyone wins...
the club from the income hosting The Open brings,
local visitors and GB&I golfers win - they get to take part in the 'heritage' of the competition, playing at a place they've probably watched their heroes play,
the R&A win - their already awesome 'product' further promotes accessibility into some of our greatest/most storied golf courses.

For those outside of the Open rota - the Kingsbarns of this world, charge what you like. And if ever you want to be on the rota, then the rules above apply.

What's not to like?
Needs a petition IMO :rolleyes: