Inflation of Greens Fees for the Top UK Courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

sunshine

Visit site
I do hate to imagine the money that the likes of Muirfield is making even on limited tee times(old courses, where the course was built years ago and millions haven't been spent recently via borrowed funds). I know from another open venue that their profits and green fees are up alot over that period, eye watering increases.

Hence why I say I think from a business sense that those kind of courses the green fees could probably be 25-40% lower from a business point of view. But as people are willing to pay it, why reduce.......

Agree. I expect these courses own the land and clubhouse outright too... mortgage probably paid off 100 years ago.

But, as a private members club I assume the increases in green fees are passed on in the form of reduced membership subs. Membership at an Open venue is probably an incredible bargain

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Agree. I expect these courses own the land and clubhouse outright too... mortgage probably paid off 100 years ago.

But, as a private members club I assume the increases in green fees are passed on in the form of reduced membership subs. Membership at an Open venue is probably an incredible bargain
Open venue clubs would also employ a fair few greenstaff and have lots of equipment, so the running costs would be quite high i'd imagine, we are not an open venue but do have 15 greenstaff wages alone are eye watering

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I believe Muirfield is about £1200, well it was a couple of years ago.

D

Deleted member 3432

Open venue clubs would also employ a fair few greenstaff and have lots of equipment, so the running costs would be quite high i'd imagine, we are not an open venue but do have 15 greenstaff wages alone are eye watering

15 greenstaff :eek:

We have 4 full time and a couple of part timers during summer.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
A thought for those who want the green fees cut; how will that affect your club? If all the prestige clubs halved their green fees making them more accessible to the green fee payers, how many would go there rather than the clubs in the bracket just below; and what do the clubs in the bracket just below do to recover their lost income; and how does that affect those just below them?

Whilst I appreciate & understand the desire for the cheaper green fees, there is potentially a knock on effect that could affect the clubs lower down the pecking order, and potentially your subs.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
15 greenstaff :eek:

We have 4 full time and a couple of part timers during summer.
they took on a couple of extra ones end of last year for the Am Championship. 5 appear to be doing nothing but divot filling, we have been on mats since Nov, trouble is bad weather keeps washing it away, i'd think they would have worked out to not bother again now till end of march:rolleyes:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am all for employing staff to look after your course but that many GK staff is way over the top.

Dunbar has 7 or 8 for 1 course.
Gullane has 25 - 30 for 3 courses.
Royal Troon had 13 staff for 2 courses when I spoke to one of them about 5 years ago.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Rumour always was that the cost of running everything at Muirfield was split between the membership and that was what they paid each year, probably just bollocks though ?
I wouldn't be surprised, quite a few exclusive clubs run on that basis.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I am all for employing staff to look after your course but that many GK staff is way over the top.

Dunbar has 7 or 8 for 1 course.
Gullane has 25 - 30 for 3 courses.
Royal Troon had 13 staff for 2 courses when I spoke to one of them about 5 years ago.

Local place has around 20 guys to look after the course and about same again for maintaining off-course grass/plant areas etc (wages for manual labour are much lower here though)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Rumour always was that the cost of running everything at Muirfield was split between the membership and that was what they paid each year, probably just bollocks though ?

Yes it is. I spoke to an older chap and his son who were both members up at Boat of Garten 2 years ago.
He told me £1200 and £800 for seniors.

No doubt almost impossible to gain membership.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think most POV have been said on this subject now, but for the people who said that it would be "impossible" for some of the clubs to agree to a GB & I or national rate, consider what the premiership clubs did for away fans a few years ago.

After a few years "campaigning" the fans finally got the premiership clubs as a whole to introduce the "twenty is plenty" rate for away fans. This was always mooted as turkeys voting for Xmas, but it worked.

£150 is plenty?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think most POV have been said on this subject now, but for the people who said that it would be "impossible" for some of the clubs to agree to a GB & I or national rate, consider what the premiership clubs did for away fans a few years ago.

After a few years "campaigning" the fans finally got the premiership clubs as a whole to introduce the "twenty is plenty" rate for away fans. This was always mooted as turkeys voting for Xmas, but it worked.

£150 is plenty?
i'd agree for the open venues to have a deal for UK based golfers, even if it were a limited number of times per week at least it would give some a chance to play

D

Deleted member 18588

£150 is plenty?
You can't compare visiting golfers with football fans.

The latter are committed to one team and if they can't afford to watch their team, either at home or away, they will not go to watch one of their rivals.

Therefore it is not truly a market.

Golfers are, in that respect, different. If they can't afford say Muirfield then they will often compromise and visit Gullane for example.

If I was a member of one of the clubs charging these very high fees I would not want to see the green fee reduced if it was going to result in a fall in the club's income as the members would be those expected to cover that shortfall.

Also if the reduction was to lead to an increase in visitors I would not be happy if that then reduced my access to start times.

If the Club felt that they needed to greatly increase the number of visitors then the Committee will have a tough task in selling that to their members.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site

£150 is plenty?
Fair point. I guess the main difference is that 90% of Premier League clubs are highly unlikely to encounter any kind of financial problems, anytime soon. Even for top golf clubs, this current situation is going to bite them.

D

Deleted member 17920

£150 is plenty?

I dont think you can compare a football club with a golf club as most top top courses are owned by members and why would they want to discount something that they can sell for full price, they are not interested in any UK loyalty or they would be doing that already.

Well I guess you will see how much they want to lower the fees as it looks like we wont have any american visitors again for the most part of this season so lets see how the big hitters adjust the green fees.

Would be interesting to see what and if any deals are on the table.