Inflation of Greens Fees for the Top UK Courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25172

According to a recent report by the BBC the Trump golf courses in Scotland are both loss makers.

I believe a similar situation is developing with the American courses.

Turnberry has been making a loss from day 1 of his ownership. Total losses of over £40 million. A whole episode around it on the McKellar podcast that is worth a listen.

sunshine

Visit site
I think Trump Aberdeen has made a huge loss every year it has been open.
I bet plenty others are not making money even before 2020.

I assume the owners expected it to make a loss for a good few years after opening. Takes time to build awareness and reputation, although by now they were probably hoping for break even at least. On the other hand, building a new course up in Aberdeen was always more of a vanity project to add prestige to the brand rather than generate profit.

D

Deleted member 18588

Eh? You asked how they were still open if making a loss. Billionaire owners can absorb losses.
Only whilst the Banks continue to support him.

One side effect of losing the election is that his leading lender is alleged to be reconsidering their position.

redbrownie

Visit site
The cost to play the top courses is absolutely shocking tbh. I was lucky enough to get a tee time on the Old Course in the summer (probably thanks only to COVID, bizarrely) and I did begrudgingly pay the fee just for the experience.

Can’t see myself paying that kind of money for a round of golf ever again.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Lots of golf clubs do cut rate for locals - St Andrews, Carnoustie amongst them - I think his point is that they are doing cut price for tourists from anywhere in Britain too
Local rates seem to be far more common in Scotland and Ireland than they are in England though. Not sure about Wales.

D-S

Visit site
The County card scheme is a great ‘rates for locals‘ scheme. We always use this rate for away days and overnighters. If we paid the rack rate (the only one available for overseas visitors) I am sure we would do far fewer.