high Handicappers in CLub Champs Nett

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did. And if I hadn't been an idiot (as opposed to playing crud golf) on 15th and 18th holes on second round (I chucked 5 shots away over these two holes) I would myself had been in second place nett.

Remember my point is not really about this specific situation - it is about handicap limits and not cutting between rounds in 36 hole (or more) competitions. Combine no limit and no cut and you could have the scenario which the high handicapper completely flukes a miracle round and is a uncatchable winning situation after the first 18holes. Of course as it is a 'fluke' round you can argue that maybe a cut for the second round would be harsh. just posing the scenario.

Pointing this out to you for the 2nd time. There is no such thing as winning a multiple round competition after Round 1. You can always be caught e.g. NR on 1 hole and he's out.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So where does this 88 and above come from?

The way I'm reading it, 88 just happened to be the score that made the cut in the gross comp.

Of the top 50 nett, 8 were outside 88 gross so 58 played the second round. The other 42 best nett scores already made the cut through their gross score.

Apologies if that's not what you meant.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
thank you for the information you give
This really helped me
smiley-emoticon.gif

The way I'm reading it, 88 just happened to be the score that made the cut in the gross comp.

Of the top 50 nett, 8 were outside 88 gross so 58 played the second round. The other 42 best nett scores already made the cut through their gross score.

That is how I read it.

At my club our club champs is only run over 18holes and it is run with both scratch and nett winners getting their name on the board .it is the only board comp I have won ,I shot a gross 78 off of 16 .

As for being cut between rounds of a 36 hole comp ,,well far too many years ago than I care to remember I shot a gross 80 whilst off 22 nett 58 .I was cut five shots before starting my second round.
So off 17 I shot a gross 87 for a two round total of nett 128.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

yes - that's correct

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have ours based on nett to make the cut (top 60 and tie get in) and while players go out in handicap order for round one (lowest out first) we go out in reverse order for the second with lowest net going out last. We had a guy a while back shoot something low (net 66 or -4 which is low at our place for a medal) but melted in the second round.

I think it's important for the club to have a net event running alongside the gross one to ensure we attract as big a field as we can every year but it should never take over from the gross as the main event. The best two gross scores should always be club champion and recognised as such

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hold the phone...!!!

Are you saying that, not only was your Nett Champion 12 but said Nett Champion is also a....Girl!!!

My God, how did this happen ?
There will be marches of mobs with pitchforks and torches,, much wailing and knashing of teeth!!
Someone needs to be burned at the stake!!!

Actually, I quite like the idea of a 12 year old Girl beating all and sundry in a nett comp..!!
Quality stuff

haha no crossed wires Ian. Mens nett was won by a 12 year old, my mates mrs (and my pairs partner) won the ladies nett (both played on same day for first time this yr)

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I see the argument both ways but bottom line for me is that high handicaps have more statistical variance and limits are there to try to eliminate that variance making a mockery of a competition, especially an important one. I don't think it's unreasonable for such a limit to be imposed on a couple of comps out of a whole season.

Yes... and the statistics clearly show that over a period of time that variance is far more likely to be on the side of a high score rather than a low. I would consider it exceptional scoring if a 28 handicapper shot two consecutive net scores of 3 under and level.