high Handicappers in CLub Champs Nett

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So the cut for the club championships is based on net and there isn't one based on gross ?!

Yes I believe so - as how else would our 28 handicapper shooting 25 over par get into second round? I must check as it does seem a good way of wiping out a lot of the low handicappers who might in 2nd round challenge for a 'place' in the gross - the actual Club Championship. I believe the cut was at nett 76 (4 over)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Yes I believe so - as how else would our 28 handicapper shooting 25 over par get into second round? I must check as it does seem a good way of wiping out a lot of the low handicappers who might in 2nd round challenge for a 'place' in the gross - the actual Club Championship. I believe the cut was at nett 76 (4 over)

Well that's stupid also, they should be separate, its not like the field is that big for the gross club champs so they should have there own cut figure and the nett players have theirs to make up a reduced field.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's quite simple

You have a cut for the top 25 gross and the. A cut for the top 25 net who aren't in the gross

If you have a nett only cut of 4 over and the gross leader was a plus 1 HC with a gross 76 then he has just been cut from the comp ?!

Utterly daft

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well that's stupid also, they should be separate, its not like the field is that big for the gross club champs so they should have there own cut figure and the nett players have theirs to make up a reduced field.

This was the first year we've tried this format. I rather liked it (maybe my nett 4 under in first round helped in that). We've had loads of problems with other formats in previous years - this is first year we've applied a cut.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It's quite simple

You have a cut for the top 25 gross and the. A cut for the top 25 net who aren't in the gross

If you have a nett only cut of 4 over and the gross leader was a plus 1 HC with a gross 76 then he has just been cut from the comp ?!

Utterly daft

yes - it does seem daft. I will check but I'm 99% sure we didn't have two separate cuts as you suggest - which seems a good alternative.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Stupidity at its finest

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
yes - it does seem daft. I will check but I'm 99% sure we didn't have two separate cuts as you suggest - which seems a good alternative.

The cut took the top 50 gross (88) then added the players in the top 50 nett that had higher than 88 gross (which added 8 more to the second day field)

So I didn't understand how the cut was made -0 and neither did the guy who advised me originally :)

Much more sensible what we did (couldn't fail to be)

Last edited:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
If handicap is an issue what about age? Our nett champion this weekend was a 12 year old! Personally think its great but not a unanimous view thats for sure!

The guy who shot 68/67 nett? What a great story. I take it, it went down badly? What is his handicap?

Great result for Ali!!! Super cool!

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
www.johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
I couldn't even take a guess as to who won the nett Club Championship at my club last year - it's only the gross Club Champion that counts and that will be determined next Sunday over 36 holes of medal strokeplay, with a handicap limit of 9 to qualify.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The cut took the top 50 gross (88) then added the players in the top 50 nett that had higher than 88 gross (which added 8 more to the second day field)

So I didn't understand how the cut was made -0 and neither did the guy who advised me originally :)

Much more sensible what we did (couldn't fail to be)

That make no sense whatsoever.

Top 50 net who had higher than 88 gross?

What if i had 87 gross less 18? Did I miss out despite being under par?

D

Deleted member 15344

I suspect it's how most clubs do it

Top 30 gross for example then the top 30
Net who haven't already qualified via the gross

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The guy who shot 68/67 nett? What a great story. I take it, it went down badly? What is his handicap?

Great result for Ali!!! Super cool!

Didnt go down that badly but were a few moans about it certainly. I thought it was wonderful personally. Hes down to 15 now!

Yup chuffed to bits for Ali, especially after she had to miss it last year because of her car crash

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

No - we took the top 50 gross then looking at the top 50 nett they took all who didn't get in through their gross score. So if you were not in the top 50 gross but were in the top 50 nett - you got into second round.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was our club championship last weekend, played over 36 holes, 18 on Saturday with the top 36 qualifying for Sunday. Last years champ had a mare on Saturday shooting +12 but was level par for Sunday. Winning his 6th consectutive champion title by 3 shots. I qualified but was a long way off

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Surely you can have a Scratch Champion (who will be the Club Champion) and a Handicap Champion in the same competition! The latter will win a prize, but won't be THE Club Champion.

I don't know any club in East Lothian that has a HC club champion......most clubs I know call that summer singles.

A true club champion is just that, the guy who shoots the lowest score or beats the best players off scratch. Most clubs here have Q rounds then match play to a finals day.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've not read 8 pages of posts, but to reply to the OP, the Club Champs is for everyone, irrespective of handicap. Everyone who pays their fees is an equal member.

There should be two prizes, the "Club Champion" , who is the gross winner, and the Club Nett Champion, self explanatory.

The handicap limit may be subject to discussion, but the amateur game is played off handicap with all the vagaries that go with that. It'll never be a perfect system.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our Club Championship is a scratch medal comp played over 2 rounds, Saturday and Sunday. You go out in the order you finish on Saturday (ie. If your leading you go out last on the Sunday) lowest gross wins. Anyone can enter the competition if you want to play 2 qualifiers.

We then have a 36 hole 'handicap trophy' which is a nett competition played in 1 day.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Didnt go down that badly but were a few moans about it certainly. I thought it was wonderful personally. Hes down to 15 now!

Yup chuffed to bits for Ali, especially after she had to miss it last year because of her car crash

Hold the phone...!!!

Are you saying that, not only was your Nett Champion 12 but said Nett Champion is also a....Girl!!!

My God, how did this happen ?
There will be marches of mobs with pitchforks and torches,, much wailing and knashing of teeth!!
Someone needs to be burned at the stake!!!

Actually, I quite like the idea of a 12 year old Girl beating all and sundry in a nett comp..!!
Quality stuff

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So you actually beat the 28 handicapper both nett and gross on the first day?

I did. And if I hadn't been an idiot (as opposed to playing crud golf) on 15th and 18th holes on second round (I chucked 5 shots away over these two holes) I would myself had been in second place nett.

Remember my point is not really about this specific situation - it is about handicap limits and not cutting between rounds in 36 hole (or more) competitions. Combine no limit and no cut and you could have the scenario which the high handicapper completely flukes a miracle round and is a uncatchable winning situation after the first 18holes. Of course as it is a 'fluke' round you can argue that maybe a cut for the second round would be harsh. just posing the scenario.