Handicaps- "Equal" Chance or Winning, Regardless of Ability?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Are these Index values or Course Handicap?
The 9.9 and 22.7 are our respective indexes. The 10 and 24 are our respective playing handicaps off the white tees at our club, which has the following values:
Par 71
Course rating 70.6
Bogey rating 92.9
Slope rating 120

If anyone wants to explain all of that feel free, but the end result of him having 14 shots over me instead of the 9 he has today seems barmy to me.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
So your 9.9 should lead to a course handicap of 10.5 (9.9 x 120/113), and a playing handicap of 10 (10.5 x 0.95).

His 22.7 should lead to a course handicap of 24.1 and a playing handicap of 23 (24.1 x 0.95 = 22.9).

The HIs reflect recent play and his recent play over the last 20 rounds must have been not that great. Depending where in that sequence his better or worse rounds were, they will fall out of the 20 and his handicap might change faster than yours.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have won some board competitions, I was an improving golfer. But back in the day you could be cut under rule38(?) and that happened twice to me, then I got two exceptional cuts when I was at Ellesborough... they didn’t stop me winning, I still was scoring better than the handicap they dropped me to .. in the end it’s the handicap system and how reactive it is. The congu system, I would say was slow going down and slow going up if you were really suffering but that could be mitigated by dropping out of a competition handicap and back to a 3 card submission .
I really don’t know what the WHS will do, I suspect it won’t address this and it will still be the case, an improving golfer or one given a falsely high handicap will win more.. Does that bother me? Nah not really, I will work on my game and go out there and try my hardest and will be content if I meet my expectations, irrespective of what gets put in the pro shop or written on a board.

Swango1980

Visit site
The 9.9 and 22.7 are our respective indexes. The 10 and 24 are our respective playing handicaps off the white tees at our club, which has the following values:
Par 71
Course rating 70.6
Bogey rating 92.9
Slope rating 120

If anyone wants to explain all of that feel free, but the end result of him having 14 shots over me instead of the 9 he has today seems barmy to me.
When comparing individual golfers, you will get loads of examples of this. Generally, at my club with Slope 133, a player in your Congu handicap range goes up 0.7 (Course Handicap), a player in your friends Congu handicap range goes up 2.5. That is after analysing all players at my club who have played at least 20 rounds for their WHS record. Mind you, I'm guessing at your club with a lower slope, the general difference may be less (as your slope is closer to the standard 113)

Sadly, that explanation doesn't help you beat your mate in a match

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When comparing individual golfers, you will get loads of examples of this. Generally, at my club with Slope 133, a player in your Congu handicap range goes up 0.7 (Course Handicap), a player in your friends Congu handicap range goes up 2.5. That is after analysing all players at my club who have played at least 20 rounds for their WHS record. Mind you, I'm guessing at your club with a lower slope, the general difference may be less (as your slope is closer to the standard 113)

Sadly, that explanation doesn't help you beat your mate in a match
He wouldn’t bother playing him ... the shots gained are too great and all the adding and taking away on the scorecard would require a calculator.