54 Handicappers - Scourge or Scarcity ?

Swango1980

Visit site
Don

Don’t know what course Swango plays at but irrespective of the slopes of both courses I would bet if I played at his course I would score better.
Not so sure. At old course (slope 133), hou miss a fairway and you are either in a hedge, or jungle. Worst course for being offline. Also 3 par 4's 440 to 460 yards, 2 of which require a 220 carry off tee over water, otherwise not getting on in 2. Also a 580 yard par 5 up hill.

New course, slope 141, trees everywhere, very tight. Better course maintenance, so hopefully more likely to find a ball if you miss a fairway, but still chipping out sideways unless you are Phil Mickleson.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not so sure. At old course (slope 133), hou miss a fairway and you are either in a hedge, or jungle. Worst course for being offline. Also 3 par 4's 440 to 460 yards, 2 of which require a 220 carry off tee over water, otherwise not getting on in 2. Also a 580 yard par 5 up hill.

New course, slope 141, trees everywhere, very tight. Better course maintenance, so hopefully more likely to find a ball if you miss a fairway, but still chipping out sideways unless you are Phil Mickleson.
A lot of am golfers think they are Phil that’s were the 7/8s on holes come from.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Guy who beat me was off about 11 or 12 I think when he really should have been off around 7 or 8, he won the winter pairs 2 years in a row, one of these folk who have won a few matchplay comps but can't seem to do it in medals apparently

Perfectly possible. Medal play calls for consistency. Someone can knock off several,pars in a row but then goes AWOL ( badly) on one or two holes and there goes his medal round.
But in matchplay he only loses a hole. Losing a hole by one shot is no different from losing it by being in a bush and water .
And then he could still win a match
Doesn't mean his handicap is wrong.?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't know about 54 handicappers but those that get 2 shots on a 170 yard par should be taken out and shot........

Where I play the SIs are based upon difficulty using accrued medal data we have 4 par 3s 3 of them are (yellows)
143 yards SI 5
139 yards SI 7
217 yards SI 3

Lot of players getting 2 or more strokes on those par 3s

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone requiring 2 shots per hole is playing off the wrong tees.

Reminds me of those sketches with John Cleese, Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett. I put you in the Ronnie Barker role looking down on anyone with a handicap higher than yours, while totally oblivious to being looked down upon by anyone with a handicap lower than yours. Smugness personified.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Reminds me of those sketches with John Cleese, Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett. I put you in the Ronnie Barker role looking down on anyone with a handicap higher than yours, while totally oblivious to being looked down upon by anyone with a handicap lower than yours. Smugness personified.

If you say so! But my handicap is a long way from something to feel smug about.