Does your club require a minimum number of Acceptable Scores before winning prizes in a Competition.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Or that the WHS has given multiple player higher handicaps than there ability and are now cleaning up in comps

Many clubs are bringing in limits which shows the lack of confidence within the handicap system
We had a discussion about this ( unofficial) in clubhouse.
The general feeling about WHS was poor.
They feel the scoring has got better by about four strokes .
The general feeling was they need to increase their caps by four shots to be competitive.
So instead of striving to get down most members think they need to go up to compete, that’s sad.

WHS isn’t working as it should imo ,

D-S

Visit site
As far as I recall. in the early communications re WHS it was mentioned when we transitioned from UHS to WHS that low handicappers were likely to go down (vs their UHS number) and higher handicappers, who are more erratic would likely go up. This seems to have happened, for example we have far more plus handicappers than ever before.
Combine this with the slope rating (averaging around 125 I believe) increasing shots received by around 10% at most courses (who are around this slope) which of course widens the gap between low and higher handicapper, we shouldn’t really be surprised that higher handicappers appear to have been winning more.
We all thought, or were led to believe, that things would even out once the system and the transition had settled down. We are approaching the 2 year anniversary of the transition and it would be good to know whether this feeling is borne out by the facts or merely anecdotal. Perhaps some analysis will be done?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just had an email from the comp committee stating from next year you must have 5 qualifying scores in comps in previous 6 months to play in the board/Cup comps. (And have 20 scores on your record)
That's 10 comps per year, lots of people can't play in winter
Personally I'd not bother with any if that was the requirement.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
That's 10 comps per year, lots of people can't play in winter
Personally I'd not bother with any if that was the requirement.

Yeah, less than one round a month. :rolleyes: We have 2 comps a week, every week. We're in South Wales, not Finland, so winter is less of an issue.

If you can't manage 10 comps in a year, you're better off being a nomad.

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yeah, less than one round a month. :rolleyes: We have 2 comps a week, every week. We're in South Wales, not Finland, so winter is less of an issue.

YOU have 2 comps per week. Many clubs don't.
Pal of mine is a postie. Works every Saturday. All our weekend comps are a Saturday, one a month apart from a short spell with the odd extras for champ qualifying. He can't play in those.

Some Thursday ones over the summer. He can't play in those as he walks about 18 km in his job and can't face playing a medal after that.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Yes, some thing like 10 sounds right. Drop one or two behind, play a coupke to get yourself back on board.

If you want to play in competitions, maintain a handicap based on competitions.
If you only want a handicap for benchmarkimg or personal goals, or friendly games, then have a handicap based on playing those.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree. Clubs with very few comps wouldn't be able to operate our rule, and why would they? But they could operate something that meets their needs.
TBH my club does not seem that bothered about comps and neither do the members.

I wonder if this is a by product of WHS?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Higher handicappers, especially those who are improving I would have thought.
Thanks for your thoughts but I was asking the poster who categorically stated it was skewed towards certain handicap groups, I was hoping for an evidence or fact based reply.
YOU have 2 comps per week. Many clubs don't.
Pal of mine is a postie. Works every Saturday. All our weekend comps are a Saturday, one a month apart from a short spell with the odd extras for champ qualifying. He can't play in those.

Some Thursday ones over the summer. He can't play in those as he walks about 18 km in his job and can't face playing a medal after that.
From what you’re saying your postie pal barely has any competitions to play in, how does he maintain his handicap? General Play? If I’ve understood it correctly the club only runs one weekend competition per month and always on a Saturday? Doesn’t strike me as being a particularly competitive environment. Each to their own though.
Edit - just seen your post above - q’s answered.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thankfully our club doesn’t discriminate against any particular HI, instead we use divisions, prizes for different HIs and find ways to encourage and make things work within our comps.
Who wins the medal/comp?
We have divisions for the sweep but just 1 medal winner.

D

Deleted member 3432

Thanks, but saving_par says it is. Should I believe him or you?

8 handicap is the lowest to win a comp at ours this season, 2 comps a week, 3 if you include seniors and only 2 single figure winners.

Plenty of 20 plus indexes winning getting 24/25 or shots or more.

A positive this year I wouldn't have to beat the course record every time out just to contend like last season , more like every other week ?

Years past I always thought my very best golf was good enough to be in with a shout, no longer the case.

Playing off 3 for information.