Does your club require a minimum number of Acceptable Scores before winning prizes in a Competition.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been watching a team of ladies who seem to win opens nearly every time they play in them around here , they are playing a few comps at their home club but their last 20 scores are spread over 3 years so the average of the best 8 is not really representative of how they are currently playing

NearHull

Visit site
I have been watching a team of ladies who seem to win opens nearly every time they play in them around here , they are playing a few comps at their home club but their last 20 scores are spread over 3 years so the average of the best 8 is not really representative of how they are currently playing[/QUOTE]

i think that is the issue really.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I have been watching a team of ladies who seem to win opens nearly every time they play in them around here , they are playing a few comps at their home club but their last 20 scores are spread over 3 years so the average of the best 8 is not really representative of how they are currently playing

Plenty of those about. Sadly

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Same in mixed. Couple this thread is about are still doing it this year :mad: https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/is-this-a-record.109745

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think we all knew this would happen.
The system is good if used properly,but sadly it’s very easy to manipulate.
A small minority are ruining it for the rest of us.
I have noticed some opens around the NW are half empty, cost of living maybe.
But would wager handicap cheating is a main cause.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think we all knew this would happen.
The system is good if used properly,but sadly it’s very easy to manipulate.
A small minority are ruining it for the rest of us.
I have noticed some opens around the NW are half empty, cost of living maybe.
But would wager handicap cheating is a main cause.

Same when you only had to have a C handicap though surely?

I am amazed that some clubs publish the prize pots in advance.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same when you only had to have a C handicap though surely?

I am amazed that some clubs publish the prize pots in advance.
Not really imo you could only go up .1 ,now you can go up or down several shots in just a month.
Prizes should be abolished imo.
Play for the trophy and free entry next year.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We had a player shoot a nett 57 of 15 handicap in the first round of our senior championship. As I expected I got a few notes questioning whether the Handicap Committee were doing there job and whether this person was manipulating their handicap.

A quick look at his playing record revealed 168 rounds since WHS was introduced, the vast majority being competitive rounds. His playing record consisted of rounds played since May 2022 - all were competitive. He hadn't shot a round this good since WHS was introduced, in fact it was 10 shots better than his previous best.

He got cut by 3.1 shots, a 2 shot ES adjustment and a 1.1 reduction in his HI as he pushed out another good score.

Just occasionally you have to say - "well done, that was a hell of a round" and not assume he is a cheat.

PS he shot 95 2 days later in the next competition.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just had an email from the comp committee stating from next year you must have 5 qualifying scores in comps in previous 6 months to play in the board/Cup comps. (And have 20 scores on your record)

Not very inclusive for new members/golfers that.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just had an email from the comp committee stating from next year you must have 5 qualifying scores in comps in previous 6 months to play in the board/Cup comps. (And have 20 scores on your record)
Good, I wish my club would do the same.
20 scores on your record is basically the requirement to have a fully developed WHS handicap, nothing wrong with that. 5 comps in the previous 6 months for the clubs major / prestigious comps, no problem with that, if you are a competitive golfer it shouldn’t bother you. Is there a proviso that if you don’t meet the requirements, you can play, but not win a prize, that way the comp round can count towards your requirements for future events?

D

Deleted member 3432

All this just sounds like clubs/players don't believe WHS is working.

Either than or jealousy to 'non regular' golfers winning.

D

Deleted member 15344

All this just sounds like clubs/players don't believe WHS is working.

Either than or jealousy to 'non regular' golfers winning.

Or that the WHS has given multiple player higher handicaps than there ability and are now cleaning up in comps

Many clubs are bringing in limits which shows the lack of confidence within the handicap system

D

Deleted member 3432

Or that the WHS has given multiple player higher handicaps than there ability and are now cleaning up in comps

Many clubs are bringing in limits which shows the lack of confidence within the handicap system

I don't disagree but by putting limits on number of comps or cards submitted isn't going to fix anything as the system is skewed towards certain handicap groups.