high Handicappers in CLub Champs Nett

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes im still confused why he didn't get cut after the first round.

We had our club champs this weekend and one of the guys went from 15 to 16 for the second round so does that mean it is increases only and no cuts? but as you mentioned in a previous post the cuts can happen after the 2nd round only?

Most club champs are counted as the same comp in regards two rounds - if its a 1st and 2nd round then most comp rules dictate that you must play of the same HC in both rounds

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Yes im still confused why he didn't get cut after the first round.

We had our club champs this weekend and one of the guys went from 15 to 16 for the second round so does that mean it is increases only and no cuts? but as you mentioned in a previous post the cuts can happen after the 2nd round only?

Its a single comp, it doesn't matter if there's 1, 2 or 3 rounds of golf, the comp isn't closed until afetr the last round so the handicap stays the same throughout. I did mention this in another thread you made this observation...keep up:ears:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

That didn't happen then as his had changed after round 1

Strange that clubs are different and rules are not universal

Was the HC applied after the comp was fully closed ( both rounds ) or did it happen before the player started round 2 ?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its a single comp, it doesn't matter if there's 1, 2 or 3 rounds of golf, the comp isn't closed until afetr the last round so the handicap stays the same throughout. I did mention this in another thread you made this observation...keep up

I didn't see it mate.

But my playing partners handicap did change after round [why] if they are supposed to stay the same throughout?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I didn't see it mate.

But my playing partners handicap did change after round [why] if they are supposed to stay the same throughout?

You need to ask your competitions and handicap secretary why they choose to adopt this when 99% of other clubs don't?

D

Deleted member 15344

That's fine I will do,however is it a stated rule and if not then the club can do what it likes I suppose.

Its not a stated rule as such - how a club has their comp run will be up to them as long as they follow HC guidelines

If Your club wants the Nett champion to be the combined winner of two seperate comps with HC changes in between then thats up to them :thup:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
That's fine I will do,however is it a stated rule and if not then the club can do what it likes I suppose.

I can't find a "rule" but if its a competition that relies on the outcome of 2 or more rounds then the competition opens on round 1 and closes at the end of the last round so its not unreasonable to think that everyone's handicap should remain stable throughout that single competition!

Adjustments are then made after the competition closes.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Higher handicaps are not allowed normally in the [gross] club champs which tend to be for 9 handicap and less playing off bare feet, so what your saying now is that you want to penalise someone because their a Cat4 and had a decent couple of rounds in a nett comp more designed towards them, no doubt its a qualifier so they'll be cut after the comp so whats your problem :mad:

Stinks of snobbery and jealousy to me :angry:

I simply asked the question, I perhaps think that with no adjustment between rounds it could be unfair to lower handicap players if a high handicapper has a total stormer first round and effectively wins the comp there and then. But as I say many times in many different scenarios - who said golf was meant to be fair.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely a club champion has to be the best golfer on the day, so, it has to be a scratch event for the main club championship IMO.

Anyone can enter, but it has to be scratch scores.

We have a 36 hole qualifying weekend before the top 16 scratch players go into a matchplay draw. Finals day is last two standing. Winner is usually the best golfer in the club at that time.

There was also a parallel gross comp for Club Champion

D

Deleted member 15344

I simply asked the question, I perhaps think that with no adjustment between rounds it could be unfair to lower handicap players if a high handicapper has a total stormer first round and effectively wins the comp there and then. But as I say many times in many different scenarios - who said golf was meant to be fair.

But a high HC could also have a massive stinker and lose the comp

It's exactly what I did in my first year - playing of 24 I shot a net 62 - the next day I shot over a hundred and ten and came nowhere near

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Why do these lower handicappers always have to be wrapped in cotton wool and protected from the dreaded Cat4 golfer who is looking to improve their handicap and has a great round which will result in a cut afterwards, fair play to them I say, well done them, everyone should be pleased for them not threatened by them, its a bloody hobby, a pastime and club competition for gods sake, do they (lets say Cat2's) not have great rounds also in the same circumstances and Cat1's are then up in arms?

The handicap system is in place for a level playing field and to make the game inclusive, your trying to put divides into it and ostracise Cat4's to protect lower, or more elitist golfers, shame on you :angry:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I have to say I find this absolute nonsense, it would be very unusual (although not impossible) for a high HC to throw two consecutive rounds on the same day under their HC, it's hard enough for low cat 1's to do it.

Our recent club championship had a 1 hc shoot 2 under gross and was 3 clear of the field followed by a 6 over gross, he didn't bottle it as past champions tend to be able to see it out, he just had a bad second round.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
First off - I am not complaining. My question was based upon a comment I heard made in the clubhouse after 2nd round

The course was set up relatively straightforward for first round when all played.

For second round there was a cut on top 50 plus equals nett score (risks wiping out players who would compete for gross).

For second round course was set up tough - with pin positions long and difficult. Thinking only on Nett Comp - around our track a tough pin position makes nett par tough for the lower handicapper (obviously) - but less so for the higher handicapper. Our 28 handicapper got two shots on 10 holes so hitting the green is his objective rather than getting into the pin.

Note that in the situation I'm mentioning a 3 under handicap 1st round and level 2nd round is not blinding golf - and the fact that he came 3rd in nett shows how tough the course was second day (I did a 4 over handicap!)

But my question is really more about the situation where such as my 28 h/cap high handicapper could win the nett comp on day/round 1 with a total stormer - and as no cut for round 2 just needing to play close to or not too way much over his comp handicap on day 2.

I'm OK with it - it's just how it is.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have no problems with high handicappers winning net prizes at a Club Championship, what I detest is someone swanning around saying they won the 'Club Championship' when they were in fact 30+ shots adrift of the actual club champion.

Same as asking golfers what their medal score was and they just give you the net total.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
First off - I am not complaining. My question was based upon a comment I heard made in the clubhouse after 2nd round

The course was set up relatively straightforward for first round when all played.

For second round there was a cut on top 50 plus equals nett score (risks wiping out players who would compete for gross).

For second round course was set up tough - with pin positions long and difficult. Thinking only on Nett Comp - around our track a tough pin position makes nett par tough for the lower handicapper (obviously) - but less so for the higher handicapper. Our 28 handicapper got two shots on 10 holes so hitting the green is his objective rather than getting into the pin.

Note that in the situation I'm mentioning a 3 under handicap 1st round and level 2nd round is not blinding golf - and the fact that he came 3rd in nett shows how tough the course was second day (I did a 4 over handicap!)

But my question is really more about the situation where such as my 28 h/cap high handicapper could win the nett comp on day/round 1 with a total stormer - and as no cut for round 2 just needing to play close to or not too way much over his comp handicap on day 2.

You cannot win a 2 round 2 day comp on Day 1, no matter what anyone says or thinks, you can't.

It's not how it is.

D

Deleted member 15344

So the cut for the club championships is based on net and there isn't one based on gross ?!