Gender Free/Neutral Tees

wjemather

To me the main point about having a set of tees rated for both sexes means that you can have a comp off one set of the tees only. Quickly off the top of my head this means no need for course rating adjustment shots as it is already done in the course and slope ratings.
Mixed tee adjustments still apply due to the different Course Ratings (and/or pars in Stableford) for men and women. For example, our green tees have course ratings of 66.0 for men and 71.1 for women (par 67 for both), so the women receive a 5.1 adjustment in medal & match play and 5 strokes in Stableford.

Of course, if CONGU had adopted "CR-Par" in the Course Handicap calculation, we could forget mixed tee adjustments were ever a thing.

sunshine

The gender specific becomes muddy water now. Is it based on born gender or identifying gender?
USGA and R&A have aligned on a protocol for this that enables people to compete in identifying gender once they meet certain criteria. Looking to follow principles that have been adopted across many other sports, e.g. rugby where it could be dangerous.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
USGA and R&A have aligned on a protocol for this that enables people to compete in identifying gender once they meet certain criteria. Looking to follow principles that have been adopted across many other sports, e.g. rugby where it could be dangerous.
I’m not sure how’s it’s aligned though. For example let’s take Caitlyn Jenner, a previous male Olympic athlete which has transitioned and very openly. Arguably she was a very strong male athlete pre trans and if a golfer would have a very clear strength advantage of playing from the red tees against other women. On the flip if she was asked to play off the yellows or whites it would be discrimination. The same could be said if she competed in womens boxing, weight lifting etc.

The above are extreme and precise situations, but as I said I it definitely opens up muddy waters. I honestly feel with the gender fluid/neutral approach, tees should not be labelled as male or female, but we should label them as colours and the give them the appropriate SI. As this becomes more common you will have pre trans men playing off forward tee’s which could be deemed and advantage and pre trans women playing from whites which could be seen as a disadvantage. I would keep them labelled and allow the handicaps to work the difference out of a period of time.