F1 2019

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Verstappen the class of the field today. Pole position and the victory, having to pass Hamilton twice on track on the way to the win.

Hamilton having a mini meltdown after a dodgy strategy call near the end by Mercedes but the funniest moment was Vettel's total meltdown after Leclerc mugged him into Turn 1. Red mist moment for Vettel who proceeded to smash both of them off the road. There must be a few senior folks at Ferrari seriously looking around for Vettel's replacement. Would be surprised if next season isn't his last in a Prancing Horse.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the best races of the season. Wonder if the Ferrari camp has calmed down. I wonder if Vettel's time is nearly up there? Seems to be lacking something and only fifth in the standings.
Vettel’s behaviour has changed after world championship no.2.
I wonder really what’s going on.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Both Ferrari drivers ordered back to the team HQ in Italy, following their crash yesterday. Wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall for that meeting.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Both Ferrari drivers ordered back to the team HQ in Italy, following their crash yesterday. Wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall for that meeting.

They of course have to appear even handed in public, hence both drivers being called in, but it will in fact be a serious dressing down for Vettel, Leclerc did nothing wrong.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
They of course have to appear even handed in public, hence both drivers being called in, but it will in fact be a serious dressing down for Vettel, Leclerc did nothing wrong.

Just watched it, again, on YouTube. Vettel said after the race that he had nowhere to go, and that LeClerc was forcing him wide. The vid, shot from behind, shows a very different story. And its worth looking at the car in front of them. It was on the line that Vettel was originally on. Vettel moved across, trying to 'bully' LeClerc. I don't have a problem with drivers moving across, providing they don't force another driver off the track, but they have to accept the risk and the consequences of that style of driving.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just watched it, again, on YouTube. Vettel said after the race that he had nowhere to go, and that LeClerc was forcing him wide. The vid, shot from behind, shows a very different story. And its worth looking at the car in front of them. It was on the line that Vettel was originally on. Vettel moved across, trying to 'bully' LeClerc. I don't have a problem with drivers moving across, providing they don't force another driver off the track, but they have to accept the risk and the consequences of that style of driving.

It's pretty stupid steering straight left into a car on your left that you haven't passed yet. If he had kept his foot in it and in a straight line, he would have passed Leclerc by turn 4. Leclerc left him the room he needed. But as you say, Vettel tried to cut across him to put him in his place but misjudged it as he hadn't passed him yet and took them both off.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just watched it as well.
Basically blame Vettel, but the lead car owns the road position.
Why would he move across? Well it's hard to be sure but he wants a better line of entry into the upcoming corner as it's critical. He needs to stay away from the marbles that are flung to the outside of that turn and he needs to get the exit because your climbing to the next turn, so he wants early power down and pure traction. So basically those are the motivators.

I am thinking that Vettel won't get a rollocking, Leclerc won't either but he will be told about fighting and not fighting ... he could have mugged Vettel at turn 1 again using the DRS or stuck it on Vettel at the same place the incident happened... Vettel had 4 extra laps on the soft tyre and tyre degradation in the first few laps is pretty huge.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As usual, Vettel cocked up and won't accept he made the mistake. He is a has been now, and will never win another WDC. He is in complete contrast to Hamilton, who straight away admitted his error and apologised straight away.
I know which one I think is more classy.