Dress Code Question

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
The day I get upset about what someone else is wearing on a golf course is the day you can shoot me.

I can understand why some people like them as they appreciate the whole rules and regulations element of the sport, and fair enough, it's their life. But not for me really. If it was left to me to wear whatever I wanted on the course I'd still wear the same thing as I do now and have no inclination to wear jeans, flip flops or whatever else some golfers thing will bring round the end of civilisation. But I'd feel a bit less like I was being treated like a child who has to be told what to do as they can't work it our for themselves, and more like a grown adult who can make up their own mind.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I get all that, what I have tried to understand over the years is why

Personally I tuck my shirt in, wear polo tops, belt on my trousers but if others want to wear an untucked t-shirt, cargo shorts/trousers one red sock & one green sock then that is their choice. It doesn't offend me or make me think any different of them.

Some of the sights you see that confirm to the dress code(s) look far "scruffier"

Thumbs up. Like etc etc

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is the only stance i find odd, i really cant see the difference between a supposed golf polo, one from a high end fashion retailer, and one from primani. If the asthetics are similar that is. If by golf attire, we strictly mean only those produced for golf by a manufacturer of golf clothing and other such paraphernalia, then well thats just daft for all but the most exclusive establishments.

That all being said, never had an issue with dress codes as long as its fairly generic.

How do all feel about the shirts tucked in rule?

What I was trying to say is that it was questioned by a member when he was criticised for wearing a pair of shorts that failed to meet the dress code but he had bought them in the proshop. The rule was clarified with that addenda.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The reason was because it was part of the dress code.

Couple of years back my club trialled a relaxed dress code for 4 summer months. We had a vote across the membership at the end of the trial period. We accepted jeans and untucked shirts in the clubhouse; We rejected untucked shirts on the course (jeans on the course weren't trialled)

Any visitor or new member asking why tucked shirts on course? Answer is that that is what the membership prefers.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Clubs are democratic and can make their rules as they wish, and people can choose to be members of them or not, but I find it truly extraordinary in this day and age that people choose to impose restriction of the dress choice of their peers. They should get on with just playing their own game in the attire of their choosing rather than judging others who simply want to play their game.
There is no way around it, it is no less than old fashioned snobbery, elitism, and a desire to maintain some sort of class distinction between those they deem suitable to be fellow clubmates, and those they wish to exclude. It is no small contributor to the decline in golf participation, and its rising age profile.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Clubs are democratic and can make their rules as they wish, and people can choose to be members of them or not, but I find it truly extraordinary in this day and age that people choose to impose restriction of the dress choice of their peers. They should get on with just playing their own game in the attire of their choosing rather than judging others who simply want to play their game.
There is no way around it, it is no less than old fashioned snobbery, elitism, and a desire to maintain some sort of class distinction between those they deem suitable to be fellow clubmates, and those they wish to exclude. It is no small contributor to the decline in golf participation, and its rising age profile.

What a crock of nonsense.

Many clubs are flourishing with restricted dress codes in the same way many clubs are struggling with relaxed dress codes.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

The rising age profile didn't see dress codes as a barrier to joining a golf club :whistle:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't believe this has racked up 28 pages, I must have inadvertently opened a can of worms!

I think ultimately everyone has a slightly different view on dress codes. But luckily there are huge numbers of courses, each with slightly different nuances on it, so we can just play wherever suits us really.

But to answer my original question - they just let Tiger do what he wants right? :D

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can't believe this has racked up 28 pages, I must have inadvertently opened a can of worms!

I think ultimately everyone has a slightly different view on dress codes. But luckily there are huge numbers of courses, each with slightly different nuances on it, so we can just play wherever suits us really.

But to answer my original question - they just let Tiger do what he wants right? :D

Ad king as his shirt is tucked in then yes ;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

It is no small contributor to the decline in golf participation, and its rising age profile.

I would love to see some proof to back this claim up?

What a crock of nonsense.

Many clubs are flourishing with restricted dress codes in the same way many clubs are struggling with relaxed dress codes.

I would go as far as saying that the traditional clubs with dress code etc are doing better than most of the more relaxed proprietary clubs. Certainly all the ones that have closed in the last few years in my neck of the woods have been 'more relaxed'.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I would love to see some proof to back this claim up?

I would go as far as saying that the traditional clubs with dress code etc are doing better than most of the more relaxed proprietary clubs. Certainly all the ones that have closed in the last few years in my neck of the woods have been 'more relaxed'.

The ones closed had far more to do with income that what people did or did not wear. There are plenty of golf clubs in Dorset that are pretty casual and doing well. There seems little correlation one way or the other re courses shutting and what the players wear.

Personally I prefer relatively smart clothes on the course, exclude jeans and normal t shirts. My son has golf clothes and playing golf is the smartist he looks except for going to school. The younger generation seem to live in super casual stuff and that's fine.

I think the main issue is not that clubs have a dress code but why they have that specific dress code and it seems while there is no logical reason for the code just like some granddads wear suits every Sunday some people like the smart dress code. People dress better on golf courses than going to church these days, I wonder if him upstairs is impressed or not...

D

Deleted Member 1156

The ones closed had far more to do with income that what people did or did not wear.

I assume you are referring to Canford Magna? Personally, I wouldn't want to play there because on the couple of times that I did I thought it was a bit chavvy so I wouldn't spend my money there. I'm happy to spend my money at one of the smarter clubs though.

So yes, they shut due to lack of income but do you see my point?

Mastercracker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Add me to the camp who'd be happy for people to wear what they want. I work in an office and for the last year we've been able to wear whatever. Everybody works just as well as before and nothing else has changed. However, most golf dress codes aren't bad and its not that much of a hardship to wear a polo shirt etc to play.

The problem I do have with Golf Clubs (the three ive been a member of anyway) is more in the clubhouse dress code than on course. I'd like to support the club and call in for a pint or meal on a weekend or on the way home. I live within walking distance of my previous club and sitting outside with a pint on a sunny sunday afternoon watching people come down the 18th with the Mrs would have been nice and would be extra revenue for the club. Never did it though cos whilst you could always wear jeans I aren't putting shoes on instead of trainers or tucking my polo shirt into jeans just for the privilege. She certainly didn't want to put a blouse on or something similar just for that.

We always just went to a pub with a bear garden instead or to the cricket club instead. Seems daft to lose revenue for that reason.