Dress Code Question

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Which ones with strict dress codes are closing with that being a factor in the reason why they are closing ?

A golf course closes because of the standard of the course - if the course is poor it will close. Courses aren't closing because of dress codes and stuffy attitudes

And you can wear ankle socks and shorts at Woburn - you can in most places.

can't be bothered anymore.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i disagree.

beau destert
little Aston
Whittington heath.

all strict, all struggling. beau destert cant even afford to fill all their bunkers with sand

courses such as the belfry and forest of arden are racking it in

Do you seriously believe Little Aston are struggling?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you seriously believe Little Aston are struggling?

two of the pros at my place are members. they have to borrow green keeping equipment and constantly having fund rasers. they are certainly staying afloat but by no means flush

one member just Baught them a new green iron

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quite shocked to hear this actually.

what shocked me was a spreadsheet he showed me of the current membership. it showed majority elderly and very little 25 and below. i wonder if this is a common theme. cant be good for our sport if it is

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
what shocked me was a spreadsheet he showed me of the current membership. it showed majority elderly and very little 25 and below. i wonder if this is a common theme. cant be good for our sport if it is

That membership doesn't surprise me given it's quite an exclusive club

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
try something for a test. Tomorrow or Sunday, turn up and play in a t shirt or cargo shorts. Don't "ask permission" first, just go out to play. Then report back as to whether anyone said anything and more importantly WHO said anything. And whether you had a discussion back and won over. I'd be interested to hear the results.. most won't give it a go but I hope some do.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

But that's because they are a private club and the membership has to divi up for all the costs. Maybe that's why they are having more and more societies there recently, to dilute the annual divide of expenses?

You've also mentioned Beau Desert a few times over the years as struggling, I don't think they are personally, or certainly not as much as you make out. I know the club and GM very well. You still can't join immediately as a 7-day member and have to join and wait as a 5-day member before the 7-day quota allows a gap, as it's still full now. I know this as I have looked to join there over the last 3 years as a second club but I'm waiting to go straight in as a 7-day member as 5-day membership doesn't interest me. In fact over the last 3 years they have made changes to the course where they have introduced new bunkers, moved and rebuilt tee areas etc, not sure why they'd do that if they couldn't fill them with sand? I know this because I update the course annually for SkyCaddie.

As for Whittington Heath, I could imagine there was some unrest due to the HS2 scenario, but that's resolved now and they have the funds to redesign the course splitting it into 2 x 9's either side of the clubhouse, still on sand so will still be very good drainage, and especially with the funds they've secured. Yes its a big change for them but financially now with those HS2 funds I can't see why they would be struggling?

I don't think there's that much doom and gloom in the Midlands, well no different to anywhere else with ageing memberships. Here in Coventry at my club we are welcoming loads of new members from the perfect age groups, and yet these are mainly coming from the kind of clubs you are highlighting as being more relaxed and are resort style clubs. Those golfers actually don't like being second best to large societies, restricted tee times, course getting hacked up, no separate members bar area, being stuck behind 5hr rounds and the list could go on that we can all associate with resort style clubs that rely more on visitors than actual members and so they are more set up towards them, with the membership being second fiddle. The course may well still attract a membership like the Belfry and Forest does, but you have to take into consideration the negatives and accept them for the quality of the course on offer, some will and some won't.

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
But that's because they are a private club and the membership has to divi up for all the costs. Maybe that's why they are having more and more societies there recently, to dilute the annual divide of expenses?

You've also mentioned Beau Desert a few times over the years as struggling, I don't think they are personally, or certainly not as much as you make out. I know the club and GM very well. You still can't join immediately as a 7-day member and have to join and wait as a 5-day member before the 7-day quota allows a gap, as it's still full now. I know this as I have looked to join there over the last 3 years as a second club but I'm waiting to go straight in as a 7-day member as 5-day membership doesn't interest me. In fact over the last 3 years they have made changes to the course where they have introduced new bunkers, moved and rebuilt tee areas etc, not sure why they'd do that if they couldn't fill them with sand? I know this because I update the course annually for SkyCaddie.

As for Whittington Heath, I could imagine there was some unrest due to the HS2 scenario, but that's resolved now and they have the funds to redesign the course splitting it into 2 x 9's either side of the clubhouse, still on sand so will still be very good drainage, and especially with the funds they've secured. Yes its a big change for them but financially now with those HS2 funds I can't see why they would be struggling?

I don't think there's that much doom and gloom in the Midlands, well no different to anywhere else with ageing memberships. Here in Coventry at my club we are welcoming loads of new members from the perfect age groups, and yet these are mainly coming from the kind of clubs you are highlighting as being more relaxed and are resort style clubs. Those golfers actually don't like being second best to large societies, restricted tee times, course getting hacked up, no separate members bar area, being stuck behind 5hr rounds and the list could go on that we can all associate with resort style clubs that rely more on visitors than actual members and so they are more set up towards them, with the membership being second fiddle. The course may well still attract a membership like the Belfry and Forest does, but you have to take into consideration the negatives and accept them for the quality of the course on offer, some will and some won't.

i play beau almost weekly

beau haven't moved any bunkers. they remodeled one.
they didn't move any trees, they blew down

as for new tee's. they had to make the course longers to satisfy the requirement to keep the stag event

there's isn't a waiting list to be a 7 day member. you cant walk straight on as a 7 day member if you're a cat 1 golfer.

my is manager off 18 had also just walked in as a 7 day member too. if you're serious about joining perhaps i could ask how he managed to do that . they would have to do it for you

and Whittington has been paid off by the hs2. but they haven't seen a penny yet. the club house is going and going to be located where the 1st green is. they will not profit from hs2. they are paying for a new club house and landscaping of another 7 holes

Last edited:

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In most sports the idea of the attire is to aid functionality and/or performance. In golf this is occasionally lost. Whether a shirt has a collar or is untucked makes no difference to functionality/performance. Whether socks are a certain length or colour makes no difference to functionality/performance. Whether shorts have large pockets on the side makes no difference to functionality/performance etc etc.

It is more about ingrained old fashioned attitudes and values. Taking a step back, as long as what a person is wearing isn't going to offend anyone (i.e. they are decent) and doesn't damage the course then it shouldn't matter. The argument about respect is also one about attitudes for me. A club has the right to insist on a set dress code, but why be so draconian? Realistically what difference does it make? Diversity is a bit of a buzz word but in modern society aren't we meant to celebrate the fact people are different?

I think I've used this point before: When I started going out clubs and some pubs insisted on shirt, trousers and shoes. EVERYONE conformed and it didn't impact on anyone's enjoyment. In the late nineties this was relaxed leaving people with the choice of what to wear. Some stuck to the shirt, trouser and shoe combo. Some wore tshirts, jeans and trainers. It was about choice. The standard of anyone's night out didn't diminish because of what others were wearing. In a similar way that someones round of golf isn't impaired by what anyone else is wearing.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
In most sports the idea of the attire is to aid functionality and/or performance. In golf this is occasionally lost. Whether a shirt has a collar or is untucked makes no difference to functionality/performance. Whether socks are a certain length or colour makes no difference to functionality/performance. Whether shorts have large pockets on the side makes no difference to functionality/performance etc etc.

It is more about ingrained old fashioned attitudes and values. Taking a step back, as long as what a person is wearing isn't going to offend anyone (i.e. they are decent) and doesn't damage the course then it shouldn't matter. The argument about respect is also one about attitudes for me. A club has the right to insist on a set dress code, but why be so draconian? Realistically what difference does it make? Diversity is a bit of a buzz word but in modern society aren't we meant to celebrate the fact people are different?

I think I've used this point before: When I started going out clubs and some pubs insisted on shirt, trousers and shoes. EVERYONE conformed and it didn't impact on anyone's enjoyment. In the late nineties this was relaxed leaving people with the choice of what to wear. Some stuck to the shirt, trouser and shoe combo. Some wore tshirts, jeans and trainers. It was about choice. The standard of anyone's night out didn't diminish because of what others were wearing. In a similar way that someones round of golf isn't impaired by what anyone else is wearing.

you make a good point. i personally have no problem wearing what the clubs ask but equally wouldn't mind if my playing partner wore jeans. cant imagine it being comfortable though. if dress codes where completely abolished then the only change I would make is to wear a rounds neck t-shirt in the winter as i hate it when you have your sweater collar stacked on top of my t-shirt collar

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
you make a good point. i personally have no problem wearing what the clubs ask but equally wouldn't mind if my playing partner wore jeans. cant imagine it being comfortable though. if dress codes where completely abolished then the only change I would make is to wear a rounds neck t-shirt in the winter as i hate it when you have your sweater collar stacked on top of my t-shirt collar

But if they completely abolished the dress code you'd find some idiot wearing a string vest, speedo's and flip flops - no matter what level a club dress code is at someone will always look awful and someone else really Smart!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
But if they completely abolished the dress code you'd find some idiot wearing a string vest, speedo's and flip flops - no matter what level a club dress code is at someone will always look awful and someone else really Smart!

i would pay alot of money to see that. 😁

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Simple rule at our club-

If it is designed to be worn on a golf course and is for sale in a golf pro shop then you are allowed to wear it on a golf course. Despite the fact that our list of non allowed clothing (with pictures) needs two pages of A4 to show it all.

No T shirts have always made me smile -one rule for gents and another for ladies (quite a common ladies fashion is a T shirt under a jumper)

Visit site
Simple rule at our club-

If it is designed to be worn on a golf course and is for sale in a golf pro shop then you are allowed to wear it on a golf course. Despite the fact that our list of non allowed clothing (with pictures) needs two pages of A4 to show it all.

No T shirts have always made me smile -one rule for gents and another for ladies (quite a common ladies fashion is a T shirt under a jumper)

This is the only stance i find odd, i really cant see the difference between a supposed golf polo, one from a high end fashion retailer, and one from primani. If the asthetics are similar that is. If by golf attire, we strictly mean only those produced for golf by a manufacturer of golf clothing and other such paraphernalia, then well thats just daft for all but the most exclusive establishments.

That all being said, never had an issue with dress codes as long as its fairly generic.

How do all feel about the shirts tucked in rule?