Dress Code Question

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our golf club has a dress code but it isn't enforced at all.

We have all levels of players from absolute hackers to scratch players. The hackers all start on the 9 hole course wearing whatever they like. They get the bug and eventually make the trek out the big course. A lot of times still wearing hoodies and jeans. They all eventually want to fit in and buy golf gear as they get more experience and grow into the game. A rigorously enforced dress code scare these players off.

When I moved to England I turned up as a scruffy Irish man with my shirt untucked. By the time I left I actually enjoyed the feeling of looking smart with the shirt tucked in.

I have no problems with dress codes. The better the course the more chance they will have a dress code and enforce it.

Golf gear is ideal for playing golf. Picking the ball out of the hole in a pair of skinny jeans can't be easy. Lol

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I mentioned wearing sports attire when playing sport - it's what most of us do , when you watch people play football they are all wearing football tops , when people play cricket they wear cricket clothes so why do people get all uppity when golf clubs ask people to wear golf clothing when playing golf ?

You can wear golf tops without collars - as long as they are recognised golfing attire - the Nike tops for example are golfing tops.

Yes but that is where your logic fails! If you must wear recognised golf clothing for golf, does that mean you cannot wear walking waterproofs (as many advocate on here), Asda polo tops, jumbo cords from M&S, jumpers from Sainsbury's etc?

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes but that is where your logic fails! If you must wear recognised golf clothing for golf, does that mean you cannot wear walking waterproofs (as many advocate on here), Asda polo tops, jumbo cords from M&S, jumpers from Sainsbury's etc?

Yes they can wear that because it's golfing attire - polo tops , jumpers etc - can be used as golfing attire.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Good point well made. Is a £5 Primark polo shirt not considered golfing attire? Does it have to have a recognised name or log. When is a polo not a golfing polo?

D

Deleted member 15344

You're making this up now to fit your argument lol

Making what up ? I know plenty of people who wear plain polos that have been bought from a departments store , loads also wear cords which no golf label makes - all acceptable dress to play golf in.

Not one single dress code I have seen states that the polo shirt must be "Nike or Adidas" - same with trousers or shorts ( i have one pair of M&S shorts I wear )

The only specific I have seen is where it comes to collarless tops where I have seen a dress code state that they must be from a recognised golf manufacturer and designed for golf ( same with Cargo shorts )

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You're making this up now to fit your argument lol

That happens!

What is recognised golfing attire then. There seems no definition does there? It's very easy, if you're a visitor check the club website and stick with what they ask for. If you're a member somewhere and you feel you can get away with then go for it but don't be surprised if some start giving you a hard time

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Most dress codes stipulate collar on shirt. It doesn't mention that it has to be golf specific.

It assumes common sense when trying to adhere to these rules.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Making what up ? I know plenty of people who wear plain polos that have been bought from a departments store , loads also wear cords which no golf label makes - all acceptable dress to play golf in.

Not one single dress code I have seen states that the polo shirt must be "Nike or Adidas" - same with trousers or shorts ( i have one pair of M&S shorts I wear )

The only specific I have seen is where it comes to collarless tops where I have seen a dress code state that they must be from a recognised golf manufacturer and designed for golf ( same with Cargo shorts )

The last paragraph is exactly what I mean. Making things up to fit the argument!

A polo shirt is a polo shirt regardless and allowed however a non collared shirt is only allowed if it is from a recognised golf manufacturer

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That happens!

What is recognised golfing attire then. There seems no definition does there? It's very easy, if you're a visitor check the club website and stick with what they ask for. If you're a member somewhere and you feel you can get away with then go for it but don't be surprised if some start giving you a hard time

I agree that you should check if you a visitor and if you don't like the rules don't go.

I also wouldn't play in jeans (or chinos, cords etc) and I normally wear polos (in winter a base layer under a thermal mid layer and a windproof)

My point however is what is wrong with a t shirt or pair of shorts with a pocket on th leg. All this nonsense over an extra piece of material or a missing collar, just ridiculous

D

Deleted member 15344

The last paragraph is exactly what I mean. Making things up to fit the argument!

A polo shirt is a polo shirt regardless and allowed however a non collared shirt is only allowed if it is from a recognised golf manufacturer

Yes that's the exact dress code I have seen and expect - the collarless ones are pretty new ( mock collar have been around for years ) - no one is making anything up

Some clubs may not even allow the Rory type tops they are wearing right now because it doesn't have a collar

A collarless top can be vast arrange of tops including t shirts

But then it's all common sense - you know that a golf club won't allow a t shirt but common sense would dictate that they would allow a collarless top that has been designed specifically for golf - that's just common sense. Same with the cargo shorts - we don't allow the denim hard wearing type but the ones that Nike and Callaway make we do allow.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The dress code at my club on course and in the clubhouse for tops is a collar. If you came in with these Nike numbers kicking around now or the turtle neck Tiger wore for a bit then someone would say something. If you were a visitor the Pro wouldn't take your money.

Far too much is made about on course dress codes on here. If a club say trousers and a collared top them so be it, it's no hardship and if you don't want to wear it go and play elsewhere.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Same with the cargo shorts - we don't allow the denim hard wearing type but the ones that Nike and Callaway make we do allow.

Denim I think is a given. However how does a golfer know whether a cargo short from Primark or other high street retailer is compliant when to all purposes it's no different to the Nike ones bar the log and the price

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The dress code at my club on course and in the clubhouse for tops is a collar. If you came in with these Nike numbers kicking around now or the turtle neck Tiger wore for a bit then someone would say something. If you were a visitor the Pro wouldn't take your money.

Far too much is made about on course dress codes on here. If a club say trousers and a collared top them so be it, it's no hardship and if you don't want to wear it go and play elsewhere.

I don't disagree but I still think it is ridiculous and there are no sound and reasonable reasons for them

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't disagree but I still think it is ridiculous and there are no sound and reasonable reasons for them

its clear from all the posts that it will always be a hot topic. however, the blazer brigade are a dieing breed.

like it was said earlier. I'm sure people felt very passionate when a tie and tweed suit was relaxed but it happened. i have no problem with hardcore traditional clubs and their dress code. Just dont moan when you have no money and a dwindling membership

D

Deleted member 15344

its clear from all the posts that it will always be a hot topic. however, the blazer brigade are a dieing breed.

like it was said earlier. I'm sure people felt very passionate when a tie and tweed suit was relaxed but it happened. i have no problem with hardcore traditional clubs and their dress code. Just dont moan when you have no money and a dwindling membership

The clubs with the strict dress codes and hardcore traditions are the clubs more flush both financially and with queuing waiting lists than any other clubs out there

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The clubs with the strict dress codes and hardcore traditions are the clubs more flush both financially and with queuing waiting lists than any other clubs out there

i disagree.

beau destert
little Aston
Whittington heath.

all strict, all struggling. beau destert cant even afford to fill all their bunkers with sand

courses such as the belfry and forest of arden are racking it in

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

i disagree.

beau destert
little Aston
Whittington heath.

all strict, all struggling. beau destert cant even afford to fill all their bunkers with sand

ALl the Open courses , the top courses within Berkshire , Hampshire , Surrey , prob most of the top 100 clubs bar the odd one have dress codes with many requiring jacket and tie etc - and all will be healthy , cash rich and queues of people wanting to join them.

And courses like Belfry and Forest of Arden are full of pay and play and it's showing on the courses and the standard of them which drops as the years go by.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
ALl the Open courses , the top courses within Berkshire , Hampshire , Surrey , prob most of the top 100 clubs bar the odd one have dress codes with many requiring jacket and tie etc - and all will be healthy , cash rich and queues of people wanting to join them.

And courses like Belfry and Forest of Arden are full of pay and play and it's showing on the courses and the standard of them which drops as the years go by.

theres always going to be popularity with those courses as they advertise themselves. other courses that dont have a list of open events cant sell themselves. you only have to look at this forum to see how many courses are closing

oh, and the starter at woburn didn't say anything when i rocked up with shorts and ankle socks

the pay and play isn't showing on my course. infact the condition knocks spots off anything local. more money, more green keepers

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

theres always going to be popularity with those courses as they advertise themselves. other courses that dont have a list of open events cant sell themselves. you only have to look at this forum to see how many courses are closing

Which ones with strict dress codes are closing with that being a factor in the reason why they are closing ?

A golf course closes because of the standard of the course - if the course is poor it will close. Courses aren't closing because of dress codes and stuffy attitudes

And you can wear ankle socks and shorts at Woburn - you can in most places.